Riding Techniques

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Riding Techniques
By Adrian on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:02 pm:  View Adrian's Profile Search for other posts by Adrian Edit this post

Got a few riding questions. The Falco is my first motorcycle so any help is much appreciated. In general, do most folks use one or two fingers for braking? Are people using 1, 2, or all four fingers for the clutch? How do you shift up with out using the clutch? And is it bad for your bike? (I heard some talk about this a while back).

Thanks for the help.

Richandall, am I right in assuming that the Falco is your first bike too by your '3560 miles under your belt' comment? And you are doing speed tests of your bike? If so, I had better get with it, I haven't even derestricted my bike yet.  

By Rsvdave on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 12:12 am:  View Rsvdave's Profile Search for other posts by Rsvdave Edit this post

Adrian,

Derestrict your bike - you know it makes sense

I use two fingers for the clutch. A slight dip is all it needs. I also use two fingers for the brake. An inexperienced handful could get you in a heap of trouble VERY quickly...

Clutchless upshifts are supposedly OK for your bike. You just accelerate briskly, push up on the gear lever and do a slight "roll on-roll off" of the throttle. If you get it right, the bike slips into gear.

I've been trying to learn clutchless upshifts for a bit but I've gone back to using the clutch. Getting it wrong while out accelerating a Porsche is not a nice experience

RSV Dave 

By Hansie on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 01:41 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Welcome Adrian!
First derestrict , easier driving at low rpm!

I use 2 fingers for braking , with the other 2 I still have a grip on the clippon.More control that way over youre Falco.BUT! the Falco clutch is quite heavy so I use all 4 fingers to have more fealing at the gripmoment ; 2 is prefereble see above. The Falco clutch (and Mille?) is not very easy to control , esspecialy when youre "trafficlightracing". Just practice!

Hansie  

By Mr_Venjer on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:37 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

You falco peeps must be Arnold Schwarzeneger in disguise. 2 finger clutch action ? If I tried that on my RSVR I would snap the tendons in my hand.

I may regret saying this but ....Maybe its the "detuned" state of the Falco engine ........

tee hee

Mr V

Come on Beffy, bite dammit !! 

By Befbever on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:37 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

2 fingers on the brake, 2 or 3 on the clutch lever and 2 fingers up my nose. That leaves plenty of fingers if I have to scratch myself.

Welcome, Adrian! Just ride and practice.

By Befbever on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 05:51 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hey, Mr_Venjer,
was posting myself so I missed yours.

One finger clutch action is no problem for me but I use two for better feel.

As for the "detuned" state of the Falco engine: an RSV-R has the modified and lighter clutch!

doesn't make it go any faster tho... 

By Twowheels78 on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:19 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

I use three fingers for the brake. Actually the last three fingers, I keep my index finger and thumb around the clip-on. I know it's weird I've been told that before but it works for me. As for the clutch I use all four fingers when at a stop light, it gets tiring trying to hold it with two. If the light is a long one I'll actually put it in neutral. But for upshifts I just lightly brush the clutch with two fingers.

As for traffic light racing, Hansie is right, just practice. When I first got the Falco I couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground. I've actually gotten pretty good at it though. I was playing with a couple of other riders the other night, 2 Superhawks (both highly modified) and a TL1000R. Three lights in a row and the only one that could match me was the TL1000R, and that came down to who got the better launch. Prior to that night nobody at the local hangout really paid much attention to the bike ("ah, it's just a sport tourer!"), after that they couldn't get enough

Hey, I wonder if they still think it's a sport tourer 

By Prilliant on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 07:47 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Strangely enough I do that too. Index finger and thumb on the grip, the other fingers on the brake lever. I find it helps with giving the throttle a blip on down-changes. But who cares about brakes anyway. The buggers only slow you down 

By Befbever on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 11:19 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Okay so you're both odd.  

By Crmc33 on Monday, August 12, 2002 - 11:55 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

2 fingers on the brake, the rest on the clutch all the time! (irreversible two stroke disease) 

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 06:56 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Gee, thanks Bef

Yeah..yeah..well....at least I don't dip my french fries (or is that chips?) in mayonaise Now that's odd 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 07:02 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

youre all odd! Crazy the lot of ya!

except me of course 

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 07:12 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Crmc33,

Riiiiiiiight!

Four fingers on the clutch, downshifts only...and my first two fingers on the brake lever...mostly the middle finger. I ride with my fingers resting on the brake lever when in traffic...well, most of the time!

BTW, who would dip their fries in MAYO??? 

By Befbever on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 09:58 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Philistines!

I tend to keep my left middle finger at the ready for greeting Harley riders.

What?
That's how they greet me.

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:17 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

I wondered how long that would take

Surprisingly most of the Harley riders are quite civil around here. Of course you have a few of them who seem to think they are better then you, I guess ignorance really is bliss! I make a point of waving to every motorcyclist I see and most of them wave back, Harley and sportbike alike. I've actually had quite a few of them ask me about the Falco. A couple of Harley riders stopped by the local sportbike hangout the other night and invited all of us to a bike and bikini wash. Bikes and bikinis what could be better Well ok, bikes and no bikinis would be better 

By Befbever on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:29 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Things in Europe are a bit different I fear. A friend of mine works on Harley's a lot. They bring in money for him so what the hey.
He once asked me if I knew why their riders always look so cranky.

Because they're wondering what part will fall off next!

And have you seen them when they go for a ride-out? A couple of vans follow the convoy to collect the ones that break down!

But seriously, you shouldn't knock a Harley without having ridden one.

I have! They suck!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation