More clutch prattle

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: More clutch prattle
By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:55 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I read a while back that the Falco and early RSVMille clutches have a 2degree angle on the pressure plate surface. Later designs are supposed to have a zero degree angle on the face.

Simple question: Has anyone tried machining the angle to 0degrees on an early clutch to help prevent clutch slip???
.... Shirley this would also give more support to the steel plates as it would load them up more consistently.

Any takers on this almost interesting subject? 

By Spoof on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:09 pm:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

While in the San Francisco area for Laguna Seca World Supers, I ran into the head honcho Aprilia Team at the Leading U.S. Aprilia Dealer, Scuderia West.

I was eavesdropping a bit on their conversation with Scuderia's head tech, and I could have sworn that he was saying that the Aprilia clutches used NOT a "throw-out bearing" but some *other* kind of bearing that wasn't really designed for the lateral movement required in a clutch mechanism and that was why Aprilia clutches were failing.

Could this be?

Sorry to toss another log on the fire, Crmc33 

By Befbever on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:26 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Very very interesting if this is true!
Would this explain why we discovered some play in the clutch bearing? My mate says that's not normal. The dealer thinks nothing of it. 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:35 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

The main gearbox bearing used behind the clutch looks the same as most engines Ive seen tho. There shouldny be a lot of axial thrust on it anyway. Or is there another bearing youre thinking about?
Of course, I dont mind a bit of axial thrust now n again 

By Befbever on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:39 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

That's the one. 

By Spoof on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:47 am:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

I would assume that's the one. Maybe I'll put a call into Scuderia and see if the tech there won't mind talking to me.

As is usually the case with eavesdropping, I've probably misinterpreted everything. But the tech was speaking quite slowly and clearly for the benefit of the tall Italian who seemed to be "The Man"

They were quite nice by the way, the Aprilia folks. I chatted with one of them and he assured me that they would remain committed to the Falco and they were curious to know why I preferred the Falco over the Mille or, say, a Speed Triple. Very friendly.  

By Befbever on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:00 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Is a tall Italian as rare as a quiet Portuguese?

I think we should be told.

By Crmc33 on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Dont start!
I can see it all happening again. In a minute someone will mention Mayo and chips and then nobody will get a word in edgeways 

By Befbever on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 07:11 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Don't mention the 'M' word, I'm on a diet.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation