RSV-R Ohlins Front End just sourced.....yee hah......

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: RSV-R Ohlins Front End just sourced.....yee hah......
By Exdukenut on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 05:17 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Just scored the forks and triple trees from an RSV-R for a great price (and no, they weren't stolen goods). But a truely great price,. Oh sorry I just said that.

I'm going to look at the new Tomaselli adjustable bars and see if they make a set for 51mm forks.

I'll post a piccie up when I get the forks and swingarm on. Also my Mille Swingarm is currently off getting cleaned up (about a fortnight). Bearings etc will be here next week, and I'm also going to try a friends GSXR600 sidestand out on the Falco.

God I love spending money on the bike. A really truely Falco R, minus the OZ wheels. IMHO I just can't justify the wheels. If you get the suspension right, it will be far better than a lighter wheel. And I already have the Ohlins fully adjustable rear.

I'll keep you posted. TTYS.

Boy am I grinning!

By Hansie on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 12:13 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Start saving fot those wheels!
You want them, we all know
Also for the Rene TNT system....

Hansie 

By Jamsfalco on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:17 am:  View Jamsfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jamsfalco Edit this post

best of luck with the forks and i look forward to seeing the pics.............

Which gixxer stand will you be fitting?I am just uprating my shock and this seems to be a must do thing.

Thanks  

By Befbever on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 10:35 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ex, congrats on your purchase!

Can you elaborate a bit on the cleaning up of the Mille swinger? I was told it shouldn't be touched by non-professionals because of the coating of the aluminium/magnesium alloy. So you obviously found someone who does know what to do.

Getting a Mille swing arm secondhand is no problem whatsoever for moi, but they all have the same 'crash caused exhaust to dent it' problem. That's why I asked.

By Exdukenut on Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:01 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

As far as "cleaning" the swingarm up, the guy does a lot of work on all sorts of bike bits, and seems quite knowledgeable, about metals. The swingarm as far as condition is concerned, was extremely good. Just a slight ding where the inevitable exhaust hit occurs, but it would seem, that it (the bike) actually came down on the left hand side, as the paddock stand lug was sheared off. But the lug hole is straight, and I just used an easy-out, to get the rest of the threaded nut out.

The guy reckons he can even pull (via a tig rod, or push (via a small hole through the inside of the swingarm plates), then put a small rubber bung, to cover the hole). This part the guy will investigate and advise me before he goes ahead with that. As to the lacquer on the alloy/mag plates of the swingarm, he doesn't see any problem.

Other cleaning up he will do is to where the chain runs through the banana bit to the countershaft sprocket, and the previous owner hadn't done much chain maintenance (ie sloppy chain, which had worn a small double groove in the metal. This will be ground down and cleaned up.

Then he's going to polish the welds up, (which are some of the best welds he's seen - the Italians can at least do something else, other than build great bikes like the Falco), and clean the cast material at the front of the swingarm.

When he saw the swingarm, he drooled, and couldn't get his hands on it quick enough, to do up for me. P.S. He also did the rims of my Brembo wheels, and his work is exquisite.

JamsFalco, the sidestand that I've heard will fit the Falco was off of any recent GSX-R600. Let me have a go at it, and I'll post, before you go and commit to something that might not work. After all I'm borrowing a stand first, to see if it works or not.

TTYS.

By Falcorob on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:47 am:  View Falcorob's Profile Search for other posts by Falcorob Edit this post

Let me know if the Gixxer sidestand does fit and if you can have a flat tyre without the bike falling over as mine nearly did Friday. Wife caught it?????!!!???

Ta

Rob  

By Exdukenut on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 06:19 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

The forks have just arrived and talk about drool material.

I've just got to source some new stearing stem bearings. But I have a friend in the business. PS does anyone know what type, brand, size these bearings are by any chance, or know where I can go and look them up.

I'll keep you posted.

The swingarm should be ready late next week. The guy drilled a hole on the inside of the swingarm and then used a small rounded nail punch to pop the dent back out. According to him, the result is, that you can't tell it was even there. And the bearings etc for this should be here next week as well.

TTYS 

By Befbever on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 01:57 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ex, sorry, forgot to say thanks for the swingarm info.
I've used SKF bearings when putting in other forks in bikes. There's a number on the bearings which you need to get the right one.

For a contact near you, look at http://www.skf.com/

Hope this helps. 

By Dave on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 05:41 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

eagarly awaiting progress report/ photos  

By Exdukenut on Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:07 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Sorry Dave to disappoint, but I'm waiting on some parts from Aprilia. Unfortunately my dealer just sold out to another crowd, and as a result has to establish credit accounts with the Australian Aprilia distributor, so I think that that is what is delaying the parts as they have to pay COD currently.

Just for everyone's info though, the steering stem bearings are $92 Australia each, and at the moment we can't find a third party bearing as I only have part of the bearing. To this end we have to wait for the complete bearings, so I can have the stem re hardchromed as it's a little "sloppy", where the top shell sits, the previous owner had tried to use a centre punch to raise some of the stems material to make it tighter. I have however had the forks serviced/checked ($92 Australian) and are ready to go in, 'cept for the stem and bearings. I have a set of Tomasselli adjustable bars which cam,e with a 50mm diameter, so I'll get my friend mill out 1mm for the forks.

The swingarm is now about 90% complete, and apparently is looking a treat. All the welds have been "cleaned up" (read smoothed out), and the small ding has been completely removed. (Also waiting on some chain guides and guards.

I'm off to the Australian GP tommorrow, so everything will have to wait till after I come back. Pit passes to Katoh (GP Class), Gressini (250's) and someone else in the 125's (can't remember the name). Life's tough.......

I'll post photo's, procedures etc as they come to hand. I'm like a big kid the day before xmas. Extremely eager, that's for sure.

TTY all soon.

I'll see if I can get a photo of Katoh and myself and the V5. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation