OHLINS shocks worth the money ???

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: OHLINS shocks worth the money ???
By John1000 on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 04:35 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Am in the market for a new shock for the Falco and would like to know if the Ohlins are worth a go , the 46PRC seems to be the one for my bike, any one got one on there bike or has any news on them !!!!!!!!!! 

By Befbever on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 10:29 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

For shocks and other stuff, go to Daz's site 

By Redlionfalco on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 11:37 am:  View Redlionfalco's Profile Search for other posts by Redlionfalco Edit this post

I ordered a Ohlins Mille shock at the begining of May and have been told that it will be September at the earliest, possibly longer. It would seem that Ohlins are incapable of providing even the lowest level of service, so I've cancelled and now am going with the Penske as an alternative. I don't believe that in real world road riding that there is going to be a noticeable difference in the improvement. I also rather prefer the understated styling of the Penske, just my opinion of course.  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 12:07 pm:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

Here is an ad of EZGroups, for an RSV 2001 model. Don't know if the shock wil fit your bike, but no waiting if it will....Ohlns might have poor delivery times and availablity, but it is damn good stuff.

OHLINS REAR SHOCK WITH REMOTE HYDRAULIC PRELOAD ADJUSTER £350 3.....THE LOT ALL OFF A 2001 MILLE WHICH HAS DONE JUST UNDER 2500 MILES WITH THESE ITEMS FITTED. ANYONE INTERESTED ??? EMAIL ME AT deako1037@lineone.net  

By Exdukenut on Saturday, June 29, 2002 - 06:30 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I'm going to have to stick up for the Ohlins yet again. they are are superb shock. John1000 the unit you should be asking for if you decide to get one is a 46PRCLS which has all the bells and whistles.

The distributor for ohlins, here in Australia, has sold 5 of them over the last 2 months, so can't work out why there is such a drama, in obtaining them overseas. probably dick distributors elsewhere.

Others you should have a look at are the Technoflex, WP, or the Penske. The reason I didn't go for them is that we have a similar situation (just opposite) here in Australia, with the support on those brands.

good luck with your choice. It makes a good bike a fantastic bike.

By John1000 on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 10:33 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Thanks for all your help, will ask about the upgrade for the Shock.
One more question. Is it worth getting one with adjustable ride height if it is does anyone no if Ohlins do one.??

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 03:14 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

John1000, the part no: above 46prcls is for ride height, hydraulic pre-load, remote compression etc, it is an AP840 model.

I have listed previously the spring part no:'s as well advising what spring would suit a certain weighted rider, but I can't locate the thread at the moment. If I find it I'll post it up.  

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 - 04:07 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Found it John1000, it's in the old Threads Graveyard under the thread called Ohlins. Has all the relevant spring info for you.

By John1000 on Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 08:58 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Exdukenut thanks for the advice have rang around for the shock you suggested but no one seems to know if it will fit the Falco as it seems to be for the Mille. If you know that it will could you please advise. clipart{wave}  

By Exdukenut on Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 03:29 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I have this shock on my falco (AP840, 46PRCLS), and yes they say it's for a Mille, the Ohlins specific Falco shock is the AP940 (and it doesn't have ride height adjustment), and it fits beautifully, with clearance, all round. a 20 min task with the right equipment to change the shocks over.

And it makes a good bike an absolutely superb one.

By John1000 on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 07:46 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Thanks for all your advice, have just placed an order for a AP840 hope the misses doesn�t find out how much it was. In the mean time I am going to get that nasty bung in the air box out.  

By Benw on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 11:12 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Oh, just to let you know, the shock on David Jeffreys TT winning GSX-R1000 is a Technoflex like Mr Beffy Bever has on his Falco.

Must say something huh?

Even though I won't admit there is anything wrong with the standard shock, I will say that the Technoflex does work nicely when you're pushing it on the track...

B  

By Benw on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 08:44 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

By the way Beffer,

How much did your tichnoflux cost?

Hmmm...

B  

By Befbever on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 12:18 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I paid 724 Euro, that's including shipping, taxes and ride height adjustment.
I would advize anyone who is after a Technoflex in the UK to contact the UK importer. Saves time and money IMHO.

K-tech
ask for Chris
(0044)- 01530810625

Btw, you seem to be awefully curious about a shock that isn't necessary, isn't a night and day difference, etc..  

By Benw on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 12:06 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Never hurts to do some research!  

By Bonnieville on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 05:49 am:  View Bonnieville's Profile Search for other posts by Bonnieville Edit this post

If you go for the 46PRCLS, does if matter if you get the vertical or horizontal resevour? The article on Daz's stie shows a horizontal resevour. Thanks!  

By Exdukenut on Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 02:39 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I think you will find that either one would work on a Falco. However if you ever intend getting a Mille swingarm, then you must get the horizontal one. Which is part number AP840. The Mille AP840 one fits very nicely. And the article (somewhat simplistic I know) was mine.  

By Bonnieville on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 04:42 am:  View Bonnieville's Profile Search for other posts by Bonnieville Edit this post

Thanks, Exdukenut, the article was quite helpful, actually.  

By Exdukenut on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 03:05 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Hey Bonnie, I wrote some info on the springs/weights for a certain rider, that you can get when you order the Ohlins, it was in the graveyard threads under a thread called Ohlins, FYI....

You will enjoy the transformation of the Falco, once a new shock is put on. It also takes about 20-30 mins to do it yourself with a paddock stand initially, then a steel rod through the frame/swingarm pivot resting on some car jacks.  

By Bonnieville on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 06:40 am:  View Bonnieville's Profile Search for other posts by Bonnieville Edit this post

Ordered the AP840 from Wim Kroon 2 weeks ago, they still do not have them in stock! No idea when they will have them. No fault of their's I'm sure, but I am going to try another alternative now.

BTW, thanks for pointing me to the spring weight info!  

By Prilliant on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 01:31 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

These slow delivry times seem to be a constant problem with Ohlins. I've been thinking of fitting a Mille Ohlins to my bike too. Maybe it'd be worth my while trying a Penske. It certainly seemed to work okay for Dave Jeffries. Has anyone had experience of Penske on a Falco (or Mille)? Don't want to waste a lot of money.  

By Exdukenut on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 05:00 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Any shock, Penske, Ohlins, Technoflex etc will be a vast improvement upon the std shocks. Go with the brand that YOU think will give you the best overall deal, that encompises delivery, after sales, cost, & value for money.  

By Benw on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:27 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Prilliant,

Are you talking about David Jeffries TT bike? In that case it's a Technoflex, not Penske.

Just being anal.

B  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:21 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

It doesnt matter what shock Dave Jeffries (or is it Jeff Daveries?) was using at the TT, his back wheel was probably in mid air half the time 

By Prilliant on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 03:01 am:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

I'm just being old fashioned. He had a penske fited to the V&M Yamahas he raced a couple of years back. Are Technoflex easy to get hold of in the UK?  

By Benw on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 03:24 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

<psst><looking around for Bef>
<psst>
They seem easy to get hold of. I spoke with Chris (the number Bef gave above) and they get them within a couple of days.
Penske seem the most expensive of the lot. Technoflex aren't cheap - equivalent to Ohlins in price and performance I understand. They do an emulsion shock which is significantly cheaper than the top of the doo-da version.

Thinking of getting a replacement for the standard unit??

<sneaks away without Bef seeing>  

By Prilliant on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:51 pm:  View Prilliant's Profile Search for other posts by Prilliant Edit this post

This site is populated by lunatics

Have e-mailed Technoflex and hope to hear from them in a day or two.

BTW 19,000 miles up now and still nothing more dramatic than a blown headlight bulb!!!
I'm keepin'er for the duration.
Now is that tempting fate or what 

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:22 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

This site is populated by lunatics

Why, thank you.

BenW, methinks Ohlins are more eggspensif. And besides, they don't have an Alice.  

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:27 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

The geezer at k-tech or whatever they're called reckoned that with the ride height adjuster and the hydraulic preload, it's about the same price as the Ohlins.

At 20,030 miles, the standard one might be ready for replacing now anyway.

B  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:30 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Why? Is there something wrong with the stock one?

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:36 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Not when new. 20K+ miles are having an effect on it though. It's sitting a bit low on its stand now, so I'm thinking of putting something else on it.

I was thinking about trading the Falco in for a BMW R1150GS but I can't afford the extra to make up the difference (tight gits...).

I'm thinking about a Tiknowflukx, having experienced yours. It's blue too, so it won't look out of place on the bike compared to the original.

You'll be selling yours soon - you're almost at the Belgian 3 year thing now aren't you? I'll buy it off you for 50 quid or summink...

B 

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:43 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sure! That would be the deal of the century. For you.

When I sell my bike next year, the Technoflex is coming off. They can easily alter it to fit my next bike. It'll be due for the 2-year service anyway by then.

Btw, Roscofalco got a great deal on WP suspension front and back. I haven't heard from him yet so I guess he's out testing.  

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:45 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

What bike are you going to get next year Beffer?

There isn't much else on the market that I'd consider getting - except the Beemer of course...  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:50 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I have absolutely positively no idea.
No beemer, that's for sure.
Perhaps I should consider a Futura to rest my weary bones. Throw in my Falco's engine and  

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:57 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Maybe you should get yourself a CapoNord thingy?

Why not get an RSV-R? Suits you Sir!  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:58 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

A Mille? Moi?  

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:02 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

You could use the exhausts, airkit and shock - seems like a done deal...

They are a bit common though. Not like my red Falco!

B  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:04 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Yeah, they're for common folk. Not for underpaid intellectuals like you and me.

That's a joke, people!

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 08:05 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Many a true word spoken in jest...  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:44 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I think the Ash grey Futura with the bright Silver wheels looks superb.
God knows wht they decided to put an analogue speedo on it tho? Cwazey Italyuns!  

By John1000 on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 09:51 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Well I was stupid enough to have ordered an Ohlins Shock back in June and guess what I�m still waiting for the thing. So I thought I would ring the shop to see if there was a problem only to be told that it appears that it has been lost in the Post ( very original I thought ) and Ohlins are not making any more until October at the earliest . Well I am a patient man but I have my limits, and as I had not paid a deposit I have decided to look for another Manufacturer.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation