Missed gears, vagueness ?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Missed gears, vagueness ?
By Jonno on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:22 pm:  View Jonno's Profile Search for other posts by Jonno Edit this post

my falco seems a little, urm, vague about going into 5th & 6th. Seems like you have to be extra extra positive or you miss it which is more than stressful.

I guess this isn't normal. Can anyone speculate - should I take it in to have checked ?

Jon
[from the UK]  

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 01:49 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

I did have a bit of a problem missing gears. I found that adjusting the gear leaver down solved it. However, it was not just in 5th&6th. Maybee you should have it checked out.
Good luck.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:10 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

This is a common observation that Ive read about, more so on the american based forums. If your engine is fairly new then it should improve with age.
IMO The other two things worth mentioning are
1..the standard gear lever pivot fit/quality leaves a lot to be desired. Mine has gone very sloppy and I will probably end up making my own pivot using a small ball bearing or fitting the RSV lever direct off the change shaft
2..Running 10/40 synth/semi synth oil instead of 15/50 makes a HUGE difference to the Aprilia engines gearbox action.

HTH a little bit 

By Falcofreak on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 11:47 pm:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Don't you EVER considder to use 10/40 instead of 15/50 or 10/50. You NEED the high viscosity for the high torque the 1000ccm motor gives. If you go for the thinner oil you will have increased wear in bearings and cylinders.
I have had the same problems in 4th and 5th in the beginning, but after a few thousand kms it disappears. Perhaps its because you get used to the bike or ???
Stay happy.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:28 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Sorry Falcofreak, I dont agree.
Modern synthetic/semi-synth oils are very good at lubricating cylinders and bearings, even highly stressed single cylinder engines use the lighter oil to good effect. In fact I think lighter oil is better for roller bearings?
Maybe the thicker oil has better properties for gear teeth contact but even then lighter oil doesnt necessarily mean more wear, talking from experience, rather than theory.
IMO that the lighter oil suits my Aprilias clutch a whole lot better too.

There is a good proportion of Aprilia owners now running 10/40 cos of these reasons. I know this doesnt mean that they are all right! I discussed this with my Aprilia dealer a few months back and he said he never uses 15/50 in the V60 engines, only 10/40 (semi synth) and has service quite a few high mileage bikes with no ill effects. I took this independant advice as backup that I was doing the right thing.

When it comes down to it, it depends on what the owner wants (or their service engineer prefers). I personally prefer the lighter grade as the bike performs so much better using it. I also dont expect to be worried about whether the engine will be good for 100K miles, itll be in somebody elses hands (scrap yard?) then!

All MHO of course! 

By Falcofreak on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 02:16 am:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Hey CRM33,
It's up to you and O.K. with me what YOU do, but I would never take the responsibility to give an advice to another biker, that I wasn't 100% sure of.
I'm still convinced that the constructors of the motor know more about it than different dealers. It is my experience that dealers are the most intelligent and knowing people (according to themselves).
Strange enough they seldom agree with each other.
I have twice picked up my bike after service, and the dealer had overfilled it with oil (different dealers). Once my motor blocked on my way home from 7500km service due to overfilling. I must admit I don't have much respect for their knowledge and care of our expensive bikes, in Denmark we pay for 3 bikes and get 1, so we are not prepared to take any risk.
Wkr.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 03:08 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

It was just my own opinion based on my experiences.

Hopefully it can be useful to a fellow falconeer or totally ignored (as usual)...take it or leave it as they say. Thats a part of what this forum is for isnt it?

...and all done in the best possible taste! 

By Litre1 on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:34 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

One of the problems we have in the US is that 15/50 is not available off the shelf (at least I've not found it). So, unless we mail order it, we are forced to use 10/40 or 20/50. I like the 10/40, but only use it in the fall/winter/spring months as I am afraid it might break down too much in Atlanta's extreme summer heat. So I use 20/50 in the summer. It is always Golden Spectro semi-synth. Anyone have any opinions about this practice?  

By Falcofreak on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 06:54 am:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

I THINK you are doing right, but why don't you write to "apriliatester.com" and ask the question.

I have done this before and it only takes a few days before you have an answer you can trust.

By Befbever on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 10:43 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Falcofreak,
if you look back at threads about clutch problems, you will find that I've has switched from 15W50 Motul to 10W40 Denicol. I did this after long consideration and after asking opinions from Crmc among others. My dealer doesn't advise against it, although he doesn't sell the oil. I bring it with me when the bike goes in for a service.
Got 38.000 km, clutch & gearbox are silky smooth and the bike now uses less oil than with the thicker one!

And I've whooped a GSX-R 750's arse today - in corners AND acceleration.

Man, I just luuuuuuuuuuurve these BT-012 SS tyres!

By Oldgit on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 12:34 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

The oil argument again

Having recived a new service book from Aprilia, I noticed in the lubrication chart it say's recommended engine oil: IP superbike 4, SAE 5W-40 or CCMG G4. API.SG specification or better.

So even Aprilia is having trouble making up there minds. I use 15-50 when I can find it or 10-40 if I can't just bought some Motul 5100 10-40 at 2 quid a litre, it will do for the winter  

By Jacko on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:59 pm:  View Jacko's Profile Search for other posts by Jacko Edit this post

jonno,I had a similar problem the other day
i had trouble changing any gear,when i stopped i realised the gearchange footpeg had come loose so when i had my weight on it it trapped the shaft against the frame!
so now i've nipped it up FT.
it's getting a bit like my old T100SS for things coming loose.
jacko  

By Falcohell on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 10:55 pm:  View Falcohell's Profile Search for other posts by Falcohell Edit this post

Jonno I have had the exact same experience with my Falco - especially when brand new. It has improved with a few kms on it (almost 2800kms now).

I also found 4th and 5th to be worse less than 5000rpm, but this has improved with more kms on it.

I think this is normal from what others told me. Its not much of a problem these days - and fifth is quite good now, but I am still cautious with sixth.  

By Falcofreak on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:35 am:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Hey again Befbever,
You have the Barnett clutch don't you? i have heard it should be much better than the original one.
I must say I have had slipping after each oilchange (15/50) with heavy acceleration in 4th and 5th, but it allways disappear after approx. 500kms. I feel the gearbox (and the motor)is getting better and better. I have now 27200kms on the clock (in 14 months). I have had no problems except exceeding my tire budget.
Love to hear you beated another Japaneese, its my favorite hobby. 

By Befbever on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 05:40 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

No, I don't have the Barnett clutch. Just a new stock one, 5000 km or so on it now.
I had the clutch slipping as well after oil changes (15/50 then) but I don't anymore since I switched to 10/40.

Just remember that each time your clutch slips, it's wearing the frictions down. Check out my rant about the clutch here if you want to know more.

Beffy The Clutch Slayer

By Falcofreak on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 07:18 am:  View Falcofreak's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofreak Edit this post

Hey again Bef,
I just checked your article, it's very informative, thanks.
Why don't you send it to Aprilia directly. I'm sure you will get an answer, and I will be very interested in seing their reply. You almost convinced me to go for the thinner oil, but still I'm a little worried.
One thing i didn't understand is: "IMHO could cause the PPC to fail", please explain to an ignorant (die dumme Dänen) you know. /
Have a nice weekend. 

By Befbever on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 07:32 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I don't have any faith in 'Aprilia directly'. Most of them don't know any English anyway and my Italian is a bit rusty.
Have you looked at the RSV 2003's side stand? It's still the same bloody thing! This tells me Aprilia don't give a crap if any of their bikes fall over. On the contrary, the more that fall over, the more body parts they sell.
But if you think it's worth a try, I'm up for it.

Well, the PPC works on vacuum. I was thinking that once you have springs that are too strong, the membrane isn't going to overcome the spring force anymore. Not that that's much of an issue because it only works on high revs. At least my rear wheel keeps locking easily.

Feel free to knock my theory. I'm not too sensitive.

Have a jolly good weekend as well!

By Jonno on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 04:59 am:  View Jonno's Profile Search for other posts by Jonno Edit this post

Thank you everyone for your input.

My conclusions from this (correct me if I'm wrong) are that it seems fairly normal to have 'problems' with 5th & 6th and its one of those Falco quirks that we all love :)  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation