How Much !!!!!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: How Much !!!!!
By Smartshark on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 06:55 am:  View Smartshark's Profile Search for other posts by Smartshark Edit this post

I have a couple of minor scratches on the offside middle fairing panel (just above the mat black panel) on my red 2000 Falco.

As I (hope) am getting a new top fairing under warranty due to some stress fractures I thought I would get a new side panel so it is 100% again.

Thought I was being quoted for the full fairing at first £285 for a 8*10 piece of plastic.

Who is having a joke at who's expense.

Live with the scratches.

Paul  

By Daz on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 06:57 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Fack me! It costs less than that for the whole front fairing of fazer 600!

http://www.rsbikepaint.co.uk/

can sort you out with some touch up paint for less than 20 quid... I used it on my falco and it looked alright (a salesman at DK bought the bike, so it must have looked okay hey!). crmc33 is having my sloppy seconds so we'll see what he makes of it eh?

Oldgit - what do you make of rs?

Daz  

By Smartshark on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:02 am:  View Smartshark's Profile Search for other posts by Smartshark Edit this post

I have some.

It is just that when you try to touch up such small areas it looks worse than if I had left the scratches alone.
Out with the T cut and cut the Touch up paint off again. Good match it is just if you overlap the paint just a little bit it shows up as a much darker colour.  

By Daz on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:24 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Agreed. You really have to take your time with it (or get someone good to do it, like I did!)

Did you get it from rs then?

Daz  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:04 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

***Fack me! It costs less than that for the whole front fairing of fazer 600!***

You would know!

By Daz on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:41 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Welcome back B!  

By Oldgit on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 01:54 pm:  View Oldgit's Profile Search for other posts by Oldgit Edit this post

Daz, RS are good, thank's again for the tip.

Smartshark, I spent all day friggin with this red paint, not bad for a guy with an arm in a sling, don't bother trying to blend it, it's impossible. Paint the whole panel after repair. You need some skill, and a lot of patiance, if you're the type to rush it, don't start the job, leave it to someone else.

Mine came up looking like new, on the secound attempt with a good colour match now for the next panel

Tip: If you need to fill or repair a plastic panel, use plastic bumper filler from all good Auto shops. 

By Smartshark on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:02 am:  View Smartshark's Profile Search for other posts by Smartshark Edit this post

The scratches are not big or deep enough to require any filling, I got the paint from RS and it is a good match.

I think I will just leave it now and on a wet winters evening just spend some time trying to blend it in very carefully and patiently.

But £285 please.

The whole front upper fairing is due to be replaced under warranty as it has developed a few stress cracks so god knows how much that would cost if I had not noticed before the warranty period expired.

Thanks,
Paul  

By Crmc33 on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 09:42 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

paint received this morning Daz. THANKS

Thanks very much. I will do some experimenting with base/top coat layers before attacking my chipped fuel tank. I dont know how it got chipped....it must have been my hard nuts 

By Daz on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 01:31 pm:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

No worries crmc - postage was just a few pence, fantastic!

We all know you are nuts, but we didn't know just how hard!!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation