Looking for answers.............. all I found was confusion

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Looking for answers.............. all I found was confusion
By Thumpermanuk on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:32 am:  View Thumpermanuk's Profile Search for other posts by Thumpermanuk Edit this post

Just bought one of the best bikes in the world, Y02K Falco.
After reading reams and reams on which way to go with regard to end cans/eprom/pc3, I am now so mixed up I need to just go for a ride. Only to have one thought in my mind, "I know it is a UK spec bike, but I can't hear much induction noise, could it be a restriction in the air box/logic wire needs to be cut? if so which one?
Also do UK bikes come with that metal prop for the fuel tank?
Please help!!!!!! 

By Scotteq on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:05 pm:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

Check out http://www.geocities.com/sl_mille/ for Falco info. As for derestriction - You dealer should do that for you at first service, if he hasn't done so already.

If it's induction noise you want - Check out http://www.renegade-products.com/ GREAT cans (including EPROM), and they have a kit that essentially does away with your airbox - Gains you 2~6HP from 4K~8.5K and the induction roar is positively ADDICTIVE!

Prop rod!?!??! What Prop Rod??? Who the hell is Rod, anyways!?!?! If it's that Rod Stewart guy, damn right he needs a prop to hold him up!!!

Scott [smile] 

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 03:27 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Look under the tail, it's held in a couple of brackets on the left side. Air kit, OH YEA! As far as pipes are concerned I have a pair of Skorpion s/steels £139 each. I don't think there's much in it anyhoo, except price. Enjoy the best bike ever.
Andy.  

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:46 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Quote:

Look under the tail, it's held in a couple of brackets on the left side.

Not on my bike. I understand it's kind of a random thing. Certainly, the California only bikes don't have room for it! There WAS (emphasis on "WAS") so much emissions crap in the trunk... 

By Benw on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:21 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

On UK bikes, as far as I'm aware, Y2K bikes had them but in 01 they decided to stop fitting them and just gave them to the dealers - cheaper.

B  

By Exdukenut on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 12:12 am:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

A bit of 2 x 2 works for me, and that's just for the dealer...oh, sorry we were talking about the prop for the tank.

Well mine is a 2000.5 and it didn't come with said prop. However the black one's are the fastest, because they are of lighter weight.....those props weigh a ton!

By Charlie on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 01:26 am:  View Charlie's Profile Search for other posts by Charlie Edit this post

here's the standard evolution of Falco ownership

1. new, restricted - this is nice, bit lumpy at the bottom and dirty great flat spot at 5000rpm, no induction noise

2. de-restrict at 600 mile service. Blimey, what's that noise? Feels a lot friskier, still got that flat spot though

3. Cans and chip + 5/6 hp in midrange, 4/5 at top, flat spot gone, can't hear induction any more

4. Airkit, - 5 ish bhp in midrange (so + 10 bhp in midrange overall), open it up and its friggin loud (induction and exhaust) and passing rabbits, cats, and small children get sucked into your engine

5. new shock / suspension set-up - turns you into Buffy the RSV slayer  

By Thumpermanuk on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:03 am:  View Thumpermanuk's Profile Search for other posts by Thumpermanuk Edit this post

Thanks for all your pointers, I'll be giving Renegade a ring.
I have seen a couple of Falco's about with an after market number plate bracket which cleans up the rear end loads. Does anyone know where to get them from??  

By Charlie on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:38 am:  View Charlie's Profile Search for other posts by Charlie Edit this post

rsvr.net for the bracket

charlie  

By Fullstate on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:24 am:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

I've heard over and over again that the '02s cannot be de-restricted by simply cutting the wire. You can still de-restrict the airbox, but the chip won't change maps by cutting the wire. You have to swap out the chip. If you are going to get cans and a chip anyway, then it's a non-issue.

Can anyone confirm? I don't have an '02, but I would sure hate to see someone screw their bike up due to mis-information.

Fullstate  

By Webhamster on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:47 am:  View Webhamster's Profile Search for other posts by Webhamster Edit this post

Quote:

Buffy the RSV slayer

I think I like that!

By Crmc33 on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:56 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

According to the Harold the Almighty Chip God,
The 02 Falco can be derestricted by the wire cut but the 02 RSV cant.  

By Befbever on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 07:34 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

It's Beffy.
Buffy's much better looking.

I like it as well, but I'm afraid RSV owners might take offence 

By Chuzo on Friday, September 13, 2002 - 08:26 pm:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

This may add to your confusion.

Regarding my message of August 1, 2002, the disparity of opinions prompted me to ask Aprilia directly. This is what I got. Hope it helps (or cause more confusion?). At least it is "official" no?

I should add that I specified Falco 2002 in my original message to Aprilia.

Thanks for all your responses.

Subject: Prot.10931/02/rb
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:10:05 +0200
To:

Dear Sir,

We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail and thank you for it.

With regard to your request, we inform you that we forwarded it to our local Branch which will answer you directly.

Best regards

Aprilia Customer Service

Subject: ECU Maps
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:55:31 -0400
To: allebron@telocity.com

The Falco has two maps on it's EPROM. 

By Scotteq on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 06:19 am:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

Yes, the Falco has two maps: During derestriction you would remove the plug in the airbox, and the intake restrictors on later models. This makes enough of a difference in fuelling requirements that the motor requires a richer map, which you access by clipping a wire on the ECU. This map is rich enough to handle aftermarket slip-ons as well, though several 3rd party chips have proven to be better than the OEM.

The link I posted above has the details.

Scott :)  

By Thumpermanuk on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 03:46 am:  View Thumpermanuk's Profile Search for other posts by Thumpermanuk Edit this post

Ok, thanks for all the info, howevever I can not really justify spending £650 on rsc or renegade cans. Has anyone fitted those Remus "grand prix" cans. thier blerb reckons you don't have to change the chip!  

By Crmc33 on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 05:30 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

you dont have to change the chip with a lot of race cans. The OE chip will do the job.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation