GP Shifting

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: GP Shifting
By Oab97 on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:33 am:  View Oab97's Profile Search for other posts by Oab97 Edit this post

Has anybody converted their Falco for GP shifting? On some bikes you can simply flip the control arm over, but on the Falco the frame and sprocket cover get in the way. Anybody got any ideas?  

By Crmc33 on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:40 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Befbever has done this ...

here

By Oab97 on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:55 am:  View Oab97's Profile Search for other posts by Oab97 Edit this post

Crmc, Thanks for the link. Maybe Bef will chime in here and give me some advice. He's got the linkage flipped over 180 degrees but he had to do something other than just take it off and turn it around. There's far too much interference to get away with that.  

By Singlesman on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 11:12 am:  View Singlesman's Profile Search for other posts by Singlesman Edit this post

Oab97, try a Mille gear lever and do away with the Falco linkage for a much more positive shift and a one up five down shift pattern.
Cheers, Paul.  

By Crmc33 on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:45 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

IMO Singlesman is right, if you want the opposite shift you may as well do away with the linkage and get a more direct lever action.
I'll stick with my conventional road shift tho until Aprilia move it to the right hand side. 

By Befbever on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 07:13 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ahem. Yeah, to my recollection we turned the ball around and took a dremel to the footrest plate so the rod could pass. Works like a charm, but Singlesman's got the much simpler and smarter solution.

As I said before, I suggested putting on a Mille lever to my dealer at the time but he convinced me of the opposite. And besides, why make it easy if you can make it hard?  

By Richandall on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 09:05 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Any1 breaking a mille with an unbroken shifter? I'm in the market 412.

Btw I see the site's beginning to come alive.
I'll go back to sleep now (yaawnn)

By Mental_Trev on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 09:56 am:  View Mental_Trev's Profile Search for other posts by Mental_Trev Edit this post

Hey!

I know I've not been around much lately but is that any excuse for you guys fogetting about me?!

I've done it the Bef way, too (although I still hanker after the Mille direct action option), having seen what he'd done... didn't have any need for a dremel anywhere, though - admittedly, the clearance was pretty tight but I got it setup & working just fine. 

By Befbever on Saturday, July 27, 2002 - 11:42 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hi Trev!

Not forgotten about you, no way. I guess we just assumed you were busy racking up those race victories.

I should have pattented my linkage mod. Grrrrrr. 

By Oreo_N2 on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 02:56 pm:  View Oreo_N2's Profile Search for other posts by Oreo_N2 Edit this post

update, ...
i stopped by the dealer today to get an oil filter and he happened to have a Mille shifter pedal and all the fixins to get it on the falco... $45 bucks with the rubber and bolts and bits and i now have a gp shifting falco.

Yea Me!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation