First impressions

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: First impressions
By Dean0612 on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 03:17 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Well, picked up the Falco yesterday and here's my initial impression.

OH MY GOD!

I honestly thought that having this much fun on the road was illegal. And even though I'm still running in, I'm going to lose my licence. I just know it.

Ok, you've got to bear in mind that my previous bike was a retro muscle bike with handling better than the original 70's machines but still a bit lairy. Now I'm on something that allows me to change line or brake mid-corner without worrying, tracks spot on and even hit a pot hole at 75mph when riding with one hand (adjusting the visor) and hardly notice. And I haven't started fiddling with the suspension yet.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, I managed to do 408 of the required 600 miles yesterday. My wrists ache a bit and my back's a little stiff but it's nothing compared to the neckache incumbent with an unfaired retro.

All in all, an amazing machine. I'll be off out again tonight to try and clock up those remaining miles because the first service is booked for tomorrow. I honestly can't wait.

Cheers all,
Dean

ps. I'm used to nodding to other bikers when stopped at the lights but today I had three people ask me about the bike - a despatcher wanting to know about insurance costs, a guy on a Ninja who wanted to know how it handled and a bloke on a scooter who was surprised it was an Aprilia. All three impressed and all three left for dead when the lights changed (yes, even the despatcher!). Can't wait until it's run in properly... 

By Bunnybooter on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:59 am:  View Bunnybooter's Profile Search for other posts by Bunnybooter Edit this post

I also picked up a new Falco on Sunday and have not been able to remove the smile from my face. The bike is totally awsome, and just can't wait to get out on it each day.

I think its going to take a little while for my wrists and upper arms to get used to it coming from a Fazer 600, but it sure beats going to the gym. 

By Fullstate on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:19 am:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

Hey there. I am awaiting my Falco to be ready within a week or two. It's getting new rotors on it before I pick it up. Sounds like you both are already having a lot of fun out there.

BTW - there is another thread on here somewhere regarding the wrist/arm fatigue and some tips to help you out.

Happy riding!
Fullstate  

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:47 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Welcome, welcome, welcome! Yep, your addicted like the rest of us! Only one cure...AIRKIT! 

By Islefalco on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 07:19 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Welcome to to the Falconeers bunnybooter - another ex Fazer owner. Don't forget to go on the FOC-U site and tell them how much better the Falco is.

Now you need to make sure it is derestricted, put some decent cans on with a decent chip (I have RSC SL Carbon cans and chip but other's here will no doubt tell you how great Renegade kit is) and let the real fun begin. I have nearly 10k on mine with no problems worth speaking of and with a little care, it still looks a minter. 

By Philg on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 08:21 am:  View Philg's Profile Search for other posts by Philg Edit this post

Racerxlilbro
I keep seeing those airkits mentioned
Where can you get them from and how much?
Easy to fit?

Phil  

By Hydropnik on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:40 am:  View Hydropnik's Profile Search for other posts by Hydropnik Edit this post

http://www.renegade-products.com/
Look under Performance Items. You won't be disappointed. Oh-and get some ear plugs. 

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:54 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Yeah, what he said. 

By Prilliant on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 09:59 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Quote. "Oh, and get some earplugs."

He's not wrong. I followed Ronnie for a couple of miles the other night, and couldn't believe the noise..

Rene airkit is definitely on the shopping list!! 

By Dean0612 on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 02:05 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Well, I did it. Got home last night with 605 miles on the clock after collecting the Falco at 11am on Monday. Bearing in mind that I avoided motorways for the first 540 miles, religously stuck to the 6000rpm limit (or thereabouts ) and kept to A and B roads, I was wondering if this is a record for running in?

The bike's in for the first service now and if it's restricted, they're going to sort that out too. Should make the journey home entertaining if nothing else

I do however have my first complaint. Where the *&%$ did Aprilia source the horn??? It sounds like something stolen from one of those kiddie's roundabouts! When I sounded it I fully expected to see a minature fire engine come past with a four-year-old ringing the bell. Oh well, guess I'll just have to get those new exhausts - it's a safety feature to let other drivers know where I am, honest...

Cheers,
Dean 

By Islefalco on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:30 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Dean,

Yep, I have to concede that the horn is shite. It does sound a bit like a toy. This resolves itself in the wet, when it doesn't work at all.
I have thought about fixing this with a bit of WD40, but the improvement from nothing to pathetic has never seemed worth the effort. The RSC cans usually alert most people within a quarter mile radius of my presence anyway.

Buy some cans.  

By Daz on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:52 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Congrats Dean! Sounds like a record to me!! Shakin' Steven's Green Door if I'm not mistaken...

What model do you have? If the gray / black 2002 how is the side stand? 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:31 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I get the horn every time I ride the Falco

By Dean0612 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 01:46 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Daz,

I have a blue 2001 model registered this month, which explains the big discount On Yer Bike were giving (to you, sir, £5,699 otr). I've not noticed any problem with the sidestand except that I'm paranoid when parking - if it leans too far I'm convinced the stand is going to collapse and if it's too upright I'm equally sure it's going to fall the other way. I actually had a small panic attack at the petrol station the other day when someone walked past as I was undoing my lid and I was convinced the bike was falling over. Shoot forward, grab bike, realise I looked like a tit. Oh well, I'll get better with time (that's what the doctor says ).

Regarding the running in, a special mention should go to the chap working at the BP garage on the A4 just outside Maidenhead who saw how tired I was on Tuesday night when I stopped there and insisted on my sitting in the employee rest area for a couple of smokes and made me a coffee. Top fella, especially as I'd filled up earlier and had only stopped for a smoke and a quick water break.

Crmc33: I don't have that problem right now - those front brakes really do their job well, don't they? Following the first 50 miles while I got used to them, I think I may not have children now...

Usual silly question: In for first service and left overnight as tappets need adjusting (too tight). Is there a quality control issue on the engines or is that normal?

Cheers all,
Dean 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 01:55 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

The valve clearance check is part of the standard first service even tho its very unlikely they'll need adjusting. Make sure they have actually checked them and arent just taking your money (if youre paying!) for doing it 

By Islefalco on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 02:14 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Dean,

The sidestand had 2 problems. First it is just hopeless as it is either too upright or in danfer of toppling over the other way if you park it on a slope. Second, earlier Falcos had a waek plastic pin in the sidestand switch mechanism which tended to shear off and cause the switch to fail. This was sorted on 2001 bikes onwards (mine is a 2001 yellow and it has been OK).

First problem can be modded by fiddling with the foot of the stand (I think Befbever has done this), which improves matters a bit, as I understand it. I have done nothing to it, but I am careful where I park, usually finding a flat spot, plus I use a disk under the stand if I have any doubts about the surface I am parking on. So far, it has stayed upright.  

By Befbever on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 02:24 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

A bit? Shame you weren't at Rockingham, IF, I demonstrated the rock-solidness there.

Articles are here and here

HTH 

By Dean0612 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 04:44 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Crmc33,

I was told by the garage last night that they were too tight and required adjusting. I took it to Harry Nash in Chiswick after reading about their good reputation (esp. Steve, who does the bikes). The guy who booked me in (Tom?) said that 50% of Falcos needed adjustment. Maybe I just got unlucky but as I'm off to France & Spain on Friday for a week I'm glad it's being done.

How can I check that they've done the work? I'm so mechanically competant that I get confused between a spanner and a screwdriver so any tips are welcome!

Cheers,
Dean

ps. I'm going to ensure it's been derestricted by asking for the airbox restrictor plate "so I can put photos on my website for other Falco owners". Wonder if that'll make a difference to the costs...  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 05:34 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

The value of 50% surprises me. I know a lot of bikes valves do tighten up at first as the valve seats settle but I'd not heard of many owners who had actually needed theirs adjusting at the first service.

The best way of telling if theyve checked the clearances is to paint the bolt heads on the cam cover. This doesnt tell you if theyve checked them of course but it does tell you if theyve loosened the bolts at least. You could even use a UV security marker to do it so they dont see the markings! Sly eh!
The other thing is to ask them to note down the clearance sizes (approx) before they do the job.
The bestest best way is to watch them do it!...which sort of misses the point I guess! 

By Litre1 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 05:38 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

What's a spanner?????  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 06:35 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

its found on the end of the arm of a grease monkey 

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 06:48 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Spanner?

Don't you mean WRENCH? 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 07:05 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

No, MONKEY 

By Scotty on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 07:54 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Mine needed adjusting at both required intervals so far up to 14k miles, so thats 600miles and 9300miles. Checking is easy... adjusting aparently isn't which is why the labour charge should be much higher if they have to adjust the clearances.

Yer marking bolts is a good way to tell if they've been at least loosened or not. Over an above that you just have to trust them.

I use Harry Nash (Steve) for servicing and trust his word/work as much as I can. I do think that they charge a lot for what they have to do but London ain't exactly got a huge number of dealers to choose from.

--------
For our friends in the US' benefit take a look at the slang translation on http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/s.htm
Yes the one mentioned above is here but not in the context to which it was referred to! ;-) 

By Islefalco on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 07:58 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

Bef,
You don't actually expect anything other than mild praise from me, do you?

If you want real praise, you can get yourself over here and sort mine for me.  

By Befbever on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 08:08 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

IF, fair enough. I don't actually expect any praise from anyone, to be honest. Makes life a lot simpler.

Send me your side stand and I'll sort it free of charge. All it takes is a few weeks of leaning your bike against the Manx walls.

Warranty expires when goods leave my workshop. 

By Befbever on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 08:14 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

This has made me think. Head hurts now. For all the Falconeers who can make it over to Renegade when the grease monkey is there: let him do it! He knows how I did mine and I'm sure he'll do an excellent job.

Brilliant!

No praise needed if I praise myself. 

By Johnm on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 05:56 am:  View Johnm's Profile Search for other posts by Johnm Edit this post

Hi I have had a 2000 falco for the past three months, at first I was very impressed with the power (previous bike YZF 750R) but lately it seems to have dropped off a bit. It has 6000 miles on the clock but I have only done 3500. Mechanicly all looks well so it may just be me getting used to it. I read about how easy the front comes up in second gear etc, mine will come up at low revs in first, Im not looking for a wheelie machine but I am concerned at the lack of power on mine compaired to others.

I have just fitted a pair of MTC race cans, but not too sure what chip to fit as these are not very well known cans and therefore no chips are listed, any advice here would be appriciated.
Thanks. John  

By Hansie on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 06:32 pm:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Diffecult to answer from here but there are "race"cans who make less power that standard. A dynorun with standard and racecans will give you the needed info. There are enough charts on the board here to compare.

Be sure that the wire is clipped and the restrictor in the airbox is gone.

Hansie 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation