New Falco Owner - Clutch Noise Question ?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: New Falco Owner - Clutch Noise Question ?
By Falcohell on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:10 am:  View Falcohell's Profile Search for other posts by Falcohell Edit this post

I picked up my new Falco about 3 weeks ago. Since that time, I have noticed that the clutch is quite noisy. If I click into neutral and let the clutch out there is a "thump"..."thump"..."thump" noise, which reduces if I pull in the clutch. The local dealer (here in Canberra Australia) advised me to let the bike run in further which is probably fair enough (I've done about 1100kms).

However the noise seems to be getting louder as if something is warped/out of balance. The bike runs fine - just the noise when the lever is let out in neutral.

Has anyone else had this problem ? I have read many issues on this site about clutch problems, but havent seen this one mentioned. Certainly the Falco I test rode prior to purchase has no such noise/clutch issue - but had done about 3000kms.

Should I be concerned ?

Ian  

By Scotty on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:52 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Yes you should be concerned!!

This is NOT normal... get them to look at it... this has nothing to do with running in....  

By Tbone on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 06:39 am:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

I'm not sure what you mean by the "thump..." noise you mention but all Falco have noisy clutches. The rotax/aprilia design is simply noisy when bike is in neutral and clutch is engaged. Compared though to a 996 it's relatively quite. Tip(s): make sure clutch is getting oil, make sure clutch lever is engaging/disengaging properly, put on open silencers to kill off all obnoxious engine noise.
2cents.
tbone  

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

You need an AIRKIT! The induction noise will cover any clutch noise! LOL!

J/K, It doesn't sound quite right. I'd have it looked at...sometimes, my gearbox clatters a bit in Neutral with the clutch out, but I don't think it's like what you've described. 

By Edzo on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:36 am:  View Edzo's Profile Search for other posts by Edzo Edit this post

noise is not normal. a silent pulsing feel in the lever is normal, but noise is NOT

stop riding the bike

bring it back

and have them fix it or get a new bike !

Falco is a noisy bike but only the engione mechanical clatter, not any pulsing or thumping. something is wrong or disconnected somewhere  

By R100gs on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:22 am:  View R100gs's Profile Search for other posts by R100gs Edit this post

If the noise is only heard while the bike is in neutral with the clutch engaged, then it's your transmission gears free spinning. They all do that, especially when warm. You still might get it checked out just in case.  

By Prilliant on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:02 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Mine has rattled a bit throughout its 20,000 miles when in neutral with the lever out. The noise disappears when the clutch is disengaged. Still on the original clutch with just regular fluid and oil changes. Hopefully your problem is nothing to worry about.  

By Falcohell on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 12:24 am:  View Falcohell's Profile Search for other posts by Falcohell Edit this post

Thanks for all of the advice. Sounds like there is an issue with the bike (just my luck !).

It is back with the Dealer on Friday for its first service and I will ask them again to check it over.

Ian  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation