Clutch drag?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Clutch drag?
By Tbone on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:56 am:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

Can someone explain clutch drag to me, please? And what's the opposite of drag? Is it slip?

Problem: after changing oil brand from 15W50 Yacco Mineral to 20W50 Liqui Moly Mineral my clutch grabs much better (practically no slip like before) but the bike jumps while I'm releasing clutch lever during high speed shifting and when coming out of a turn this is pretty scary to a little ol' wannabe racer like me ;-)

Can't figure it out.

tbone  

By Oldgit on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:18 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

I think you have just about worked it out for yourself Tbone, using heavier oil will cause clutch drag, many falco owner's use lighter 10-40 grade oil for this reason, try not using the clutch for fast up changes, the falco has a sweet box, if you time your changes properly.

Apparently there is a modified clutch after some early model problems, look through the earlier messages on clutch matters. 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:37 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Take a look at 'Pain in the clutch' (and other similar threads) in the old threads grave yard.

you are correct about the drag and slip being the two opposite ends of the scale.

It sounds like your oil is too thick. FYI, Im now running 10/40 Motul semi-synth and the gearbox and clutch have never been better. Even a thorough beating at Cadwell Park Circuit didnt make the clutch slip.

Give it a try, youll find that using 10/40 oil will tranform the gearbox (whether it be full or semi synth) and you will find neutral at a standstill easier also.

HTH 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:54 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Oh, and to answer your question,
clutch drag is the clutch not totally disengaging the drive from the crankshaft to the gearbox shaft. Usually because the pressure btwn the clutch friction plates and steel plates is not being sufficently released.
This might be caused by warped clutch plates, thick oil causing the plates to adhere to each other, bent pushrods, coil bound springs or knack'ed hydraulic operation system.

HTH2 

By Tbone on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 07:47 am:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

Ok, will try 10W/40 semi or mineral. Thanks for that.

crmc33, what do you mean by "knack'ed hydraulics"? Clutch lever has little play between release and engage, which has been a result of changing fluid (using now DOT5.1).

Thanks for info.

tbone  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation