Side stand problem

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Side stand problem
By Pbeachcruzer on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 02:44 pm:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

why is it that when my side stand is down the light indicates that it's up and when it's up, the light indicates that its down? any guesses? the only thing ive done to the electrical system is install an alarm. just a tap into the parking circuit to flash the lights when the alarm is armed and disarmed. do i need to switch the wires for the switch? lol.  

By Pbeachcruzer on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 03:01 pm:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

maybe i should mention that it just started happening. didnt do it this morning but did this afternoon. and its just the light. the bike still runs just like it should: loud and fast  

By Tokas on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 06:37 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

Just a wild guess:
Could it be the pin on the sidestand switch that got broken off, and the switch has been missalligned, but still rotates (thanks to friction) when the stand is pulled up/down?

It's very common with a broken pin on the sidestand switch on Falcos prior to model 2001.

See Kens Falco page http://www.geocities.com/sl_mille/index.html 

By Crmc33 on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 10:19 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I think Tokas is right, the chances are your sidestand switch pin has sheared off. All of the early Falcos do it. Easily remedied tho. 

By Pbeachcruzer on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 11:22 am:  View Pbeachcruzer's Profile Search for other posts by Pbeachcruzer Edit this post

well, it just quit working all together. thanks for the recomendations. ill check it out.  

By Redlionfalco on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 12:55 pm:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

Hi Gary,
Had the same thing on my Falco as a result of removing the switch which caused the pin to shear off. I fixed mine by drilling a 1.5MM hole where the pin used to be and then inserting a cut down piece of nail. Now works fine again.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation