Clocks resetting themselves

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Clocks resetting themselves
By Mikeo on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:29 am:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Can anyone help with this; twice today, when firing the bike up, it has hesitated on the starter,then started ok, but the clocks have each time reset themselves to the factory settings ie kms, 0.0 trip,0.00 clock and 6k rev limiter. I have checked the battery terminals and they're ok, and it's charging at 14.25v and holding 12.75v. Any ideas?? Hope it's nothing too serious. I haven't been out in the rain so it shouldn't be damp in the circuitry.

Mike  

By Befbever on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:53 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Could be the old corrosion in the starter switch. Many of us have had that. WD40 is the answer.

Man I should have shares in that company 

By Hammertime on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 11:57 am:  View Hammertime's Profile Search for other posts by Hammertime Edit this post

I've had the same thing happen to me on my RSV. I hadn't used it for a couple of weeks and when I went to start it, it hesitated (the starter motor making a noise that sounded like the battery terminals were loose). It started eventually (with the help of some jumper cables to my car) but all my clocks reset as well (losing my 162mph Vmax in the process! Damn!).

I've been using it more regularly and it's not happened since. Seems battery related somehow but... I can't be too sure.  

By Tbone on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 02:26 pm:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

I've had the problem a few times when I start my bike. I've given up on fixing it since it always seems to correct itself by resetting clocks. And, yes, our batteries have enough juice.

So I go with it -- it's part of having this kind of bike. In my opinion Aprilia have rigged this thing with a weak/cheap electrical system that has no reserve -- the ECU can't cope when the battery can't feed enough power for whatever reason so it resets.

Deal with it (by resetting all the time) or install a new electrical system.

tbone  

By Adrian on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 03:55 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

Setting your idle a little higher and keeping the button pushed firmly till it lights seem to help as well.  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 08:31 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Mine has done that a couple of times recently as well, I've noticed it seems to do it when I try to start it while I have the brights on. The Falco has no relay for the headlight and ingnition switch, i.e. the headlights stay on while starting the bike. On all the other bikes I've had there is a relay that kills the headlights while starting the bike. I'm no electical engineer but I wonder how difficult it would be to install a relay? But the short term solution is to make sure you don't have your brights on while trying to start the bike.  

By Fullstate on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 08:40 am:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

Here is a link with a fix for the ECU reset problem.

http://www.caplan77.com/falco/ecu.html

This should help.

BTW - I am not an electrical engineer either, but I already modified my headlight switch to keep ALL the headlights on when the brights are on. Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to put a relay in there somewhere to kill the lights.

Fullstate  

By Befbever on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 10:00 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Regarding the Caplan page: no offence to anyone, least of all to Thomas Caplan himself, but some of us ride our Falco's every day and I for one doubt if all this is needed.

First off, our batteries have enough juice if they're new. I had to change mine this winter all of a sudden although I hadn't had any problems before.

Secondly, these big V-twins need a lot of oomph from the battery. Anything is not up to scratch, your instruments reset.

Do the switch first (WD40) and DO NOT touch the throttle while starting, the starter clutch is the next thing to go when you do that.
Do the easy things first, there's plenty of time to bolt on expensive stuff.

Btw, anyone else thinks their swing arm feels mushy?  

By Mikeo on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 10:45 am:  View Mikeo's Profile Search for other posts by Mikeo Edit this post

Thanks for all your help people. I'll get the WD40 out! (unless Duck Oil is better as it is thicker and stays where it's sprayed for longer). Even better, use WD to clean, then Duck after for longer protection).  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation