Broken chip

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Broken chip
By Crmc33 on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:21 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I (or should I say 'her indoors') has broken 4 prongs off my BBpower chip when removing it from the ECU.
Ive fitted the OE Falco chip back in its place. Is anyone out there running the original OE chip with the Rene airkit and race cans such as the Aprilia SL Carbons?

I havent had chance to test the bike since fitting the OE chip but I'll report back with my findings. I expect theres plenty of owners who are currently running this setup. Please comment on performance if you do.

Does anyone know if the chip prongs can be repaired successfully (its the chip daughterboard prongs that have actually broke)? I guess the simplest option is to get BBPower to fit a new daughterboard to the chip?
Im at Cadwell in a couple of weeks so I would like my chip back in if possible!

Any comments welcome, particularly ones that verge on being serious. 

By Kbomonfalco on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 03:44 pm:  View Kbomonfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Kbomonfalco Edit this post

Crmc33,
I'll be as serious as I can.....
I had to go back to the stock e-prom after I noticed I was running rich (or should I say the bike was running rich ). I left the wire clipped. The bike ran pretty good. I noticed about 30 more miles before the "fuel light" illuminated. It was noticeably "flatter" for lack of a better word. I had lost some power according to the arse dyno. Jim sent me a new e-prom (+2) about a week later. I have my power back and seem to be running at the correct mix. I hope to get on the dyno soon and check all that out. Mileage is still better than the first Rene e-prom (+10).

I hope I've answered your question. Didn't mean to ramble on....
Kevin (Rene pipes & Airkit ) 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 12:20 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Thanx for the info Kb,
Its looking like a computer engineer at work can repair the prongs OK so I should be able to use the chip again.
Not tried the OE chip yet as Im waiting for some dry weather for the full test. Did you find that the bike lost top end or or just mid range power or power right across the rev range?
I think the BBPower chip runs on the rich side (even with the leanest map of the two I have available), the bike generally goes onto reserve after 110 miles but is dependant on how many cold starts I have and how many flat out runs I do on the autobahn! It cant be running too bad as its pulling upto 155mph with my big back pack on.
It will be interesting to see how the OE chip affects the top speed.
Viva Aprilia! 

By Kbomonfalco on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 03:27 pm:  View Kbomonfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Kbomonfalco Edit this post

Crmc33,
I noticed the power loss was mostly in the midrange. It just wasn't pulling like I had gotten used to. Not sure about the top end. There aren't many places that I feel comfortable opening her up. 136 is my V-max so far. I chicken out after that .
I have been getting to 140 miles or so before the fuel light burns steady. It was down to 110 with the first "+10" e-prom. But it sure did let out an awesome flame back then .
Let me know if you notice any difference.

Kevin 

By Befbever on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 06:25 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Crmc, does this latest exploit fit in the "if it ain't broke, break it" series somehow?

Just wondering.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:52 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I was discussing the BBPower chip with the manufacturer and had the ECU box out to check the serial number so that he could tell me exactly what maps were on it. During this little investigation I was tempted to remove the chip and try the OE chip to see the effect on top speed / top end power (ready for the track day) and my wife offered to carefully remove the chip. In doing so she kindly removed the chip/daughterboard and bent half off the fragile prongs almost flat. Many of them snapped when I bemt them back.
I have now sent the chip back to BBpower and he is repairing it for the price of the postage. Very good customer service I reckon.
I asked him to make the engine a 1200 whilst he's at it! 

By Befbever on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 10:52 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

Many of them snapped when I bemt them back.

And now you're trying to tell her it's her fault, right? Good luck with that!

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 10:49 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

....and my Falco wouldnt start this morning (at all). It turned over the engine (no not upside down) but wasnt interested in firing. Oh dear what has she done!

many flicks at the kill switch, sidestand and reconnection of the battery made no difference at all. Oh dear. I cycled to work.

My guess is my original chip is b'loxed. Am I right in thinking that the original chip has no daughterboard between it and the main ECU board? 

By Befbever on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 01:09 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

no daughterboard
Yep. The Renegade Eprom goes where the stock chip was.
Will this compromise your outing to Cadwell? I hope not! 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 01:32 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I would like one of those +2 chips to go with my hairkit but it appears the only way to get one is to keep saving for the full system. If I print this page and stick the Renegade sticker on my chip will it solve the problem?
At the moment I dont know if I'll get to Cadwell or not 

By Hansie on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 02:35 pm:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Quote:

I would like one of those +2 chips to go with my hairkit but it appears the only way to get one is to keep saving for the full system.

If Tokas doesnt buy my chip you can have it for 500 euro with free highmounts! BARGAIN!

Hansie 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 10:30 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I found the problem with my OE chip. It has a prong missing at one end (hard to tell at first sight) ...the dealer must have broken it last year and 'accidentally on purpose forgot' to mention it. Its odd cos the prong has snapped off directly at the chip interface so theres no way of repairing it either.
Im not even gonna try n argue with the dealer who did it cos I can guess his reply.....
TBH Im just glad that I have an explanation why my bike wouldnt run yesterday and was sending flames out of the pipes the length of the street, at 7.30 am! 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 11:11 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Youll be glad (I hope) to know that theres one more booming Falco on the road tonight. The chip is fixed and the bike is back to its awesome self. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation