Clip-ons

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Clip-ons
By Twowheels78 on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:18 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

A while ago I saw some threads about mounting the clip-on's above the triple clamp. You see, lately my right wrist has been bothering me. Yes, I am single and right handed but lets not go there Wouldn't want to derail another thread, would we? Couple of questions then... arghh, I gotta stop that I sound like one of you crazy brits Blimey!

I know I would need to raise the forks in the clamps one line, but I would like to do that anyway. Is it hard to raise the forks? Does anybody have the procedure documented?

I'm also concerned about the throttle cables, is there enough slack in the cables for this? I seem to recall someone saying something about Futura cables?

Does mounting the clip-ons above the top clamp foul the fairing or screen?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated! 

By Oldgit on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 05:06 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Hi Twowheels78, I tried fitting my bar's above the clamp, this is how I did it.
I put the bike on a rear stand. I fitted two bolt's instead of the normal bobbin's, or you could use large strong cabel tie's around the bobbin's to stand, so that the bike is stabel, then I put a trolley jack under the oil tank beneath the engine, next remove the front brake callipars and hang them up out of the way. Once you have slackened the relevant bolts, you just raise the bike letting the forks slid through with the front wheel still in touch with the deck, use WD40 to help them slid, Lift out your bars,

I found the cabals were short, and you would need to move bits and bobs but it was possible, in the end I decided to go back to standerd, but it kept me out of mischif for a while.  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 06:54 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Guys, I have a real concern about this idea. I fully understand the need for higher bars...I've contemplated the Gilles, Two-Bros, etc...

However, it's not just a comfort issue. If you raise the forks in the triple clamp enough to make the clip-on attach properly, you are making a LARGE front-end geometry change. Am I missing something here? Depending on how much you actually drop the front, you're talking about a change that will (if I understand correctly) really speed up steering.

Am I for thinking this way??? 

By Splyn on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 07:14 am:  View Splyn's Profile Search for other posts by Splyn Edit this post

i have Gilles risers on mine and on my cross country trip, my right wrist was ACHING. so in Grand Junction, CO i stopped by a bike shop to see if they had a throttle lock or something. well, i ended up getting a "Cramp Buster". Its a little plastic flap that mounts on you throttle. when you grab the throttle, your wrist sits on top of the tab enabling you to conrol the throttle with your wrist instead of gripping the throttle. this littl accessory completely alleviated my wrist cramping. i keep it off for the sport riding that i do, but i keep it in the tool kit just in case i want to slip it back on for some highway droning.  

By Twowheels78 on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 07:14 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

I've got three lines showing now, which I believe is the stock setting. I would like to raise the forks so there are four lines showing. This will quicken the steering, but a lot of people said they do this anyway, it wouldn't hurt to quicken the steering a little bit. That will hopefully give me enough room to mount the clip-ons above the top triple clamp. Or am I the one that's crazy?!?

Has anybody else noticed that the bars seem really small in diameter? Has anybody fitted aftermarket grips and if so what kind? 

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 07:28 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

A cheap solution you might want to consider are the 70's style "Fin-Q" grips. They're thicker in the middle, and right grip has a "fin" which accomplishes the same thing as the "rocker."

If you raise the forks one line, is there enough material for the clip on to "grab?"  

By Splyn on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 03:56 pm:  View Splyn's Profile Search for other posts by Splyn Edit this post

i had a VFR that i put some Gen Mar risers on. the VFR bars fit above the clamps and these risers were pieces of aluminum that fit between the top triple and the clipons. this caused the fork to come up only half-way through the "clamping area" of the clipon. this companies solution for this was nothing except a small metal cap to cover the clipon where the fork used to protrude.

the system worked pretty well. as long as at least half of the clipon can "clamp" the fork tube, things should be fine.  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 08:20 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Splyn, that's helpful...I was wondering what happens to the "cavern" that's created if the fork leg doesn't come all the way up into the clipon...  

By Brucecalhoon on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 10:26 am:  View Brucecalhoon's Profile Search for other posts by Brucecalhoon Edit this post

Back to the original question: Has anyone successfully mounted the clipons on top of the triple clamp? If so, what problems did they run into and was the change worth it?

Best regards  

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 06:51 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Oldgit, Thanks for the info, one more question though. Did the clip-on's foul the fairing when mounted on top of the triple clamp?

I checked out where the forks are now, they are on the third line. If I were to raise them to the fourth line that would give me enough to clamp the clip-ons too, although the forks probably wouldn't be even with the top of the clip-ons. It would quicken the steering but not to much and besides it could stand to be a little bit quicker.

I could go to five lines, that would bring the forks even with the top of the clip-ons. However I'm afraid that will quicken the steering too much. I'm also concerned with the clearance between the front wheel and radiators with the forks fully compressed. Has anybody gone to five lines? Does it comprimise handling or wheel/radiator clearance? 

By Litre1 on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 05:06 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Having just gone to BT012SS's, I would caution your tire (tyre) choice if you do change the geometry of the steering. Be aware that you will want a flatter profile tire on the front (like the MEZ3) to counter the quicker steering. I just switched tires from the Z3's, and that may be an extreme change in the shape of the front tire (with my limited knowledge), but it is a HUGE difference. Just my $0.02.  

By Oldgit on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 11:26 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Twowheels78, I think I had five lines before it looked right, it didn't hit the fairing but you would have to lower the clutch fluid reservoir + bracket and adjust the bar stops etc. The clipon fixing bolt that fit's into the fork yoke from beneath is defunct also, not good. I don't think you would have a problem with clearance between the front wheel but I never rode with this mod. I decided it was not for me, and gave it up.
I adjusted my clutch and brake levers to face lower down and had no more problems with discomfort.  

By Fullstate on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 02:39 pm:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

I didn't see anyone mention a simple technique used to help with wrist fatigue and soreness.

Simply rotate your levers (clutch/brake) downward until you are able to have your hands, wrists and arms all in a straight alignment. This will take pressure off of your wrists and reduce fatigue.

One thing to be careful with, you don't want to rotate them so far that you are tightening the lines and affecting the clutch/brakes. You will find that you can achieve a desired result with a minimal amount of movement.

Hope that helps...

Fullstate  

By Andyjfalco on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 04:26 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Litre1, how do you find the 012's? have you jacked the rear up on your bike? What do you mean about a flatter profile, I'm thinking of trying the 012's next but might go for the Mez M1's. Keep us posted please. 

By Fullstate on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 05:16 pm:  View Fullstate's Profile Search for other posts by Fullstate Edit this post

Ooops... Looks like someone did already suggest rotating the levers. Sorry about that!

Fullstate  

By Geo on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 08:16 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I got BT012s and the fork legs raised to five lines showing on my 01 RSV. No problems with either.
Geo  

By Befbever on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 10:56 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Fullstate, one of the first things I did on the bike was to turn the levers downwards. However I waited to do that until my dealer gave me more slack on the brake lines. I couldn't have done it otherwise and I couldn't be bothered to bleed the system myself.

I've never had sore wrists btw. I do get some pain in the palm of my hands after filtering through c*r lanes after a while. 

By Litre1 on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 05:55 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Andy-

The 012's are visibly more rounded than the Z3's. You won't notice it unless you are looking for it, but you can definitely feel it! I'm just getting them scuffed in, and I have already gotten more lean than I ever did with the Z3's--and I'm not one to lean in more than a cautious angle in the road. I had to counter steer a lot with the Z3's, while I can lean in with a slight shifting of my hips with the 012's. I can't say enough good about them. Can't attest to wear yet.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation