Am I really gonna get one?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: Am I really gonna get one?
By Tinkytot on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:24 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Hello folks,
I've had a VTR 1000 for ages and think it's ace, but it looks kinda shit and I need change.

So it would seem I will be getting a Falco soon. I'm happy it would suit me apart from one thing: a guy on the MCN website posted that the exhausts hinder the ground clearence of the Falco!
Has anyone else found this and if so, is there a fix? I'm thinking stiffen the sussy's, different pipes etc.

The VTR has seen some trackdays this year and the footpegs are gradually wearing away.
I really dont want this to happen on my new bike, it scares me.

Can the Falco keep up with the 998's R1's etc on a trackday? I don't really notice these guy's getting away from me easily on the straights on my VTR and would be gutted if I found this on the Falco.

Will also be used all year round as only transport. Seems like many of you do this with no probs. I'm getting all excited.

Ohh - best place for insurance would be a nice little tip also.

Thanks.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:39 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Go for it Tinkytot.

The Falco is faster than the VTR by a long margin even if the VTR has nice bottom end torque. The Falco will also give a std SP1 a hard time (Ive left one in a straight line before)

The falco also has a harder edge feel to it in comparison and is much more capable in the right hands.

The Rotax is a good engine, the clutch can be a little weak on some bikes (depending on the oil used it seems).

On the track, it will keep with most other bikes and you will need to be seriously pushing hard to deck the pipes. The best option is to fit an aftermarket or RSV shock and in turn increase the ground clearance and further improve handling all in one go.

Get a parallel import as cheap as possible or get a official bike with a very good dealer that you know well and you trust for aftersales service.

All of the above is MHO.

Insurance? Cant help you there...we dont have such things in Euroland

HTH 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:50 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

The Falco will definitely keep with any bike you want it to keep with on the track or road. Except in a long straight line when a Gizzer 1K will blitz most anything!

The Falco will punch out of the corners quicker allowing you to keep some of that lead you picked up in the bends.

The standard cans are limited in their ground clearance on the track but you need to be going pretty quick to scuff them - fit some aftermarket oval cans and you won't have a problem. The pegs are the next things to deck out. Increase the ride height by using an aftermarket shock - try the usual suspects or like CFRRMMCCRC666 said, get a used Mille shock for a couple of squid.

The Falco is much harder edged than the VTR which is a bit soft and squiffy (sort of like pudgey...).

I've got 20,030 miles on my SL and she's doing fine. Get rid of the standard MEZ3 tyres and try Bridgestone 012SS (super sticky), 010 (sticky), 020 (stickyish when warm) or the Metzeler Sportec M1s. They're all a great improvement over the standard stuff - Don't listen to CRMMRRCCCMMRRFC666 when he blathers on about the MEZ3s being super cool and great (it's a case of "disco baby, disco baby, hot!" with him...)

Let us know how you get on.

B 

By Diablo_Mille_R on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:54 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

Just a point, but about 12 or 15 of us from this site did a Rockingham track day on a mixture of RSV, RSVR and Falcos. In the fast group, including all the boys on race prep'd R1's and stuff the two quickest bikes were......Falco's. Both ridden by blokes of this site, one a std road bike on slicks and one on road tyres but an RSV rear shock. I think both had aftermarket pipes. You may find the footpegs touch down but you can fit rearsets or I think fireblade pegs fit. Anyway, most people run out of talent before the Flaco runs out of speed I would think, it's been proved they are quick on track.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:16 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Fireplace pegs do fit, but they wear just as fast when you scrape 'em in the corners.  

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 01:04 pm:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

To second what Rich and Benw said, a Falco in the hands of a decent riders is more than a match for race reps. I should know too .... I got a can of arse whipping from Dave on his Falco. Where are you by the way Dave ?

Kevin  

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:37 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

The falco can be all the bike everyone mentioned above. In the right hands, it will be an absolutely honest performer, and will run rings around quite a lot of "superior" bikes out there. It really is a wolf in sheeps clothing. and it is after all a "Supa Legerra" or "Light Sports". Next time out on the track i'm packing the panniers, as I put a lot of riders to shame on the bike.

Having been a twin rider for some 23 years (Ex Ducati rider although i do still own an NCR replica) and having ridden other exaples of manufacturers through the usual friends swap on a known scratcher road, from MV750's, to old 900ss Ducati's, SP1, ST4, Susuki 750/4 (2000 Model),ZX9 etc, you won't be unhappy.

A few simple mods can be found to make this an even better bike, depending on funds, but from the cheapest up, here are the most popular.

Assuming no exhausts upgrade at this stage.

1) 15 tooth front sprocket (chain update not required) or 63 rear (chain update reqd) UK 30 approx

2) Airkit replacement (note IMHO if you do this one the right way you won't need the 15 tooth or 63 rear sprocket) UK 125.00

3) Exhausts and chip. UK 500 and up approx.

4) Rear shock absorber UK 100-500 depending on what you get from an rSV Mille Unit to after market brands such as Ohlins, Technoflex, WP, Penske et al....

JUst my 2 cents worth. If you buy, excellent. Get the best deal/dealer support that you can find, and then go and enjoy some fine ...........(insert favourite roads/ride), and get the run in kms done as quickly as you can.

I have noticed, that there have been a couple of "jumpers recently" (Daz to a Fazer) with relative low km models available secondhand. Might be worth a look, although I understand fully the thrill of rolling out from the dealership on your brand new bike, (and getting home - eh Daz ).

Good luck with the decision.

By Aviator� on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:42 pm:  View Aviator�'s Profile Search for other posts by Aviator� Edit this post

The falco is quicker on corner exit than I had thought, like mentioned it will pull hard out of corners and on short stretches keep up with the inline literbikes, I had a new 954 pull up on me mid corner, on exit he couldn't get around me
but it gets left behind by the 929's gixxer 1k's, R1's and 954's on long straights 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:55 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

definately true with a 63 rear sprocket ... youd be on the rev limiter in top at 50mph!(and probably on the back wheel at the time)

I think you mean a 43T rear sprocket dont you ExD? 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:02 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

ExDuckyNutty,

Are you sure you mean a 63T rear sprocket? 43 perchance...?

B 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:10 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

youre just ignoring me totally now arent you !
Dont blame you really 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:15 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

aarrgghh!

You hadn't posted that when I was replying!!! Beaten to the post! Or is that WITH a post???  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:25 pm:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

MrV,

I do believe that is a can of 'Whupass', as sold and used by those funny amercian 'wrestler' types in their sparkly spandex and steroid pumped muscles

Dave abviously got a can......

Where is he anyway, I miss the car/bike debates? 

By Tinkytot on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:18 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Mmm, looks good, I'm considering second hand so please let me know if one of you would like to get rid.

I get the impression from your posts that I would have a lot to learn in order to get these pegs down. Just the way I like it. This parts/ service problem is a concern but I wont break down or crash .

I'm in London, where is this website hosted - post times are a bit weird (USA maybe, you lot yankee's?).

I'm looking at getting one soon - I'll let you know. 

By Befbever on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:23 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I've been called many things, but never a Yankee.

UK-based site, matey!

Check out this site for further info. 

By Tinkytot on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:39 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

Oh,
Forgot to say about tyres, just a rant and a bit of showing off really.

Last week at Donnington I had came back from the first session to find a screw straight through the rear Bridgestone010- git. Had to get re-shoed but the nearest thing to a road tyre they had was a set of Dunlop 207RR's £175 fitted - not bad I thought.
I was amazed at the difference that it made to the bike. I did touch the pegs every now and then before, but once I got these baby's on it was every corner. Drive out of the corner was amazing as I could feel the rear starting to spin up, but it felt totally controllable. Braking was also completely confidence inspiring. This is really what made me realise I needed a new bike. Thank the lord for that screw.

Thanks for the info...  

By Benw on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 07:44 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

207RRs are great on the track - that's what they're designed for. Bit twitchy on the road for my liking.

B  

By Singlesman on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 02:09 pm:  View Singlesman's Profile Search for other posts by Singlesman Edit this post

Can we have less talk about spinning up rear tyres, it makes me feel inadequate, and that's my wifes job. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation