Stock settings for Ohlins

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Stock settings for Ohlins
By Twowheels78 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 10:22 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Does anybody know what the stock settings for the Ohlins Mille R (AP840?) shock are? Specifically the stock length, compression and rebound settings. I'm not overly concerned with the preload, I'll set the sag once I get it installed. I just bought one on E-Bay, ScottEQ taught me a few things last time around It's got about 2000 miles on it and I paid $515 Whole lot cheaper and faster then buying it direct from Ohlins. Wo Ho, I can't wait 

By Exdukenut on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 05:37 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Check this old Graveyard thread.

Ohlins Setup

Hope this helps.

By Twowheels78 on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 07:29 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

One more question...How do you set the sag on the rear. I looked at Ken's site and the front looks fairly straight forward but I'm not so sure about the rear. Do you have to calculate the linkage ratio (2.5 or 3.0?)into the equation? You're supposed to use a plum line from a point on the rear fairing through the rear axle and measure with the tire off the ground and then with the rider on the bike right? Subtract the two numbers and that should be about one third the travel of the rear suspension, right? What is the travel of the rear suspension? Help?!? 

By Scotteq on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 12:08 pm:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

Congrats on your new shock!

[quote]I just bought one on E-Bay, ScottEQ taught me a few things last time around[/quote]

You mean do nothing at all to jack the price up until the last 5 minutes of teh auction and then swoop in with some max number and let eBay do the bidding for you!?!?!

Sag-wise, you want about 30mm in the rear (40mm up front) for rider sag. That's measured from fully extended. Measure from the top of the rear axle to some convenient point directly above. I like to stick a piece of masking tape with an X on it on the bodywork, so I know I'm measuring the same point. Quick way's to haul the bike up on the front wheel and sidestand and have a buddy measure total travel. Subtract 30mm from that, and you know what number you are looking for when you sit on the bike.

Once that's done, check static sag (bike only) - you should have 5~10mm. If you have none, it means that the spring is too weak. (***you had to wind it too tight to get proper rider sag) Much more than 10mm, and you might think about getting a weaker spring.

The swap job itself is simple: Put a 1/2" round steel rod through the swingarm pivot and rest that on a couple jackstands. Leave your race stand under the wheel so you can lever it up and down to align your bolts.

Oh yeah - there should be two blank rings machined into the threads of your shock. The bottom one is the recomended limit - So if you have to dial in more spring than that:

LOSE SOME WEIGHT!!!

Scott  

By Twowheels78 on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:31 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Exactly! But I waited until there was about a minute and a half left before putting in my bid. Gotta love e-bay, I may have to start using it more often!

Thanks for the info about setting the sag, now it makes sense I don't think I'll have to worry about the spring, I weigh all of 170 lbs soaking wet 

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 06:51 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

WOW I installed it last night and all I can say is WOW I didn't really have much of a chance to set it up, one of my friends is going to help me set the sag this weekend. I baselined the compression and rebound and set the length, but didn't mess with the preload yet. The guy I bought it from said it was setup for a 200 pound rider and truthfully the preload seems to be pretty good.

Current settings....
200lb spring w/ 12mm showing at the top of the rings
Compression 6 of 27
Rebound 22 of 40
Length 323mm vs Sachs 318mm

Some of the things I noticed....
It leans more on the sidestand. Which isn't a real problem, the US spec Falco has a different sidestand and doesn't have the same problems as the European spec. I've never had a problem parking it and worrying about it falling over. Unless of course somebody backs into it, which hasn't happened yet, knock on wood.
More forward weight bias and taller saddle. I raised the rear, the sachs was 318mm I set the Ohlins to 323mm. I've never had a problem with the saddle height on any bike and I don't with the new shock either. I still have a bend in my knees when sitting on the bike!
Far more comfortable to ride. It doesn't kick me out of the saddle on our lovely roads, I actually went looking for bumpy roads last night.
Steers much better and holds a line. I still have a hard time trusting the front end, but I still have the MEZ3 on the front, that's getting changed on friday. I'm thinking BT-012SS front and rear, currently have a BT-010 on the rear and love it, but it's just about had it.
The front really seems to dive under braking. I can actually feel the shock extend when I get on the brakes and then compress again when I let off. More rebound in the rear? I already cranked up the rebound to 22 of 40, stock is 14. It seemed to help but I still think it could use a little more? More compression in front? I'm not sure I want to add much more compression in front, it already seems harsh at times.

Overall very happy and it's only going to get better when it's setup properly

P.S. Sorry for writing a novel! 

By Scotteq on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

Brian - eMail me at att.net, I created an Excel spreadsheet of suspension symptoms cross-referenced to their cures. Should be VERY useful in getting your bike sorted out.

If the front's diving under braking, that's a front compression issue, not a shock issue. Basically, the added height in the rear (it's a 2.5:1 leverage ratio, so you actually got 15mm) loads up the front end more. Add a little compression until the dive is reduced to a managable level.

Scott :)  

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 07:21 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Scott,

Thanks, check your mail.

Shows how much I know Suspension tuning is an art, and believe me I'm no artist all I can draw are stick figures 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation