Ducati 999?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Ducati 999?
By Oldgit on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 11:59 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

So is it the best yet? maybe a good track bike, Fast yes, good looking maybe, one thing for sure, it's small, very small, get a look at the mirrors, woulden't like to bend one, expensive looking thing that.
Oh yes, and what happend to the headlights? wouldn't want to be out on a dark night with those. No thanks Ducati I will stick to my Falco for now, I could even buy two for the price of a 999  

By Ronnie on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 01:51 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Hi peeps
saw one yesterday,not impressed at all.Too much open frame work at rear.Looks spindly.Engine is impressive tho.
Off my list
Getmeleathers

Ronnie  

By Brianr on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 11:57 am:  View Brianr's Profile Search for other posts by Brianr Edit this post

Well I nearly bought one...... last week. I think it looks the dog bollocks. It is beautiful. Take a look at that swingarm�.oooooooooo. However I got bum ache sitting on it in the showroom. Cant go far on it. It would also fall apart (or I would) with the miles I do and it would not sell to well in two years with 20K miles on it. I liked it a lot�� but I bought an RSVR as (for me) it would do everything so much better except depreciate.
But I still would not mind one for that track day once in a while.

BrianR  

By Oldgit on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 03:14 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

I agrea great on the track Brian, but I read the bike is adjustable for larger rider's does this mean at last Ducati has stopped building bikes for pigmies  

By Oldgit on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 03:16 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

I agrea great on the track Brian, but I read the bike is adjustable for larger rider's does this mean at last Ducati has stopped building bikes for pigmies  

By Befbever on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 01:04 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

At the time of the 916 etc., everyone knew it would be hard to top these great lines. And lo and behold: they were all right.
As for riding one, I never did. The only guy I knew with a Duck had a 998R and binned it before I had a chance.

The 999, I don't particularly like the look. Hate the front of the fairing (never liked the lights of the MV either) and I think the swingarm is just plain ugly. The exhaust? Yuk!
Having said that, I've no idea how it will ride. Fine, I guess.

It seems to me that Ducati have taken more than a few leaves out of the Aprilia book. If I had the dosh, I'd sooner get an RSV-R. I hear they're not much slower than a Falco.

Just MHO, the more the merrier!

By Brianr on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:08 am:  View Brianr's Profile Search for other posts by Brianr Edit this post

Not wanting to get into the RSVR falco thing. But when I have ran this thing in I will be able to tell and we will all know which is quicker.
Tell you one thing (two actually) the Falco still has the lead in looks and style(and comfort) but there is no way it handle's any where near as well as the RSVR. It is astonishing how well this thing falls into and keeps tracking round a corner.
Give me a moment or to to get 1000 miles on it and we will see how the rest of it goes.

No slating please im a sensitive chap

BrianR  

By Befbever on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:34 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I believe you! And I'm a sensitive chap too.

Tell you the truth, I'm going to test the RSV, RSV-R & Futura back to back next month I hope. I already know how a (well-suspended) Falco handles. I'm just starting to get curious about the alledged smoothness of the new RSV and I want to experience the light wheels first-hand.

Btw, it's not my goal in life to be quicker than an RSV-R or anything else for that matter. But it is nice.  

By Hansie on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 01:58 pm:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Dont like the 999 much either , not so special , except for the price that is! I think that the taillight is from a second hand lorry.

I think if its wasnt made by Ducati but MZ it wouldnt get so much attention.

Handling should be okay , they had 10+ years to think about it.

Hansie 

By Prilliant on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 02:14 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

If the 999 is a decendant of the 998, 996, 916 family then it's reasonable to expect the handling to be peerless (assuming the road is not too bumpy). But don't you just pity the poor guy who got the job description "design a replacement for the best looking bike the world has ever known."

I haven't seen one in the metal yet so it wouldn't be fair to comment but I know the first pics I saw of the Falco did it no justice at all.

It's all irrelevant anyway, I've ridden and enjoyed sports bikes but prefer the versatility the Falco delivers.

You could load a Falco with Ohlins shock and forks, OZ wheels and still have change from the 999s £11,000 price tag.  

By Richandall on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:13 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Don't like the stacked headlamps - change for it's own sake. But you know something, I never thought the 916 much of a looker anyway. If the 916 is B. Streisand after the nose job the 999's the 'before' photo. Similar personality and almost as costly to run. Fine for a quick fling so long as you can hand her back afterwards. Think I'll give it a miss.

- Rich 

By Dean0612 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:58 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Saw my first 999 at the weekend in On Yer Bike in Aylesbury and I have to say that I was totally underwhelmed. It was sitting just inside the main entrance and maybe it says something about the outstanding looks that I walked straight past it and didn't even realise it was there until I noticed three or four people standing around it 10 minutes later.

The front end; erm, yes. Those lights and vents look even more ill-advised in the flesh. The rear isn't too bad and though I liked the look of the exhaust in the Bike photos, in real life it looks too small and toy like. The tank is all sharp angles and the red pillion pad just looks cheap. All in all, a disappointment to see and while I doubt I'll have a chance to ride it, it's not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

Dean  

By Tokas on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 12:39 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

This friday I had an opportunity to testdrive the 999.

It feels very small and narrow, but still plenty of room for my legs (I'm 185 cm). The fairing is to low of course, sacrificed for looks? I'm no racer really, and this is actually the only Duc I ever rode, but I really like the handling of the 999. I turns quickly and inspires confidence. The bike is rock solid in 180km/h (112 miles/h), I wasn't alowed to spinn the engine above 8000 rpm...

The brakes are awesome! SO powerful but still easy to control. It's hard to see anything in the mirrors as expected. And the under seat exhausts really warms the butt, especial rearmost. But it sound to puny with original silencer and wouldn't like to think about the cost for a replace unit...

Would i want a 999? Yes!

Would i pay the 17 000 � they ask for it? No way!
I belive a RSV or RSV-R is a lot better buy in that category.

But personally I'll stick to my Falco. I love it. Beautiful and comfy. Still I have never seen any other Falco on the roads, it's nice to be unique!  

By Islefalco on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 02:30 am:  View Islefalco's Profile Search for other posts by Islefalco Edit this post

I like the look of it - beauty in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Would I buy one? No.

I must be old and boring these days, the only Ducati I would consider buying now is an ST4S.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 03:11 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Am I correct in thinking the 999 weighs nearly 200Kgs? ...so not only does it look like a barge....  

By Oldgit on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:52 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

ST4S, it's the only one I ever seriously considerd, that is until I heard that clutch rattle.  

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 03:15 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

can it be that ugly, realy?
YUCH. 

By Richandall on Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:51 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

I once started a thread about why do they think one size suits all. Like if c*rs were built on that principle the yanks would've taken the manufacturers to the cleaners in product liability lawsuits. I spose if bikers fall off at the lights because their leg length won't take the camber we get too embarrassed to sue. Maybe lawyers don't ride much. Or are too cautious to fall off.

Anyway, that's a long way round of saying, where Ducati leads the world must follow.

Btw is the Ducati 999 Italian? Owned by a N American conglomerate and designed by a Terribleblanche (that would be an Afrikaaner then) with inputs from US lawyers who insisted on the adjustable bits...

- Richard  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation