The curse of the leaking clutch slave cylinder stikes again!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: The curse of the leaking clutch slave cylinder stikes again!
By Scotty on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 03:50 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Just as I thought when I took it for the 14k service the clutch slave cylinder on the falco is leaking again. This time much more seriously than before. i.e. noticeable drops of hydralic fluid on the floor around the sidestand and the reseviour level dropping v quickly now to just above min.

I phoned the dealer and spoke to the mechanic who said that he did have a look at it, topped it up and bled it through. Him touching it seems to have made it much worse to be honest.
But he said that they had stocks of replacement cylinders in so I've booked it in for next weds for replacement again! He just said that as long as I keep the fluid level topped up the clutch will not fail, so I'm off to halfords for some DOT4 to keep under the pillion seat until next week.  

By Oldgit on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 07:17 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Hi Scotty, that's a pain, I assume it is the seals. Never heard of any cylinder leaking at such low milage before. There must be an explanation, faulty manufacture, or is it some other cause. I wonder if the contamination of the fluid is the answer or could it be because the cylinder get's all the muck from the chain? I would think Aprilia would simply change the seals, as it is a simple job, well if they put a new cylinder on under warranty that's good.

How are the crash repairs going? Paul. 

By Scotty on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 07:34 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Steve (the mechanic) at Harry Nash (the dealer) said that the slave cylinder has a basic design flaw in it.
He said that it just basically eats the seals, Aprilia have no spares for this so the only course of action is to fit a new slave cylinder.

It will be a warranty job again some 14months after the last one was fitted.

Crash repairs are progressing slowly since the bike can be ridden ok (leaking clutch fluid the exception here).
Rodmonty kindly sent me a replacement indicator which I must fit soon.
That just leave the upper and right hand fairing panels that need filling and repainting.

I am attempting to get the bike into a condition where it is ready for sale again... I simply have had enough of it now

How are things going with you Paul, yourself and the bike?? 

By Befbever on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 08:52 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Steve was right, Scotty. My Evo cylinder still works brilliantly tho.

Quote:

I simply have had enough of it now

Sorry to hear that, S. I still haven't and my anxiety is growing by the day knowing I'll have to replace it next year. Replace it with what?  

By Scotteq on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 11:24 am:  View Scotteq's Profile Search for other posts by Scotteq Edit this post

I second the vote for the Evoluzione slave cylinder - I installed one along with a braided steel line, and there's a VERY nice difference in effort.

Scott :)  

By Daz on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 02:08 pm:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

>Replace it with what?

How about a FP1?? ? Erm, what about a new Pan? That'd make Jorge jealous eh?! LOL!

Or if you really want to take it to the next level, get a ..............

Fazer 600!  

By Oldgit on Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 03:07 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Well I picked nice weather to be at home Simon, I have used the time to repair my upper fairing slightly worn down the left side, and also painted the lower panel looks ok. I have to decide how to repair three deep scratches in the tank now paint the complet tank or not? then the clutch lever handel bar etc.

Still can't belive I did this stupid, stupid thing

Seen the bone bender today, seriously depresed me

Daz,Simon, only one bike for London CCM on the pavement . 

By Scotty on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 02:55 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Woke up to a puddle of clutch fluid round the side stand this morning... still enough to ride the falco.. and I topped it to max yesterday.. looks like it'll be a daily topup till next weds.

Paul...Close Close.... KTM Duke II mate! Best of both worlds...Offroad/onroad!

145Kg 625cc Single with WP Suspension std set up for the road and tubeless cast wheels (like the falco) One half of the falco front braking system.
Damm good fun... and I'm probably going to get the dealer to derestrict it as well from new..

Test rode one as I said in another post the other week... you'd be suprised how much fun it is with only 50hp!  

By Oldgit on Friday, July 26, 2002 - 03:21 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Yep, had a go on one, like I said, get used to bolting things down at weekends, fixing oil leeks, I have had lot's of practice on BSA's etc, I still love singels \clipart (mad) bring back valve lifters and ignition advance levers.

My first real big bike BSA M21 600cc , the owner said when you can start it son it's your's. One week and a bruised leg latter, yes.  

By Scotty on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:42 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Well its gone in today to be fixed...

They were unsure if this is covered by the 2nd and 3rd year warranties... so they were calling to check Bloody better be!

More info later...

P.S. Dave's falco was in there I could tell it was his cos of the (rusty) iron disks, RSVR wheels, unseat rene's and rsv swingarm. Mechanic confirmed that it was his bike! 

By Charlie on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:02 am:  View Charlie's Profile Search for other posts by Charlie Edit this post

mine was  

By Scotty on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 09:48 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Well the Aprilia Dealer Warranty claim line seems to have been down today so the dealership couldn't confirm for themselves whether Aprilia would approve the Clutch Slave Cylinder as a warranty fix as a 2nd year item.

So I have had to pay the dealer for this job to be done in order for them to release the bike back to me to get me home

Aparently someone from the dealer will contact me once a reply has been received from Aprilia... the warranty line now diverts to Italy. I am told since Aprilia have now had to issue proper two year warranties they are being extra picky over approving things for old 2nd and 3rd year warranties (via the old 3rd party warranty company).

In short I am awaiting a call to tell me if my money will be refunded or not... but I will not get the cost of the brake fluid back as this is not honoured by Aprilia.

The warranty book is so badly written or translated it is very difficult to understand what the f*ck is and is not actually covered.

Charlie could you email me some details on where and when yours was done please. I may have to use this to hassle Aprilia if my claim is turned down.
Sort of thing I need are date of claim, age of bike, mileage (both at time of claim) and dealer who carried out the work. This would be much appreciated. 

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:23 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

If you don't mind me saying so, Scotty, your dealer could have a heart and not bill you for the fluid.
IMHO, he should be able to replace your slave cylinder immediately since Aprilia has to honour their 3-year warranty.

P.S. I don't have a warranty book. 

By Scotty on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:44 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Bef not quite as simple as that. As I said unless Aprilia themselves approve it as a warranty job, the dealer will not be refunded for their work. So they were unwilling to call it a warranty job without official authorization.

I had a long conversation about the so called 3 year warranty with them. They basically said that they have no comeback with Aprilia if they turn down a warranty claim - the reply comes back Yes or No.

Needless to say this again is re-enforcing my current negative thoughts with Aprilia ownership- lets call it driving the nails into the coffin.......

Without a warranty book how do you get any warranty work done?

If you had the book you would have the joys of (excert from 2nd/3rd year warranties)

Quote:

Parts Covered by the Warranty

Clutch
-Master Cylinder
-Pressure plates excluding friction plates,hydraulic lines and rebuilding (seal) kits.

Parts excluded which require routine replacement during servicing and maintenance

Brake Fluid

By Oldgit on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:51 am:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Scotty,If it turns out you have to pay, and I suspect you will, demand that they return the old cylinder, as it's your property. Then if you don't want it, send it to me.  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:01 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Interesting.
If there's something broken, I call my dealer who replaces it when/if he gets the part.
Now when I had the Evo cylinder installed, he was going to claim warranty on the OE one so I'd have a spare. But I forget about it when I'm there so I don't know if he ever received a new one. He does have an Evo for sale tho.

I had a chat with the importer's warranty person once about the clutch. And the guy didn't want to replace any clutch parts, reason: not covered. But now you tell me the steels are covered. I guess he didn't read the warranty book either.

As far as the clutch goes, it's totally understandible that they won't refund friction plates. Only trouble is, their dodgy clutch design is the reason the frictions wear.
I think the slave cylinder is another poorly designed item and it's costing them loads of customers. Maybe they think we're like Ducatisti who don't mind things breaking.

Well, we're not.  

By Prilliant on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:48 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

It's been said before but the standard of after sales attention from Aprilia and especially their franchised dealers is staggeringly shite!!

You don't really need to read between the lines of Scotty's posts to see that he is well pissed off. When will Aprilia realise that if they want to compete with the japanese they will have to get their act together? Maybe they don't realise that riding a bike is only a part of the whole ownership experience.

Triumph built themselves a superb reputation not because their bikes were any more reliable than the rest, but by sorting problems quickly and efficiently. Result? Customer loyalty.

Just a theory, but having spent a long time selling the majority of their bikes and scooters to younger riders, maybe aprilia don't think their customers care about good service. The downturn in aprilia sales since the change in Italian helmet laws is well documented. Methinks they could be in for a rude awakening when they realise that they are dealing with intelligent and reasonably well off adults instead of spotty teenagers.

If they treat us like shit then we'll vote with our feet and that way we'll all lose.

Sorry, rant over 

By Charlie on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 04:18 am:  View Charlie's Profile Search for other posts by Charlie Edit this post

On Yer Bike got me the part - fitted it myself in about 5 minutes (shock, horror - rare occasion when it was simpler than I thought - unlike the wheel bearings...........)

I don't know how they do it, but they just okay the claim over the phone from what i can tell. I believe they enter details on the web and it is cleared straightaway............. Brands Hatch Performance frigged around for about 3 weeks trying to work out how to do a claim, so i gave up with them  

By Scotty on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 06:45 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Prilliant good post!!... you got it baby! I is fuming with em (kinda at least)!

Just an update....

Well two weeks have gone by and I still have no official answer from Aprilia about if the work is officially warranty or not.
Dealer have had NO feedback from Aprilia whatso ever... They say it can take up to a month for a reply and also most of Italy are probably on holiday as well.

So I am still out of pocket for just over £100 for something that should have been replaced for free...

Oh BTW... aparently there are some people on this site who are perfectly happy with their Aprilia experience so much so that they have just bought another one.. please see "She's Gone" thread if you haven't already. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation