Anyone know the break-in procedure for a new clutch?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Anyone know the break-in procedure for a new clutch?
By Paul on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 10:52 pm:  View Paul's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Edit this post

Just replaced the whole lot of frictions and steels (the steels were blued and warped to hell), I guess I should take it easy for a bit to bed them in - anyone know how long for?  

By Benw on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:14 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Did you soak them in oil before putting them into the bike...?  

By Paul on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:42 pm:  View Paul's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Edit this post

Yeah, they were well soaked beforehand. I followed the procedure on Kens site, it mentions breaking the new bits in but doesn't say how long for or what to do.  

By Benw on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:53 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Just ride it and try not to slip the clutch too much for the first 100 miles. Other than that have fun!

B 

By Tbone on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 05:53 am:  View Tbone's Profile Search for other posts by Tbone Edit this post

I replaced frictions only (my steels were in real good shape) in March. I dunked them in oil before fishing them back into clutch basket.
I rode pretty easy for about 300km to let them bed in with steels. I just didn't gun into high revs for that period.
My idea is that like brake pads the material can galvanize fairly quickly which means you'll basically have rock sliding on steel in no time. This BTW is what happened to my original frictions in the first place. I was amazed how how little my original frictions were worn when I got them out -- but they were definately hard has rock.
tbone  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation