'Ello

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: 'Ello
By Dean0612 on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 09:41 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Hi all,

Well, saw my first Falco last Thursday and on Saturday I put down a deposit on a nice shiny new one and agreed a trade-in on my XJR1300. I pick up the bike on 2nd Sept, dealer not being open on the 1st. Then it's 600 miles before the first service on the 5th because I'm off to southern France, Andorra and northern Spain for a week on the 7th.

Anyway, thought I'd say 'hi' and ask a quick question or two. I've read about the derestriction, snipping and unplugging and so on, and have a couple of questions about it. First of all, when's the best time to do this? Following the running in, ASAP, once I get used to the bike (never ridden a twin before )?

Secondly, I'm thinking about getting the streetfighter cans, chip, etc. - would the chip mean that I don't have to do the derestriction or would it help there too?

Thanks in advance. 

By Befbever on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 11:07 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hi, Dean and welcome.
Some great taste you have: an XJR (like the look of that!) and now the Falco.
Ride the bike for 600 miles, then derestrict it. It'll give you more of a chance to get used to it.
Be careful when you go on that trip right-away: it's not an inline four as you will find.

No matter what chip you put in, derestriction is always needed.

Well, not needed but highly recommended.

Add this site to your bookmarks:
www.twowheelracing.co.uk/Falco
You'll find out it comes in handy.  

By Durangokid on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:47 pm:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

Dean,

I am new to this Forum and Falco ownership as well, welcome. I picked up my new '01 Black Falco on Saturday. I have 225 miles on it so far. I had the dealer de-restrict the bike and add RSC Carbon pipes at delivery.

I may have purchased the Streetfighter pipes if they were available. A reason not to purchase them is they prohibit the use of the Aprilia soft bags.

I have a friend that has the Streetfighter pipes and they sound unbelievable. Honestly, about the same as the RSC Carbons though. It's a matter of availability and taste.

The biggest problem you will have the first 600 miles is the rev limit during the break in period. You will want to avoid constant revs during the break in period. The bike is amazing though. 6000 revs in 6th gear is a lazy 100 mph!

Chuk  

By Kbomonfalco on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:58 pm:  View Kbomonfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Kbomonfalco Edit this post

Good to see that there are new folks joining the Falco family.
It was looking like everyone was going to leave for "greener pastures".
Any "greener" than my falco would be ..... ooooooh!
Don't know where I was going there?

Glad to have you. Your input is welcome and encouraged!

Kevin  

By Kerryc on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:50 pm:  View Kerryc's Profile Search for other posts by Kerryc Edit this post

Dean,

Forget the rest ... CHANGE THE TYRES ... there are plenty of threads on here regarding choices, but a personal preference is the Battlax 010 front 020 rear for a mix of longevity and grip. Depends on your riding preference/style.

Welcome to a fantastic ride!

Ciao
Kerry  

By Tinkytot on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 03:51 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Eh up,
Well, I picked mine up on Sunday, so I guess things are looking up.

I posted about 3 weeks ago and all your replys encouraged me to go ahead and adopt a Falco over my VTR 1000. I'm pleased to say the least. Only done 200 miles though. I'll post my thoughts after I've had a chance to learn her habits.
I have had to pick the bike up mid corner many times as you really had to pull the VTR over.

Anyway having a great time, engine's top notch. Just one thing - the bike has high level renegade cans and my insureance company will not insure me with these on.
What do the rest of you do?  

By Tinkytot on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 03:52 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Eh up,
Well, I picked mine up on Sunday, so I guess things are looking up.

I posted about 3 weeks ago and all your replys encouraged me to go ahead and adopt a Falco over my VTR 1000. I'm pleased to say the least. Only done 200 miles though. I'll post my thoughts after I've had a chance to learn her habits.
I have had to pick the bike up mid corner many times as you really had to pull the VTR over.

Anyway having a great time, engine's top notch. Just one thing - the bike has high level renegade cans and my insurance company will not insure me with these on.
What do the rest of you do?  

By Tinkytot on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 03:53 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

sorry, seems like you have a pleb on your hands here!  

By Richandall on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 05:06 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Robert, try changing your insurer!

Another fav. tyre is the Metzler Sportec M-1. I like it heaps more than the original fit Metzler Z3 & it's done extremely well in comparative testing. Probably more Falcos on BT010's though.

Aprilia recommends you avoid constant-speed straight-line riding when running in or you don't bed the components down properly - also don't let your dealer put in fully synthetic oil before 1st service (semi synthetic's OK) because it's too slippery, with the same results.

Btw the 600 mile service is 6 hours labour so get a deal fixed before you take delivery to avoid a nasty surprise.

Suggest you derestrict at first service. Some do it before delivery but if you're unused to the massive low speed torque of this engine you're better off getting to know it (and running in the tyres safely) before derestriction IMO.

- Rich  

By Gtfalco on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 10:18 am:  View Gtfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Gtfalco Edit this post

Hi Dean glad to hear of your purchase you will enjoy the Falco but it takes a little getting used to if you have not ridden a twin before as I found.Also i will be in northern spain at the same time as you,I sail on the 3rd sept Will be stopping first at a place called Ainsa for a couple of days at least it,s very close to the n260 rd which is supposed to be awsome.Maybe we could meet up if you fancy it get in touch if interested. 

By Tbone on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 10:37 am:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

Hi Dean!
check out my personal Falco logbook and other info I've posted on my Falco experience. My site may be a little overkill on reading but I put it there specifically for newcomers to the Falco as I too moved from i4 to this twin. It was certainly an experience I thought worth documenting a little.

www.geocities.com/duesseldorf/bike_1.htm

You've made a good choice. I've got over 30,000km on my 2000 SL1000 and I still love here (clutch, rear-suspension, oil drinking n'all)!

tbone  

By Durangokid on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 05:59 pm:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

I just took delivery of my spankin' new Falco on the 10th. I am strictly obeying the 6000-rpm limit. This requires an incredible amount of self-control. I have ridden a Falco without this restriction and the motor just begins to get juicy above 6k. I had the bike de-restricted at delivery and had the RSC Carbons installed. Normally I would leave the stock pipes on as I prefer to ride in stealth mode to avoid unwanted attention. However, the sound of the carbon pipes caused me to ignore my better judgement. I am quickly approaching the 600-mile service mark and have scheduled the service for the 24th. The bike handles beautifully. I have already scrubbed the tits off the edge of the rear tire. I love this bike and cannot wait for the first track day!  

By Dean0612 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 02:08 am:  View Dean0612's Profile Search for other posts by Dean0612 Edit this post

Thanks for the welcome! Just got to wait for this weekend to go and I can finally go out to play on my new toy - what's the betting that it will hammer down with rain all next week?

Gary, I've sent you a separate email regarding the Spain trip. Hope to meet up at some point and I've explained more there.

On the subject of servicing, I was happy to find the various recommendations for Harry Nash, mainly because the workshop is just down the road from my office in Chiswick. However, as I want to fit the first service in before the trip (not included in bike purchase price ) the only date I could get from Harry's was Wednesday. Luckily, my parents live about 150 miles away so it's two days of commuting from their house along a windy 'A' road to get that mileage in before the service.

Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for throwovers? I've considered getting the Aprilia bags but would also like to look at the alternatives. Would something like an Oxford set be suitable or does the shape of the tail preclude their use?

Cheers again,
Dean 

By Falcofra on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 06:48 am:  View Falcofra's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofra Edit this post

Hi Dean,
Just done the Northern Spain, Andorra and back through France trip on a Falco myself. Posted a short report called '2000 Miles in 2 weeks with 2 punctures', check it out.
I used the aprilia sports paniers which which latch onto fixed frames on the bike, these came free with my bike and they are really good. They stay on at 140 m.p.h.!!!!
Whatch out for fuel tank range when in Spain, I nearly ran out twice, garages are few and far between. Test your range from low fuel light to empty, mine is only 22 miles! Also watch the oil level, most aprilia twins use oil especially during the first 5000 miles until run in fully, this is normal so don't worry!
Hope this helps, and finally, have fun, the Falco is the best bike I've ridden for putting a grin on my face.
Fraser.  

By Prilliant on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 11:54 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

The Oxford throw-overs will fit fine. I took a set to Spain and back in June. As with the Aprilia bags, they were fine up to 140 mph. Cant comment on the Aprilia bags quality cos Ive never seen 'em. The Oxfords feel really tough.  

By Crmc33 on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 12:04 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Top tip Nr54436:
It might be worth putting some duct tape or clear polyurethane over the sidepanels to stop the throw overs wearing the paintwork. 

By Prilliant on Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 08:46 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Or buy some rubber webbing. But buy it in Halfords (they sell it for lining the drawers in tool chests).
It's cheaper than the Oxford / Motrax equivalent and you get more of it.
Protects yer paint and lifts off the bike at the end of the journey, unlike duct tape.  

By Cecilthecat on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:45 pm:  View Cecilthecat's Profile Search for other posts by Cecilthecat Edit this post

Dean

I'm also going to Spain, Andorra. France, we leave on the 7th Sept and ride down through France, back 2 weeks later, so if you see a big lad on a Yellow Y reg Mille R then thats me.

Simon  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation