For all those riders with Ride Height Adjustable Rear Shocks....

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: For all those riders with Ride Height Adjustable Rear Shocks....
By Exdukenut on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 12:01 am:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

If you thought that the sidestand on a std Falco/Mille, was a bit dodgy, then be very careful about where you park your bike if you've adjusted only the rear ride height adjuster on an aftermasrket shock.

IT WILL fall over, if you are not aware AT ALL TIMES, as to where you park.

no I haven't had it fall over, but after I jacked up the rear of the bike by almost 2.5cms(1 inch to you yanks), I stopped at our normal cafe and propped the std as per normal, but noticed a definate uneasiness in the attitude of the bike.

Now this will only occur if you don't modify the std (which I will be doing shortly), and you have raised the rear but not lowered the front. (Which IMHO it doesn't need), as it turns into corners superbly, with just that 2.5 cms extra at the rear. It is an absolute pearler now, and I thought it steered great as std with the right tyres.

Now if Aprilia only looked on the various boards, and read the riders gripes about sidestand's etc........we can only dream..........

By Seedy on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 01:17 am:  View Seedy's Profile Search for other posts by Seedy Edit this post

Hi All
I had my bike fall off the stand last Xmas. I have since fitted a stand off a wrecked GSXR 600 which was almost a straight swap.

Sorry I don't have any photos (or a camera) but you might find one at a wrecker to play with. The added stability is well worth the effort. The stand sits around 2 inches further away from the centreline of the bike when down and tucks away in exactly the same position when up.

Cheers  

By Prilliant on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 06:44 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Ta very much Seedy. I know just where I can get one of those. Yer a genius!! 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 06:56 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Lettus know if its a simple bolt-on job!  

By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 07:04 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Does the side stand switch still fit?  

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 07:13 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

That's a great suggestion. Is there any particular model (year) that works better, or are they all the same? Seedy what do you mean 'almost a straight swap'? What mods are required to the gixxer std to get it to work?

Andy, as to the sidestand pin switch you can always go and join the wires together, refer ken laws falco site. Note this is the fix for the broken side stand pin switch by the way.

By Nickp on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 01:10 am:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

Seedy,

Is your bike "cranked" up at the rear or is it std ride height? Just wondering if your mod works with the ride height maxed out (as mine). I've currently got an alloy plate fastened (bodged!) onto the foot of my 'stand to give the bike the right attitude, and would prefer a more permanent solution.
Cheers mate.  

By Seedy on Friday, August 16, 2002 - 04:12 pm:  View Seedy's Profile Search for other posts by Seedy Edit this post

I have rotated the triangular linkage to give max ride height with the std shock. Yeah I know this is a dodgy solution but after some ummmm.... issues with a WP shock, I had to put the std shock back in. The GSXR stand works with standard ride height as well

Cheers  

By Nickp on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 12:39 am:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

Seedy,

Which model Gixer is the 'stand off ? And how much "modding" was involved ?
Cheers mate.  

By Scottaride on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 07:02 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Great info, but will it be suitable for the 2002 RSV Mille as well?  

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 09:01 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Scott, the stands for the Mille & Falco everywhere but the US are exactly the same. So this mod should theoretically work. Whether it works for a ride height adjusted bike is debatable. We'll just have to wait and see, when someone does it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation