Message for Prilliant

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Message for Prilliant
By Andylav on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 03:47 am:  View Andylav's Profile Search for other posts by Andylav Edit this post

Prilliant,
noticed from one of your recent posts that you may be Belfast based. I am too and am considering a change from my current Hornet 600 to a Falco if I can get a flat bar conversion (two broken wrists, collarbone and whiplash injuries mean clip ons, even high ones, cripple me). So far, not a hugh amount of success. EVEN RARER IS A USED MODEL!
Anyway, did you buy in NI? If so, from which Dealer and what have your opinions been on aftersales, servicing, warranty, negotiation, etc. I ask because I'm not a hugh fan of McWilliams' place (personal issue with a member of his staff) and whilst impressed with McCallums, it is in Lurgan and a bit of a ride/drive for any suppport issues.
Be grateful for your views and any advice.
Andy

PS - I've only seen about two Falcos over here, both red, one with carbon race pipes. What do you have and what mods?  

By Ronnie on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 05:03 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Hi Andy
I live in Bangor and also have a red Falco (brand new 2000 model) which I got from Jeremy McWilliams. He is a pratt,no question. Service is hopeless but I dont really care.Only have 1200 miles on mine and it goes like stink.
I am running Falco Fighter carbons on mine.
Jeremy has a 2001 Red Falco for sale (the owner now has a Mille) with carbons,bellypan etc. £4900.00
Check it out!
Ronnie

By Andylav on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:51 am:  View Andylav's Profile Search for other posts by Andylav Edit this post

Cheers Ronnie,
I'll force myself through the doors to check it out. I wouldn't bite off my nose to spite my face if it was a good deal. Where did you get the fighter cans? The reason I ask is that the Fighter kit includes a flatbar conversion but I can't seem to find anyone who can confirm if it is available separately or purely as part of the "front" kit which comprises bars, mirrors, mini headlight fairing and rad cowls for around £600.
Whilst I like it, just the bars would do for now if I can get a bargain!
Andy  

By Prilliant on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 09:46 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Hi Andy. Good to hear from you. I'll be at Bangor sea front tonight (Thursday). I acually got my bike from Hursts after being messed about by Scottys Scooters in Bangor. My experiences with McWilliams place aren't that great. Even basic servicing items are rarely in stock. When I went in looking for an air filter they had a quick look on the floor (yeah, great place to keep stock!) before telling me they didn't have one in.

So far McCallen seems to be a good way ahead of everyone else in this country. I know he's a fair distance away but if he's going to do a good job then I for one will make the journey.

By the way, if the bike Ronnie is talking about in Race Base is the one i think it is it'll be well worth a look. It used to belong to a Guy called Uel McCormick. It was a beauty, SL Carbon cans, chip, bellypan and great condition. There are bar risers available from the states, I think Two Brothers make them. Maybe some of the American users of this site can put you in touch with a supplier.

The main thing is that the falco is a cracking bike. It'll do everything well and seems to be pretty well put together.

Keep in touch, Neil.  

By Prilliant on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 09:48 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

P.S. Andy, if you want to get in touch I'm in Newtownards. Telephone 028 9181 4045. Feel free to give me a call.

Neil  

By Andylav on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 12:26 am:  View Andylav's Profile Search for other posts by Andylav Edit this post

Neil,
Thanks for getting back to me- didn't realise Hurst's could do Aprilia but I'd prefer a year old one if poss, just to bring the cost down a little. Will have a look at the one in McWill's, even though I would really prefer a Black or Blue one (I'm just getting picky now). McCallum has said he can try and source me a used one from his UK contacts but I'm weighing up options at the moment. One of those is the cheaper version of the Tuono which is supposed to be coming out next year but I need a ride on a Falco first.
Up to my eyes in fencing my garden at the moment (I'm in Dundonald) and going to Kirkistown on Sunday (my brother's doing his first track day (I'll be watching and taking photos!) but I'd like to give you a call and catch up - possibly next week.
Cheers
Andy

PS - Ronnie, didn't get your message until this morning (Friday), otherwise I'd have taken a run over Craigantlet to see you at the seafront.

Hope to catch up with both of you soon.  

By Andylav on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 01:01 am:  View Andylav's Profile Search for other posts by Andylav Edit this post

Neil,
Just realised it was you and not Ronnie who was going to be in Bangor last night. I had a few beers and it's early!
Another thought - did the guy who bought the Mille, Uel, purchase in February or so?. I remeber having a word with the Aussie guy from McWill's place at the Odyssey show about Falcos and he talked about a red one coming in to the shop at that time. If it's the same one, it obviously hasn't sold very quickly so I might be in a good bargaining position. Like I said, will go have a look, get a ride (to get an impression of big V twin power - as I've only ridden in line fours up to now) and enquire further about bar conversions.
McCallum had Gilles adjustable riser clip ons in the shop but they were £260. Even with those, I think I'd still get grief as even my mates VFR kills me, and they're high clip ons.
Talk to you soon
Andy  

By Prilliant on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 04:11 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Hi Andy. First thing is my bike was second hand out of Hursts. They don't actually sell new Aprilias. Had a look at the Falco in Race base this morning. It is the one I thought. In addition to the above it also has a Mille shock fitted. Oh' and a steering damper. The ticket says £4700 but there has to be at least a couple of hundred to play with there. If you want to try before you buy you're welcome to take mine for a spin. I think you'll like it. Nearly anyone who's ridden it seems to want to buy one.

I think it was probably February or March when Uel bought the Mille. His Falco wasn't in the shop a few weeks ago. I went in to get a new chain and sprocket kit after mine finally gave up coming home from Barcelona. Maybe it's been in the workshop or something. It's certainly worth a look. There must be at least £1000 worth of kit on it.

Neil  

By Litre1 on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 04:26 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Andy-

Two Brothers makes the adjustable risers, not the single streetfighter (cruiser style) bar that you are referring to. You can check it out here.

http://www.twobros.com/TBR_Website_NEW/Products/Handlebars/V3_Riser_HB.html 

By Ronnie on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 06:37 am:  View Ronnie's Profile Search for other posts by Ronnie Edit this post

Hi Andy
The Falco in Spacebase (ex Uel) is pretty tasty.It is also 1999 so you could prob make him move on the price.
Not 2 sure what else you would need to do if you fit higher bars, i.e. brakelines,throttle cables etc...
My last post hasnt gone thru so I will type my contact details again.
Home 02891 465616 Mob 07802 568282

Ronnie  

By Prilliant on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:18 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Andy, Been having a look at my own bars and reckon there isn't a huge amount of scope for higher bars. They look like they might foul the top fairing at full lock. I can't say for sure but you'd need to check it out.  

By Befbever on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:26 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Allow me to bud in, gentlemen.
Check this link for the Gilles bar risers. A far better product than the TwoBros one, IMHO.

Btw, I learned to live with the stock bars in the end. After two and a half years and 24k miles.  

By Prilliant on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 11:42 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

Cheers Bef. As always a gentleman And a scholar. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation