Cadwell Park - The story

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Cadwell Park - The story
By Befbever on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 12:09 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

No, not from me, I couldn't attend.  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:27 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

OK OK!
I'll let you know how things went this last few days of falcoism...
The mission was:
Ride from Berlin to Hoek Van Holland, catch the sea cat to Harwich and then ride to Derby. Change the MEZ3's to M1 Sportecs using my trusty spoons, then over to Cadwell Park to watch the BSB action and do a track day on the following day. This would then all be topped off with the nice ass-achingly long trip back to Berlin during the next day.

The first part of the 720km journey to the Hoek went OK.
Then I got piss-wet through in Holland as usual (it started raining as soon as I crossed the border into Holland and never stopped). Aquaplaned on a long sweeping bend on a dual carriageway at one point. Not nice.

Fitted the Sportec tyres with no probs when I got to my UK home. Then rode to Cadwell the next day to watch the Brit Superbikes there. Pretty boring really. Give me some noisy classic racing anyday! Weather was still wet and unsettled and didnt really suit standing on a muddy bank watching nurmerous race bikes zoom past.
Then the next day it was the track day, organised by 'Bike' magazine.
The Falco and the Sportecs did well at the track. Got nice n sticky altho they dont obviously have the outright grip of the Rennsports or Supercorsas. They have a lot deeper tread for wet weather and genral riding. Still, not much came past in the fast group, mainly the BIKE mag journos on their new R1's on Supercorsas and of course my bro' did on his TRX. It was amazing how he could even overtake GSXR1000's with half their horse power! Thats what being a smooth rider can do to make up a big power defecit!
We swapped bikes for one session and he couldnt believe how much grunt Freddy Falco had!
The Sportecs have now done about 1000+miles and have plenty of wear left, more grip and more life than the old MEZ3's. The front tyre has transformed the steering as expected. I got nowhere near the edge of the front tyre even at racing speeds with me knee down but I do hang off a fair bit. I also didnt want to lowside into the corners but it was working well enuf. Plenty of people did chuck their bikes into the kitty litter and I couldnt afford to do that with the ride home the next day.
I got lots of compliments about the looks and sound of the Falco. I think Jorge will be getting a few more airkit orders!! Their was a guy on a silver Falco there in the inters group too. He was asking about if mine was standard other than the race cans. As we got talking I soon found out he was your usual UK Falco rider, not meaning to offend anyuone! He didnt know about the derestriction, EBC brake pads, airkits etc. I tried to fill him in a bit.

A mate on a ZX6R was behind me in most of the sessions and he always came in laughing cos the Falco (and the TRX when I rode it) were leaving big back tyre marks on the exit of the gooseneck corner. Good fun! Its a pity that I didnt know I was doing it until he said so!

The autobahn journey home was boring as usual and also showed the rear tyre to have less straightline stability than the MEZ3, but I must admit that I should check the pressures again. I was also getting bad resonance in the screen, mirrors and instruments from 160-180kph. They would shake violently in this speed range at about 1 cycle per second. Has anyone else had this? Maybe its just a loose mount?

Other than that, I missed a turning in Holland on the way back which probably added another 30-40kms but nothing serious. Covered the last 190kms in less than an hour. Not bad seeing as I had to stop to clean my visor (fly swarms) during that time!

Covered about 2800kms in all I think. I had an oil leak at the track which was my own fault. After the last sesssion before lunch I thought the rear cylinder cam cover was leaking so I loosened the screws and tried to relocate the seal (it looked like it had been sucked in slightly). I realised that it was actually my K&N crank case breather dripping air filter oil. I went to get fuel during lunch and when I got back there was oil everwhere and burning off the exhaust.
It appeared that I had moved the cam cover seal and made the problem worse. I took the cover off during the next session and relocated the seal properly and the oil leak went away. Other than that the Falco performed flawlessly( I got the usual EFI warning in the the heavy rain in Holland as well ). The clutch was perfect with 10/40 Motul semi-synth in and I also think opening up the vacuum breather on the airkit base has helped (I had previously blocked this off accientally).

So, a good, and very tiring trip! ;o)
...and yes, Aprilias are awesome over the Cadwell mountain, I have the 'skid marks' to prove it!

By Befbever on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:10 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sounds like you had a great time! Do you smell a commission yet?

Very interesting stuff about the resonating fairing. I've been having increasing vibration on mine. Funny thing is, especially in sixth gear from 7k rpm onwards. Although it gets less above 8,5 k rpm. About the speeds you're on about, right?
I was thinking it could be the clutch bearing. Bike's going in for a service and I'll have it checked for sure!

The EFI light: take off the fuse box cover on the right-hand side of the fairing. Now you can easily access the EFI sensor. Spray abundantly with Holts' Damp Start or similar product (not WD40). Now spray the stuff inside the air induct where the tip of the sensor is. You'll never see that warning again!

Glad you got back in one piece! 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:48 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

The resonance was very strange and I'd not noticed it b4. The engine was mainly smooth during the high speed cruise, just a slight high frequency tingle thru the bars but not bad enough to numb the fingers after such a journey.
It was almost as if the front wheel was out of balance, but there was no feeling of the vibration thru the steering. The vibration wasnt just a light blurring of the mirrors either, the ends of them were flapping quite violently and the whole of the upper fairing, screen and instruments was giving it some too.
I think I'll test it again soon and try to see if it does it in 5th gear at the same speed, to see if its related to engine revs or wheel revs / road speed.

I get the impression such violent shaking isnt normal and isnt doing the instruments much good! 

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 07:26 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

I noticed mine has a fair bit of vibration too, above 60-65 mph on the highway it's hard to see much in the mirrors. I had always attributed it to the wind and road, I never really paid attention to the gear or revs, now that you mention I'll pay a little more attention to it. I had thought about putting a fairing stay on it, you know the supports that go from the top of the screen over the handlebars. But couldn't find anything and besides they look kind of ugly.  

By Twowheels78 on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 07:32 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Crmc, by the way I'm jealous I'd love to take mine to a track, there were a couple of track days around here this year but I couldn't make any Maybe next year! 

By Mental_Trev on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 07:40 am:  View Mental_Trev's Profile Search for other posts by Mental_Trev Edit this post

Quote:

He didnt know about the derestriction, EBC brake pads, airkits etc.

By Nick on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 11:46 pm:  View Nick's Profile Search for other posts by Nick Edit this post

I had the vibration problem as well above 110mph, the top fairing felt as though it was going to shake to pieces.

When I p/xed the Falco all the dealer could find was an exhaust retaining springclip missing.....which can't have been to blame so what the hell causes it????  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 12:23 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Im beginning to wonder if its the front tyre-wheel balance. Im going to recheck this.
I'll let you know the results. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation