Tyres

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Tyres
By Gus8 on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:20 pm:  View Gus8's Profile Search for other posts by Gus8 Edit this post

ok ive got the flyer from todays mcn, the one for busters, and they have 207rr`s for £140 a pair, i was looking to get 010`s, as i have read good things about them,and i really need a tyre to build my confidence(piss taking welcome) anyone got an opinion on the dunlops? should i pay the extra for the bridgestones? or get the stonking deal on the dunlops?  

By Prilliant on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:23 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Haven't ridden on 207RRs but have heard very good things about them from seriously fast riders. Really grippy but not too radical a profile so as to make the bike slappy. £139 the pair, you'd be mad not to!! 

By Andyjfalco on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 01:54 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

You might find them a bit hard to get up to tempriture, don't forget winter's on it's way. I'm going to get some for next years track days. 

By Pmcc2002 on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 05:46 pm:  View Pmcc2002's Profile Search for other posts by Pmcc2002 Edit this post

Just put on 207,s on saturday past. I bought for price really and i had heard they suit the falco well and can achieve high miles. First impressions are very good. I immediately noticed a very quick turn in compared to the pirelli super corsa but that might just be down to the wear on the previous tyre. The speed of turn in doesnt affect stability and the bike doesnt want to stand up so much under braking. Grip is always there even in wet. I am a really big fan of the bt 010's but i think these are as good. Have to say at that price buy as i paid £180 in Northern Ireland  

By Tokas on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 08:26 pm:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

MOTORRAD magazine (Germany) made a test on sports tyres for track use recently. This was there conclusion:

Max pointsDunlopDunlopMetzelerMichelinPirelli
D 207 RRD 207 GPRennsport RS2Pilot RaceSupercorsa SC2
Behaviour
Handling201715171617
Steer precision302725262627
Curve grip302728293029
Acc grip302426272928
Curve stability201818161617
Border area302624272227
Skidding201212141315
Total points180151148156152160
Wet behaviour
Steer precision20141514915
Curve grip302418201421
Acc grip20151415915
Border area403025312931
Total points1108372806182

By Tokas on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 10:57 pm:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

...I should say that the test were made on a Yamaha R1. They had mounted a steering-damper on it beacause these type of race tyres need it in high speed more than normal tyres, and some tyres like the Michelin Pilot Race demands this for the tyre to be homologized for road use!

By the way; I bought the extra pointy version of Pirelli Supercorsa: Three (1F+2R) roadracing tyres second hand, but almost as new in the middle... Stinky cheap! SEK1300=£90!
And I absolutely love them. Extra pointy = Extra fast turning! 

By Nickp on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 11:18 pm:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

Aren't they doing the std D207s n'all ?? You might be better wi' them for road use.  

By Tokas on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:06 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

Yeah, perhaps.

But the Supercorsas warm up quite nicely. I've got the SC1 "supersoft" up front, and the SC2 rear. But warming the rear has never been any problem with our v-twins have it?

...and for that price, who am I to argue?

I might even get som money over for essential carbonfibre uppgrades like this: toiletseats 

By Scotty on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:50 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Busters are selling std 207s for the same price as the RRs.
These are far more suitable for road use.

Tokas all the tyres you list may well be road legal but I personally wouldn't want to be riding everyday on them. The rears in particular will be buggered in very little mileage.. let me guess with a nice squared off pattern in the centre probably in 2000miles max. Also on cold days they are not going to warm up properly.

METZ3 and 010 rears (soft road tyres) can be finished in some 2500-3500 miles only, probably less in some peoples cases.  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:49 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Yeh, I was gonna say, my MEZ3 rear is gonna be lucky to see 2000miles anyway.
Bloody airkit!

Mind you, the sooner I fit some quicker steering tyres the better 

By Tokas on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 05:00 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

Yep! My oppinion as well. Those MEZ3 are lousy; short mileage (~2200 miles) and bad steering response.

That's why I like my extra pointy Supercorsas, they stay nicely rounded longer...

And i don't mind changing rear every 2000 miles, when it only costs me less than a quarter/mile...  

By Fastrider on Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 01:53 pm:  View Fastrider's Profile Search for other posts by Fastrider Edit this post

Hi all, I have just ordered a pair of those D207RR's for my Falco. Currently have Pilot Sports on and absolutely hate the damn things. Got no confidence in them one iota. I wanted to put BT010 or 012's on next but saw the price in Busters and thought sod it, I'll try the 207RR's. Bought a 2nd helmet too, Shark RSV, didn't have any RS2's left. Just hope these 207RR's will be good in the forthcoming shit weather good 'ol blighty always endures. 

By Philg on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:51 am:  View Philg's Profile Search for other posts by Philg Edit this post

Just got quoted 220 quid for Dunlop 207's, when I told them (2 wheel tyre centre in Gloucester)I had already been quoted 196 he came down to 190, thats fitted on the bike, balancing, valves and vat does that sound too bad?
Incidentally I got around 2300 miles on the Metzlers, they are really breaking up in the middle now.

Phil  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 04:59 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Wow,what a difference!!! I just mounted up the BT012SS's and the difference is incredible! If I had known how much difference it made, I would have discarded the Z3's at the showroom! For anyone who is trying to increase turn-in into the corners, try this tire first before making any major adjustments to the bike's geometry. I haven't even gotten them scuffed in yet, and I can't wait to put the grip to the test. You can imagine the grin under my helmet yesterday!  

By John1000 on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 03:04 pm:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

I too fitted a pair of 012ss and even with my limited talent on two wheels found them to quicken the steering and give great confidence. 

By Jamsfalco on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:00 am:  View Jamsfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Jamsfalco Edit this post

Just for info .......

I have fitted M1s to the falco and they turn well and inspire confidence with all that they do. On a recent track day with these on i successfully managed to grind away the bottom of the R/H can with a considerable `angle of dangle`. So the question is.....if the standard road tyre is limited by the design of the bike is fitting the RR or SS type tyre just false economy?  

By Philg on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:11 am:  View Philg's Profile Search for other posts by Philg Edit this post

I said I was going to buy 207's, well when I got to the tyre place the guy talked me into buying Pirelli MTR24's (23 front)saying they were a much better tyre in that they really are sports/tourers with dual compound (harder in center) just like the Bridgestones.
Comparing the profile they appear very much like the Metz's except he says expect to get around 4500 miles out of them (2500 on Metz)
The Dunlop 207's which I was going to buy were wider and more 'v' shaped, I think i saw the other day in the Mille string that someone put them on and they hit the chain! I can believe it after seeing the shape of those things!!
Still running the tyres in but feel good so far, real smooth turn in especially on those slow corners.
Phil  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation