Travel to-from Europe

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Travel to-from Europe
By Andyjfalco on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 04:57 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Anyone gone over to France and come back from Spain on the ferries? I'm after a bit of info regarding costs and availability, ie when to book. Cheers maties.  

By Daz on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 12:47 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

BrianR is your man!

He's wrote an article on his trip to Spain - it's on my twowheelsracing.co.uk/falco/ site.

Daz  

By Brianr on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 02:01 am:  View Brianr's Profile Search for other posts by Brianr Edit this post

Yup . done it a few times now. Portsmouth to Bilboa knobbed around Spain and France then back to La have. The journey out is about 32 hours back about 6. My advice is to get a first class cabin to crash, avoid the roulette wheels (I lost all my spending money). On the way back (should be knackerd from the ride) get a first class cabin again and sleep.

You can book at the door always room for a bike (but the cabins will be in short supply) I would book as far in advance as possible and always ask for a publication discount (ride, Bike etc saved us 30% I think) There and back was about £90 inclusive.

The ferry is the worst part of the journey, when you get your bike on them hot fantastic European roads you may not want to come back
Enjoy!
BrianR 

By Rca on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 07:32 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

BilBoa sounds like a nick name for William the Snake.  

By Andyjfalco on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:47 am:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Thanks for that guys. I did phone P&O ferries in Portsmouth and asked about this. I was looking to go to Cherbourg and back from Bilbo baggins £285 per person!!! I think they are taking the p*ss, what do you think? BrianR, who did you go with? For anyone who hasn't been, France is the best place EVER for riding, inc the Isle of Man.  

By Gtfalco on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:00 am:  View Gtfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Gtfalco Edit this post

Hi Andy I am going to spain from Portsmouth to Bilbao return two adults and two bikes In Sept cost me £518 in total which includes inside two bed cabin there and back.Can,t comment on the trip yet as I don,t go until 3rd sept,hope this helps.  

By Andyjfalco on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 12:11 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

Thanks for that guys.BrianR, who did you go with? I asked at P&O Portsmouth and they quoted £280ish per person! I'm hoping to go Cherbourg-Bilbo baggins as the sleep coming home will be welcomed For you who've never been, GO TO FRANCE! The roads arektops + someone has removed the cops(or so it seems) Flat out for 10 miles, why not make it 20 or 30 or....... 

By Prilliant on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 01:19 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Yep. Couldn't agree more. Had my first taste of French roads (on 2 wheels) in June. Awesome!!!
100 miles of autoroute in 51 minutes. Needless to say we're going back next year.

If you've never done it you owe it to yourself. Unless of course you live in the US. Reckon the ferry journey might take a while.

Incidentally, we didn't find the spanish roads to be as good and the drivers were less courteous. Still better than the UK mind!  

By Brianr on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 02:05 am:  View Brianr's Profile Search for other posts by Brianr Edit this post

Hi
I went with P and O ferries Portsmouth Bilboa, La halve Portsmouth Three of us went with three bikes Cabin out no cabin back (although we bought one on the ferry home). Total was about £98 each. You have to remember we went in March, which in my view is the best time. Quiet roads, hot in the south and snow in the mountains. We did have the Ride or MCN discount.

BrianR  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 02:15 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

For the ferries it is generally cheaper to book well in advance. P&O boats are tubs and the food is crap from my experience. Also Cherbourg is a bad place to get to as the 100 miles into France is single roads and all the frieght trucks use it so heavy going. Le Havre, St Malo or Caen are my preferences for French ports. You can use Brittany Ferries (www.brittany-ferries.com) for al least one half of the crossing, then use P&O for the Spain return. Fares in August are 3-4 times the off season fares. Better to wait until 2nd week of Sept (Schools back) and the prices drop considerably. Brittany also offer a fast craft sailing from Portsmouth but I don't know if bikes are allowed on.

HTH

Rich  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 02:36 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I have a friend who did 260kms (163miles) in one hour down the local motorway. All within the law as well!

It wasnt on a Falco (twas a Busa) I might add, but it did include a fuel stop

nuuuutaaahh 

By Andyjfalco on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 12:04 pm:  View Andyjfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Andyjfalco Edit this post

WEEEEEEEEEE! Now thats what I'm talking about. It would be two stops on the Falco at that speed.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation