Changing the bike's geometry? BT012-SS

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Changing the bike's geometry? BT012-SS
By Befbever on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 06:39 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Well, I've got the BT012-ss tyres front and rear now. I haven't had a chance to scrub them in yet, but the steering can only be described as very quick, yet neutral. High speed stability is like the D207's, so excellent.
What stands out most is the shape of the front tyre. Very very round, the tyre screams out lean angle. "Oi, enough with that straight-line shit, gimme corners and fast!"

Which brings me to my question. I can't figure out why I should change anything ride-heightwise.
The D207's were a night and day difference to the OE Metzelers. And this Bridgestone is even quicker to steer in. The bike doesn't drop into corners, mind. Compared to the slicks I rode with, the BT's are faster at turning in. I've yet to discover how much grip they have, but I'm confident that they deliver what is promised.

Yet, I keep reading about people changing the rear ride height or dropping the forks or whatever. I don't mind the odd experiment, but I wouldn't know how I can improve the handling even more. I mean, can this bike handle better than this? Seems impossible to me, really.

Any flaws in my reasoning? Flames to the usual address.  

By Crmc33 on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 06:58 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

If youre happy - dont change!

I wasnt happy so I did change. I felt that the OE shock made the bike understeer quite noticeably under power out of corners. The Mille (or T'Flex shock like yours) allows you to dial this out with compression damping. Ive increased my rear ride height a bit at a time and it feels ideal for me now. The bike feels 'sharper' at the expense of more wrist load. Of course, good tyres also helps here.

At the end of the day (which it nearly is here..Friday afternoon! Yippee) it depends on how you like a bike to handle!

Yope dis yelps..altho I know it doesnt! 

By Litre1 on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:34 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I found the same thing, Bef. I couldn't be happier with the 012SS's. Now, I am not one to jump in and start changing things without a good reason.

I just got home from a 1700 mile trip, and have definitely decided that the rear shock needs a bit more preload (as if I haven't read that all over this forum). The Falco is my first sportbike, and I really like to keep the comfort level while enjoying the performance--thus the decision to buy the Falco instead of the RSV or R1, etc. So my first change to the suspension is forthcoming, right after I get feeling back in my right hand and replace the nail-punctured rear tire. I rode nearly the entire trip with a finish nail in the rear tire. I figured if air pressure doesn't drop, why mess with it.

Anyway, the 012SS's improve turn in 110%, and I'll stick with them at least until I can explore their limits. By the way, they warm up incredibly well, and wet grip is more than you would think by looking at the tread pattern.  

By Geo on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 09:50 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I've "had" to change my setting on the Mille after I changed the 207RRs with the BT012s..a few times.
Then again I'm not one to leave it alone ever.
Ride at least a whole weekend the way it is now to see IF you want to change and if you do then you'll be able to tell what the difference will actually be then.  

By Befbever on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 10:06 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Crmc33,
you're right. It doesn't help!

Litre1,
thanks for your comments. The sipes are pretty shallow, but BenW says they're good in the wet so I'll believe him. This country makes you find out wet weather conditions soon enough anyway.

Geo,
I'm not coming from RR's, just plain D207's. But my suspension is pretty good . Maybe that's the reason for thinking it can't get any better than this.
Btw, I wonder how they handle on icy roads. Not long to wait now!  

By Geo on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 07:41 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Well in my case it was a matter of personal preference, not about making it "better"
Turn in, flicable vs stable, weight distribution stuff like that.
Right now I have the front end heavily loaded, I like it that way for aggressive riding. I don't commute on it anymore or else I'd lower the rear a tad.
Most people are not as picky as I am about those things.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation