RiDE - RIDER POWER Results

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: RiDE - RIDER POWER Results
By Islefalco on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:51 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Hmmmm....

So our efforts to get the Falco in this were successful. Only 42nd out of 122 bikes in the survey?

Seems like the result was depressed by the low score for parts backup (a feature for all Aprilias in the survey - get your finger out Aprilia UK!), pillion (hold on and stop your whinging, woman) and only two stars out of five for handling. Guess that has a lot to do with the Sucks shock. I have heard it said that the shock has a stiffer spring than the earlier models and this helps. Is this true?

I could send a low res copy in the email (only a small bit on the Falco), if anyone wants it.  

By Falcorob on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:33 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Wouldn't mind a look if you don't mind. Mines an 02 and handles OK now we've sorted the shocks settings. Just the back tyre wearing out in 2000 miles that's upsetting her now.
Anyone tried Dunlop D207RR tyres yet as I can get 'em for £200 fitted without having to take in loose wheels.

Ta

Rob.  

By Andyjfalco on Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 03:10 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

M&P are selling D207RR's for £115 a pair!!! Can't cost more than £30 to have them fitted...  

By Richandall on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 01:09 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

And the Mille was next at only 41. Surely both deserve better. While the Falco report went on at such length about spares problems it never told us Falconeers what a splendid bunch we are - no penalty points, never fall off, loud pipes & track days galore etc. Btw guess what came first? Daz, step forward and receive your prize - the Fazer (although it was the 1000 model). Obviously no points awarded for looks or it would've slipped ten places...

So they're at least 80 models out there we'd be worse off with. And who wants a Fazer???

I'm a bit puzzled why neither Aprilia made it further up the list. Maybe its cos we expect a lot of our bikes, or is it we're simply a bunch of whingers, which the survey reflects??

- Richard  

By Islefalco on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 01:24 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Simply because of the backup low scores - and the handling score would not have helped either. These are 2 problems we know about. In most other respects we seemed to have rated our bikes quite highly.

I guess it was the one star for backup that pushed the Mille down the list too. As I said earlier, Aprilia UK need to get their finger out on this. There is no reason for us to wait so long for spares, it's just sloppiness and a poor customer service atitude. BTW, it seems to me that if you are riding a new model, where things have not had the chance yet to go wrong, you are likely to rate the bike higher. I think some Fazer owners will be a bit more critical in a years time when the thing starts corroding. The newer Fazer is rated quite a bit higher than the older version - and it is not THAT much of an improvement.  

By Falcorob on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 10:42 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Andy

they were selling for that money for about an hour!!!  

By Richandall on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:15 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Some information I've gleaned from the RiDE UK Survey 2002 of bikes, kit and dealers.

- There was just 0.1% between the 42nd placed Falco (77.53%) and the 41st placed Mille RSV/RSV-R (77.63%).

- Despite this, the Falco won 39 stars against the Mille RSV/RSV-R's 34 stars - something to do with rounding. There's no significant difference between satisfaction of Falco and Mille RSV/RSV-R owners as measured by this survey.

- Only 8.4% separated the Mille/Falco and 1st placed Fazer 1000 (85.99%).

Falconeers rated highly: build quality, engine, brakes, gearbox, equipment, reliability, and wind protection, giving them all 4 out of a possible 5 stars.
We rated low: dealer back-up (1 star); handling, and pillion comfort (2 stars each).
Comfort and economy were awarded three stars each.

One in 5 Falcos is a parallel import; over 40% of us rode abroad last year; we are the group most likely to have points on our licences, alongside ZX-12R owners; and we have the longest wait for spares of any owners (quelle suprise!).

Average insurance costs £516 and we paid £4749 for our bikes (including s/hand deals).

Highly rated Aprilia dealers in the regions were:
N. West: Millenium Motorcycles, St Helens: 1st (90.04%); and Earnshaw's, Huddersfield: 3rd (73.5%)
Midlands: Clay Cross, Chesterfield: 8th (75.88%)

S. East: On Yer Bike, Aylesbury: 14th (75.12%)

Other Aprilia dealers scored poorly or were not mentioned in the survey. The perils of recommending a dealer to other riders has been well aired on this site.

The survey received feedback from just over 10,000 riders; models getting fewer than 25 responses were dropped or model years were combined. Bikes with under 1000 miles on them were excluded.

Six people-years of effort were put into into compiling and presenting the results by RiDE magazine so if you haven't already, buy a copy of the Rider Power Survey to show your appreciation of their service to the biking community. And if you did (or didn't) enter this year's survey, don't forget, it's we (OK, in the UK) who gain most from participating in this act of consumer power next time around.

Btw The only other Aprilia model covered in the survey is the RS125 which came 99th (69.13%) and had the worst rating for back-up of any model.

Aprilia must respond to this survey because coming last on dealer back-up overall, as well as scoring the individual worst model back-up, is not good for its business.

- Richard  

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:23 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Rich, mate, you spend too much time on your computer/calculator. Only kidding...
Falcorob, D'OH !!! I suppose I've missed out...AGAIN!
Ride sucks anyway  

By Richandall on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 07:01 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Does anyone know the Aprilia UK email address?

I want to literally grind their complacent faces into this report!!
But I'll settle for a bit of metaphorical grinding.

- Richard

I jest not 

By Prilliant on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:46 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

How many times has it been said on this site that if Aprilia could get their back up to match the quality of the bikes they would be world beaters. Let's hope someone at Aprilia UK sees this survey and does something about the problems.

I'm not holding my breath. 

By Johnstar on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:33 am:  View Johnstar's Profile Search for other posts by Johnstar Edit this post

Guys,

The Head of UK After Sales is called Massimo Granatta. Don't know if he has an email address; it's certainly not on any of his replies to my irrate letters to him.

My Falco has the beginings of corrosion at the alloy section at the base of the forks (the bit the calipers bolt to- don't know the correct name). Aprilia say that corrosion is not a manufacturing fault.

My experience tells me that other Manufacturers (Suzuki and Kawasaki for a start)would sort this problem out under warranty.

I'm not terribly upset that I can't claim under warranty, in fact I'm going to pay myself to get those sections repainted before they get too bad, (can anyone reccomend a good paint shop?) it's just the arrogance of these people that infuriates me.They really do not understand the meaning of After Sales Service, either that or they don't care.

Rant over,

John. 

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:19 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

And a bloody good rant it was too.  

By Richandall on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:37 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

John - can you give me the Aprilia UK postal address then?

Btw Massimo Granatta - Coarse Grained?

- Ricardo  

By Prilliant on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 12:19 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

What about maybe starting a petition? Surely there are enough owners using this site to give Aprilia some food for thought.

Gotta be worth a try.  

By Geo on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:09 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Do it on ALL the prilia sites but just for UK bikes.
You'll need everyone's frame number for it to mean something  

By Johnstar on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 12:54 am:  View Johnstar's Profile Search for other posts by Johnstar Edit this post

Ricardo,

I can give you the UK postal address on Monday (I don't have it with me here at work) but it's basically that weird Dunragit address - you should find it on the inside cover of your warranty book.

Did you say horse brained?

Seriously though, I know that this has been talked about before, but I'm up for starting a petition. Before I do, what exactly do we what to petition for? Are we talking about rejected warranty claims, parts availability, quality of dealers, other stuff?

My thoughts are that we should create a simple database of 'non-warranty' problems (with, as Prilliant says, frame numbers) to present to Aprilia UK. We need to get a lot of Aprilia users together to be able to do this though. Oh, I'd also like to know which common problems are covered by years two and three of the warranty, 'cos it seems to me it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

How about starting an Aprilia (UK) Owners Club? That way we could start our own pressure group!

That enough of my ideas, what do you all think? We should of course, include RSV and Capo Nord owners in our plans.

Over to you.

John. 

By Richandall on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 03:15 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

John, an independent UK Aprilia owners club is a splendid idea but needs financing. Money or help in kind would usually be forthcoming from a well disposed manufacturer/importer except it's Aprilia itself that's the problem.

National publicity of its abysmal dealer & customer support might force Aprilia to address the failing if only to appease the banks to whom they are increasingly in debt. This publicity could come from a RiDE magazine follow up but more likely it would want to distance itself from issues arising from the survey IMO. I'd like to be proved wrong but why would a journo embarrass a company for poor after sales service when it allows them to play all day for free, get a cheque at the end of the month and Aprilia product is damn' good anyway!

Btw hasn't Aprilia UK moved to Manchester from Stranrear?

- Richard  

By Crmc33 on Friday, September 20, 2002 - 04:42 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

wheres Stranrear? Just down from Stranfront?

Would it help if we burnt the Aprilia factory down? 

By Scotty on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 03:15 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Daz's old falco site had a pretty good faults database. Though last time I checked it was empty after it had moved to its new domain name.
I made Daz aware of this.. not sure if he can do anything about it though.

I was told by my dealer a number of months ago that Aprilia's UK base in Scotland was closing.
www.aprilia.co.uk no longer works (not that it ever did much before anyway apart from contact info page).

My Clutch slave cylinder warranty claim (2nd year claim) was submitted directly to Aprilia in Italy, I am still waiting to hear if the claim has been approved or not. I had to pay for it to be replaced as it was critial that I could use the bike as its my only form of personal transport. I am awaiting a refund still

This is the second slave cylinder that has failed, I had the first failure (in the first year of warranty) replaced under the warranty after having to wait some two months for it to be approved.

I am convinced that Aprilia know about all the issues with their bikes but will refuse to publically admit to them. I do not believe that they are the remotest bit interested in looking after their existing customers. My only solution for this poor aftercare service is not to furnish them with any further money in the future.

This means that I am forced really to get my bike in full working order (whenever the parts I need are available) and to sell it for whatever I can and make sure that I don't give them any more money by buying a new Aprilia again.

Maybe some of the newer owners may not have had many issues or a need for warranty claims or have had their bike serviced for a sh*t load of money cos of issues not covered under the warranty.
I know I am not the only person p*ssed off by all of this. (For the long term subscribers to this site) Think how many people no longer own their Aprilias or are attempting to sell them!!!!!

There are days when I still enjoy riding my falco.. but there are increasingly more days when I dread the prospect of more hassle and things going wrong. Aprilia could make a good bike superb with just a little more interest in the people who actually buy their products.... 

By Befbever on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 10:43 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I must say I agree with you there, Scotty. Btw, glad to see you're still a Falconeer!

As I said before, I think you Islanders are very brave for riding Aprilia's, considering the parts and warranty issues.

I love the bike, really love it. But when we look at what Aprilia is putting on the market next, I fear us normal folk are left in the cold. So far anyway.
It looks to me, and that's just my opinion, as if Aprilia are trying to steal customers away from the more exclusive brands like Ducati or MV when they market the new RSV-R. And the Tuono, of course.

The RSV Mille is trying to attract the attention of Ducatisti and R1, Fireblade etc. owners. But with the same engine as before, I doubt if this will have a lot of succes. As long as it doesn't stand a chance on the world's racetracks - and it doesn't compared to the Japanese inline fours - it'll just be a bike for enthousiasts. The Mille's a great bike, it must be. You only need to look at the specifics of the Ducati 999 to understand this. Ducati have taken a leaf out of Aprilia's book when they made this thing, rest assured!

The Falco's story is a sad one. Just as good as, but more versatile than the Mille, with better looks as far as Falconeers are concerned, but not selling as was hoped. Just one more underestimated bike to join the many. Not radical and flashy enough for the fair-weather riders and not comfy enough for the tourers.
Their loss, of course.

What the Falco is good at, we don't need to explain. It's why we bought it and stuck with it.
Cosmetic changes have attempted to up the sales, but painting such a beautiful frame (why on earth didn't they take this one for the Tuono?) is IMHO a crime. I wonder what an Italian thinks about it?

I've heard that Triumph's strenght is not that the bikes are that good, but that they are unsurpassed when it comes to aftersales and warranty claims. Almost three years ago, it was a toss between the Falco and the Sprint RS for me. I'm glad I got the Priller, but I wonder what the outcome will be next time... 

By Prilliant on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:59 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

I have to say I have found the reliability of my Falco to be second to none, but the quality of dealerships and aftersales is truly abysmal.

Aprilia are going through very tough times at the moment with the collapse of scooter sales in Italy due to new helmet laws. Surely they must realise that customer loyalty is now more important than anything. Ever noticed how many Honda and BMW riders keep going back for more of the same. That is because these manufacturers have realised that service doesn't end the moment the customer walks out the door.

I really want to stick with Aprilia bikes for a long time because I like what they do, and they make me feel good, but if standards don't improve I will switch brands and will definitely let Aprilia know why. 

By Richandall on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 02:58 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Aprilia is new to the road bike scene and bikers are a very different number to the scooter mob. Aprilia's taken on the international racing fraternity without the big buck sponsorship needed. They've spent their budget on world class machinery without having world class distribution to back it up. Their financial difficulties are really not of their making. Now they have no more spend left. It's sad really and they surely deserve some credit for trying.

If only they hadn't taken a vow of silence rather than openly addressing the customers' complaints. Their bikes are great value and will continue to sell themselves IMO. I believe Aprilia will get it right in the end - like, soon, I hope!

- Richard 

By Prilliant on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 10:07 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

I really, really hope you're right.  

By Bob on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 08:11 pm:  View Bob's Profile Search for other posts by Bob Edit this post

I used to have a Triumph, it wasthe first T509 in Belgium, even before it was legal to drive one in Belgium. I fell in love with it when I saw the first picture of it. After I saw that picture I bought one and I really liked driving with here. But Fore the 3 years I had it was almost 2 years I couldn't drive with it, because of electrical probems whith they never solved.
So I lost my confidence in that bike, and I sold it.
My Falco never let my down! 

By Befbever on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 01:43 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Bob, I hope Hammy reads this and conveys his thoughts on this Trumpet matter.

Though 4 cylinders are common and even regarded as normal, 2 cylinders have emotion written all over them (if it's a Duck, chances are most emotions are ), but three cylinders is just weird!

By Webhamster on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 05:07 am:  View Webhamster's Profile Search for other posts by Webhamster Edit this post

Two cylinders is nice.

But three is half as good again!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation