In search of good mountain roads--US

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: In search of good mountain roads--US
By Litre1 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 04:40 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

I am planning a trip for September through Virginia and West Virginia. Anyone live in those states, or traveled through that know of some stretches of pavement I should include on my itenerary? I'll be traveling from Georgia to Pennsylvania and back Sept. 13-17.

By Wader2 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:43 am:  View Wader2's Profile Search for other posts by Wader2 Edit this post

Let me know when and if your heading through SC (upstate) and maybe we can cross paths.  

By Splyn on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:53 am:  View Splyn's Profile Search for other posts by Splyn Edit this post

ooh. ooh. ooh.

i jsut got back from a cross-country trip on my Falco (http://www.splyn.com for the trip log). some of the best roads were in Virginia/West Virginia.

blue ridge parkway/skyline drive (VA) is a bit slow but wonderful sweepers and nice scenery. in WVA, Rt 33 was really nice, and 211 is a must see.

211 is a road that goes through Logan Pass in the Shanendoah mountains. sportbikers dream road. but be careful, the road has some surprises in the form of decreasing radius turns. from Skyline drive, you can go east on 211, which takes you down the east side of the muntain, and youll end up at Cooters garage (remember the Dukes of Hazard? the very same Cooter.). at Cooters, turn around and head back up the mountain on 211 but go down the other side.

also check out http://www.sportbikes.net. there is a forum there for West Virginia. 

By Litre1 on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 05:01 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Thanks Splyn, and thanks for the entertaining website. I read the whole thing yesterday. I can tell you haven't had time to edit much of the text, but I could still follow it. Man, I need to learn how to create flash sites. I got a lot of info from guys on www.sportbikes.net. The Deals Gap forum is some entertaining reading. There are a few young buck rednecks from my home state (TN) on there showing a definite lack of intelligence. Jerry Springer should take a look at that site! Veerrrrry entertaining.  

By Litre1 on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 05:08 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Wader2--

Sorry, we won't be heading through SC. We'll be taking 129 and 19 through NC, and then the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way back home. But we should get together some weekend since we live close to each other. Do you get to come down to Road Atlanta in May for the AMA race? I've been to the last two. Give me a shout next year if you are coming down.  

By Cplus on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 05:24 pm:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

Litre1 -
Splyn is right about VA rt. 211 from New Market through Luray (stop at the caverns) and up to the Skyline drive. I'd also put in a big plug for WV rt. 33 from Elkins WV to Harrisonburg VA -- one of my all time favorite mountain pass roads.

If you're riding through WV, you might want to try rt. 219. Some very nice twisty bits through the Monongahela and generally pretty empty. If you're looking for a loop, you might want to start in Winchester VA, head west on rt. 50 into WV, then south on 72 down to 55 and east back to Srasburg.

The roads in northern Georgia are great as well. Take a look for rts. 60, 19 & 180 just north of Dahlonega, it can be a great loop. Also GA rt. 180 over to 348 and the other roads through the Chattahoochee are fantastic for riding.

Enjoy!  

By Litre1 on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 12:25 pm:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Right now, days 2 and 3 look like this:

Day 2
From Boone, US 421 east towards Wilkesboro, NC to Hwy. 16
-Alt NC 18 north to NC 93 across VA line
NC 16 north to Pisgah, VA
US 19 north to Beckley, WV
WV 3 east
US 219 north to Rte. 32 and Black Water Falls state park

Day 3
Hwy 93 east to US 50
US 50 west through MD to Grafton, WV
US 119 south to Buckhannon, WV
US 33 east, stop at Spruce Knob-Seneca Rock National Park
US 33 east to hwy 701 north to New Erection, VA (I need a photo)
To Harrisonburg, US 11 north to New Market, VA
Hwy 211 east to Skyline Drive
Skyline Drive south to Waynesboro, VA

Day 4
Blue Ridge Parkway to Bryson City, NC

I think I'm hitting all the roads that have been suggested. Anything I'm missing? Anyone know the story behind New Erection, VA? 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation