24k miles/36k km: an update

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: 24k miles/36k km: an update
By Befbever on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 12:41 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

The old Falco got its 24k mile service yesterday so I asked the dealer to take a look at that bearing that was worrying me a bit. I suspected it was the cause of the vibration that had become more pronounced over the last weeks, mainly in 6th gear and from 7500 rpm onwards.
The bearing holds the shaft that holds the clutch assembly. I'm sure there's a name for it but I forget.
Anyway, it does have a pretty significant amount of slack so the dealer is going to run it by Aprilia to find out what to do. Will keep you posted.

Other than that, no problems.  

By Tbone on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 01:25 pm:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

Befbeaver,
please elaborate on vibration. My Falco just broke 30,000km recently (it's due now for valve inspection) and my clutch has been acting-up. (Knock on wood!)
tbone  

By Befbever on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 02:14 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

As I said before, the vibration feels like an engine vibration. Not like a front wheel balance thing, as with Crmc33. I could be wrong of course.
I don't really feel it during legal speeds or accelerating through the gears, and I don't feel it during dyno runs either. But they're in 5th gear and without wind resistance.
It starts around 7,5k rpm and seems to get less above 8,5 k rpm, but just a little.

Since it's mainly in 6th at higher speeds, the dealer also thinks the gearshaft bearing can be the culprit.

Bridgestone BT-012 SS as recommended by our esteemed tester BenW are going on soon and I'll know it's not a balance thing for sure after that.

My apologies to other esteemed testers (Trev the Corsa Boy, Crmc33 the Sportec Supporter, etc..).  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation