Using your horn at high speeds :)

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Using your horn at high speeds :)
By Djr on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:37 am:  View Djr's Profile Search for other posts by Djr Edit this post

I was cruising at 220 Km/h the other day and wanted to signal a ZZR600 to make way for an adult. Indeed, I used my horn and yes it beeped. But I pressed the button to hard and now it stays in (thankgod the horn does not beep).

Anyone the same experience with the horn lever ?
And more important: what to do about it ?

CU.
Ray.  

By Befbever on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:23 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Buy WD40 and spray abundantly. You'll find out the switches for horn, signaling, start, etc. really really need it.
I never use the horn myself. I figure if they don't hear the bike now , the horn's not gonna help any.
Furthermore, I've closed the hole in front of the horn to prevent dirt getting in to my 'lectrics.

Hope this helps.

By Twowheels78 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 08:45 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

What you describe sound a lot like what happened to me when I trailered the bike. Unfortunately the tie down strap went across the horn button and then it was stuck in. Basically what happened is that the screw holding the pivot point for the horn isn't tight enough and allows it to move. You have to take the whole switch housing apart to fix it.

First take the two screws out from the bottom and then the horn, blinker and bright switches all come off. Then on the bottom part (horn and blinker switches) take the one screw holding the blinker switch out. Carefully lift the blinker switch out and then you can see the problem. Loosen the screw holding the horn switch and move the horn switch back out where it should be. Now put everything back together Now might also be a good time to grease and or WD-40 the switches. I wish I had taken some pictures but I didn't 

By Oldgit on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:36 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

What goes up, got to come down sooner or latter.  

By Exdukenut on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:50 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

DJR, I had exactly the same thing happen to my swsitch although it was at a car who pulled out into my lane. You'll have to take the switch apart to get it back to it's normal use. I guess it's our ham fisted thumbs that did it, and not the quality of the switch itself. Be carefull as the tiny screw that holds that part of the switch in will strip very easily (ie the screw is soft brass, and it was put in by a Gorilla - how they got it so tight amazes me).

Mine is fine once again.  

By Djr on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 03:52 am:  View Djr's Profile Search for other posts by Djr Edit this post

I guess this is covered by warranty because the bike just left the Aprilia factory (allthough it is a black 2000 model).

I will let it be serviced next time around.

Thanks all.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation