Snatchy....

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Snatchy....
By Twowheels78 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 09:59 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

That's not what I meant I was referring to the brakes being snatchy I've read in several magazine reviews that the previous generation of Brembo brakes (I'm assuming this is what we have) have a tendancy to be snatchy. I'd never noticed it before, but lately it seems to be getting worse. With light lever pressure the brakes seem to grab and release repeatedly. However under hard braking they are simply awesome! I don't think it's warped rotors as I can't feel any pulsing in the lever. Does everyone's brakes do this? Is it normal? By the way I've got braided steel lines and EBC's, if that makes a difference. I seem to recall someone saying that the EBC's have a short life, How long do they last? Could that be part of the problem? 

By Crmc33 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:11 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

do you mean that your brakes are sticking on?
Bef had this due to sticking brake caliper pistons but Ive had no such problem with my bike, mainly cos its done less miles.  

By Litre1 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:47 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Mine does something like that. I haven't diagnosed the problem, because frankly, it doesn't bother me. When I have the clutch in at low speed (10-15 mph), and lightly pull the brake lever, I get a pulsing feel like the rotors are warped, but very slightly. I can actually hear a vibration tone on and off coming from the rotors. Like you say, there is no pulsing in the brake lever. Mine is all stock and has not been bled, apart, etc. (only 3000 miles).

No problem when fully braking, or at full speed.  

By Rca on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:55 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

What you describe is exactly what I get on my 2000 RSVR. I've had the thing on a rolling road (one of those things they use at MOT testing centres to check braking efficency) and you can see the brake force altering quite significantly, at a fixed lever pressure, as the wheel slowly turns. The rotors have been dial indicated and show 0.2 mm of runout (0.4mm is the limit according to the Aprilia Workshop manual). The brakes are completely stock and still with original pads after 12000 miles.  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:18 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Thanks for the respones guys! I guess I'm not the only one. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something to do with my setup, i.e. pads or brake lines. Or rotors that are starting to warp If it does get worse and the lever starts pulsing then I know it's the rotors and hopefully I can get them replaced under warranty. Any US riders have experience with warranty claims? But for the time being it's not that big of a deal. I can live with it and like I said the brakes are awesome under hard braking 

By Oldgit on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:03 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Twowheels78, I have had the problem, put a dial gauge on the disc, ok, changed the pads a little better, gave the disc buttons a tap with a hammer (cleans the dirt out,and allows them to move, don't hit them hard!) No more snatch.  

By Twowheels78 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:15 pm:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Old Git,

Thanks! I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference. Paul said something similar in the Clutch Problems and Braking Woes thread. Although he said it actually helps with warped rotors.  

By Crmc33 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:23 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

....give the disks a good spray of WD40 and then grease the mounting bobbins. You wont ever have a problem again (or brakes) 

By Paul on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 03:22 am:  View Paul's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Edit this post

Hi Twowheels,

What you describe sounds exactly like the problems I was having. I think the discs can't float because of the dirt and sort of temporarily warp when they get hot - I noticed that it got worse towards the end of a long journey but often when I first set off it was fine. I was guessing that it was warping , maybe it was just because the discs sat at a funny angle on the buttons and couldn't centralise???

Crmc - funny you should say that, I was wondering if taking the discs apart and putting a smear of copper grease on the buttons occcaisionally would help prevent it. Would that be a silly thing to do?  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 03:31 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Greasing the bobbins would be silly cos the grease would fly outwards due to centrifugal force, onto the brake rotors..... with obvious results

However, a nice coating of graphited dry film lubricant on the bobbins would probably help a bit. It would still run the risk of getting graphite dust on the rotors, which isnt nice.

A better solution is to fit looser bobbins so that the rotors move more easily. You must be prepared to replace them more often tho as the bobbins will eventually fret and wear out...which leads to you being overtaken by your own brake rotors on the motorway. This also isnt nice (apparently) 

By Twowheels78 on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 06:15 am:  View Twowheels78's Profile Search for other posts by Twowheels78 Edit this post

Old Git, Thanks! That did seem to help, they are still a little snatchy but not as bad as before. I'm thinking of taking the brakes apart and giving them a good cleaning. Are they hard to take apart? There are just little clips on the back of the buttons and then they should come out and the rotors should come off. Right?  

By Oldgit on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 11:15 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Twowheels78, I don't think you can do that, after market disc's come with clips, stealth etc, but not usaly on original equipment. I think it's been said before on this sight by Crm, and others the problem seems to be that brambo have made the disc's with tight fitting roter to disc buttons, mine where a lot better after I carefully loosened them up.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation