Guess what I've just bought

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Guess what I've just bought
By Bonerp on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:24 pm:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

I have finally moved from the dark side (ex - rsv owner)!

Picked up a '51 with 3700 miles for £3850. Well pleased. Need a few ideas for mods though....

Do they run rich like the RSV? For example if I get an EVO filter and a set of pipes, will I need a chip?

I'd love the Renes / non air box etc but baby on the way etc, just can't justify spending that cash at the moment. Sorry Jorge, maybe one day!

Any others points/ things to add/change to make the bike better?

Thanks  

By Nickp on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 12:05 am:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

Good choice fella ! Is the extra comfort a God send ?
I reckon your best cheap mods have got to be the 15t sprocket & a 2nd hand Mille shock ( either Ohlins or sachs ). Then keep a look out for some pipes to crank the volume up !!

Make sure you've got some decent rubber on n'all. If it's still got the Z3s on then dump 'em ASAP. Sportecs work a treat and really liven things up, especially with the rear ride height cranked up (mille shock).
Most of all get out 'n ride the bugger  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 12:37 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Congrat Bonerp , good one.

If I were you then I would fit the 1)Mille shock, and 2)sprocket or airkit, and thats about all you need to do really.
The MEZ3's respond well to dropping the yokes down to line5 on the forks (with OE rear shock) if indeed these are what's fitted.

IMHO its a bit of a trade off between the airkit and the sprocket. If you get an aikit you wouldnt need the sprocket (or cans) for good performance ...and noise!

Ive gone back from 15/41 to 16/42 now Ive got the airkit and Im really happy with the gearing for most road situations. Either will fit the OE chain.

Whatever you do, just give it some... large! 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 01:19 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Oh I forgot,

yes the std chip does run rich as there are race can manufacturers who dont specify a different chip. Shark are one example (which I have). The midrange does seem to improve with a decent chip tho.
Same as the Mille really as its basically the same engine.  

By Daz on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 02:16 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Congrats Paul! My carbon can co. cans are still going for £100... email me if you are interested.

Daz  

By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 07:39 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Congrats!

Save your pennies...the airkit ROCKS!

(bike won't run rich anymore, either!) 

By Bonerp on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:31 am:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

Daz,
Are they carbon (stupid question from carbon Can company!)

Are they mint (no dings, scratches etc?)

Where you at?  

By Daz on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 12:38 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

No and no. That's why they're 100 quid innit?

I'm in the midlands - Redditch. Off J3 of the M42.

You can see em here

http://www.twowheelracing.co.uk/falco/prod/ccc.asp

They look quite good in real life - they rise up higher than RSC's / Rene's as seen here:

http://www.twowheelracing.co.uk/falco/trip081201.asp

Email me if you are interested and I'll go and take some snaps of how they look now.

Cheers,

Daz 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation