New Bridgestone Battlax BT-012SS

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Falco SL1000: New Bridgestone Battlax BT-012SS
By Falconas on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 01:09 pm:  View Falconas's Profile Search for other posts by Falconas Edit this post

Bridgestone put out a new more sportive tyre than the 010 many of us wear, the 012SS. Anyone tried it yet? Anyway go to : http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/mc/eu/products/index.html and then press BATTLAX to have a look.
By the specs i saw it must be better at high lean angles and maybe wear out quicker. What do you think? Is it too much for everyday road use? 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:40 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I've just put a set on my SL and I think they're tops! Smooth turn in, easier to turn than the 010s too. Better edge grip than the 010 and they warm up quicker.

I haven't tried them on the track yet, but watch this space... (no not you CMRMCCRRMCCMMCC )

B 

By Salkhan on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

Absolutely rock on the track - on a Mille (if that helps). Super stable, silly leans, and lots and lots of warning if anything goes wrong.

Probably won't get the mileage out of it like you would the 010 - but who cares right?  

By Befbever on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:12 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Okay, Ben. So how about in the wet? Doesn't it sometimes rain overthere in Blighty?

I'd ask you, Salkhan, but Millenauts don't ride in the wet. Or do they? 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:21 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Double post... 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 07:22 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I've been fortunate enough to be working from home for the last week or two. Haven't been out in the rain - well, I did today to post my forks off for a service and tune-up, but that was in the Range Rover.

I'll let you know how they are in the wet when I try it. The bloke from Bridgestone reckons they are top in the wet, or better than SuperCorsas at least...

I prefer the 012 to the 010 already. The grip is better for a start and the roll-in and out of corners is sweeter. Definitely a better confidence tyre.

B  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:41 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Im buying new tyres next month. Ive decided to be a rebel and fit something other than MEZ3's.

Would the BT012's last a trip from Derby to Cadwell, a day blasting at the circuit and then the ride back from Cadwell to Berlin?

Im thinkin of plumping for the Sportecs but would the 012's be up for it dya think? I guess it would make life more exciting riding the autobahn on a canvas rear tyre? 

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:43 pm:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Great. Once my Supercorsas are done I'll have a set. I was thinking about it a couple of months ago.

Bef, I saw, none other than, 2 RSVs in Holland. One a 2000 R with RSC can and a 2000 std. Mine looked the nutz of course.

The ONLY Falco I saw was in the showroom.

Kevin 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 10:45 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Mr33,

I'm pretty sure the 012 should last that but it'd be squared by the end if you autobahn'd it the whole way... Should be able to get 2000-2500 miles out of one by the looks of it.

B  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:04 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

maybe I should carry a spare rear over my shoulder?

how much are they Ben? Any cheaper than the Sportec? Thing is, Im unlikely to be riding more than 70-80% of my normal race speed so that I acxtuall make it thru the track day in one piece as I need to ride the bike home again! So the stickier BT012's may be a waste do you think?

Is the 012 dual compound? Keep us informed of your tyre wear and how long the rear lasts as the track day is at the end of the month. 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:13 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I'll have some answers for you within the hour. I need to speak to a man about a dog...

By the way, what track day are you doing? I'm in the market to do another one v.soon.

B  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:24 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Cadwell Full Circus on Tuesday 27th  

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:27 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

That's a shame. I'll be in Menorca until the 28th.

Oh well, we shall duel another day...

B 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:31 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Thank christ for that!

the sound of fairings and helmets (ooh) draggin on the tarmac was beginning to ring in my ears 

By Befbever on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:34 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

Bef, I saw, none other than, 2 RSVs in Holland. One a 2000 R with RSC can and a 2000 std. Mine looked the nutz of course.

The ONLY Falco I saw was in the showroom

I could hear your sigh of relief.

Since the Rockingham track day, I saw 1, that's right, one Falco other than mine overhere.
This thing's more exclusive than a Bimota!  

By Roscofalco on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 01:39 pm:  View Roscofalco's Profile Search for other posts by Roscofalco Edit this post

Quote:

Since the Rockingham track day, I saw 1, that's right, one Falco other than mine overhere.

The way this thread is going I no longer need to think about that "perfect intro" for what I wanted to ask tonight... It just so happens I saw two different Falco's in two consecutive days: talk about a sign from above
I seem to be in all the right places at exactly the right times, I've seen six or seven other Falco's "out in the jungle" since I bought mine about a year ago, and I do live in one of Europe's smallest countries (yes, the land of mayo and beer )
Got passed late last summer near Vilvoorde by a red one on which the biker apparently knew no difference between filtering and racing, a few months later in the car I just recognised those gorgeous sexy taillights as a black one litteraly flew past me at night on the Brussels ringway...early this year I went for a ride with Beffy (does that count for a "sighting"?? purlease? ), last month I saw a brandnew proud owner leaving my dealer's workshop on a shiny red one and a few days later a less shiny red one waiting at the same traffic lights as me, but on the opposite side of the road...you can imagine the grin of understanding exchanged for so much good taste on display for those ignorant c*r drivers behind us and the shivers down their spines as we both roared off into the distance

And now for what I really wanted to ask before I wandered off in poetic memories
Yesterday, sunday 4/8/02 in the late afternoon I saw a black Falco with Bos exhausts, in Blankenberge and apparently heading for De Haan, I almost spilled my GF's sangria when jumping off my seat and trying to convince her of the importance of such a Falco sighting... I remember someone on this very board has a Black Falco with Bos cans and lives in De Haan: Bob, was that you?
And today I saw a silver Falco with what I think was a german license plate, fully packed with luggage and two up, riding on the E40 between Leuven and Brussels in the pouring rain around 5pm, was that anyone frequenting this board?

It's just gotta be a sign to see two different examples of such a rare bike in two consecutive days, at about the same hour of the day...if only I could figure out what it means...just to make sure, I think y'all will understand, I went into the garage to give my baby an extra kiss goodnight before coming to visit the board

Wouter 

By Benw on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:19 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Beffer,

I can finally tell you about the 012 performance in the wet. I got caught in a torrential down-pour yesterday...

I basically continued riding hard to see what they were like. They seem better than the 010! Strange considering the amount of sipes is far fewer. Perhaps they stay warm more easily? I had more confidence in them than the 010 anyway. I wouldn't have pushed the 010 so hard. The 010 has more tread but it seems to get cold quite easily, wheras the 012 keeps gripping. Wierd.

B 

By Benw on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:22 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I spoke with a guy at Bridgestone about your quandry and he reckons they'll do the trip, grip and leave you with plenty of tread for fun when you get home. He says the wear rates are only a bit less than the 010 which suprised them all at Bridgestone.

Go on, try a set...

B  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:31 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I mite just do that!

Just gotta find a good deal on some now. Any top tips? Im guessing Im looking at 200 smackas for a pair of loose tyres.  

By Benw on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:50 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Cheapest place I know of is FWR in London. They'll post them wherever you want though.

FWR website

B 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 01:02 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

227 UKP! Thats a lot of money for loose tyres.

price in the USA 210$

....Someones making a lot of money out of these!

IRC Teflon RR's here I come! A pair for the price of an Uncle Ben's Curry sauce!  

By Litre1 on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 05:00 am:  View Litre1's Profile Search for other posts by Litre1 Edit this post

Try US$89.95 front 120/70ZR17, and $108.95 rear 180/55ZR17 rear at www.mawonline.com. They have the best prices on a lot of stuff--by far! Good closeouts, too. They ship ground, so it takes a few days, but you can track the order and keep track of the shipment. They ship overseas, but the freight cost can be pretty high.

Overseas freight for 2 rear tires and 1 front tire runs somewhere around $170.00 it looks like. I've placed some orders with them, and they are pretty responsive, especially over the phone.  

By Befbever on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 11:22 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ben,
thank you. That's what I was considering getting them for. According to the test I've read, they should be up to temperature almost immediately, which explains their good performance in the wet. As for aqua-planing, that doesn't worry me too much. The tyre will grip eventually.

Rosco, going riding with me doesn't count as a sighting. Neither does a black one.

By Mental_Trev on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 02:39 am:  View Mental_Trev's Profile Search for other posts by Mental_Trev Edit this post

Quote:

Neither does a black one

It's no good trying to hide behind that sofa!

By Bob on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 06:55 am:  View Bob's Profile Search for other posts by Bob Edit this post

Yes Wouter, I think it was me who you saw. I live in De Haan but I'm working in a restaurant in Blankenberge. Sorry that I didn't notice you, because I never met someone from this board before.
By the way in the region of De Haan- Bredene are there at least 3 Falco's ( I think one of them must be Pikfee's).
Hope to notice you next time.
Bob  

By Befbever on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 12:08 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hard to believe Rosco notices anything when he's with his GF.
Aah, young

How's the clutch, Bob?
How's the WP suspenders, Rosco?
Hello?! Is this on?

By Roscofalco on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 01:55 am:  View Roscofalco's Profile Search for other posts by Roscofalco Edit this post

This is on alright, just got back home 5 min ago...
My GF has learnt to live with the fact that motorcycles are very important to me, so I always am distracted when one passes by and especially a Falco... She did what she had to do and went for her licence, so we're currently looking around for a good starter bike ("Daz"zer 600 or Hornet or Bandit-like probably...although she prefers the rumble of a twin but she found an SV650 a bit too much...) Finding a decent second hand bike is even harder than I remember from my pre-Falco experience, not to mention time-consuming...

The WP's still haven't arrived , I think I'm going to call or mail them myself this week or so and ask what's up... There's always Technoflex if need be
Bob, that's alright, I was having a drink on the terrace of a bar behind some artisanal market and was so surprised by seeing a Falco that I forgot to wave or call so you couldn't have seen me... I only realized later on that it probably was you (black & Bos cans)
Three Falco's? nice, but I'm afraid Pikfee's is up for sale, I came across his ad in motorkoopjeskrant (some bike ad magazine) while looking for my GF's bike...

Wouter,

Just got bike back from 7500 km service, there's some great weather and a brand new Bridgestone BT20 calling me... must resist....first finish post...hard... harder...failed.. see ya later 

By Tokas on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 09:14 pm:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

Hi there! Why not do like me and buy tyres second hand at road racing competitions?

A few months ago i bought a Pirelli Supercorsa rear tyre with ~70% left of the groove in the middle (torn sides), it has lasted me 3000 km! I love the handling and grip it offer.

That rear now needs to be replaced so yesterday i went on the finals in the Swedish Road Racing Championships to buy more tyres and have a good time. I bought 2 rears and 1 front Supercorsa with ~80% left in the middle. I payed 140� for all 3 of them, RSP in Sweden are astronomical 855�... That would be a 84% cut on the price! 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 05:06 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Just ordered a pair of M1 Sportecs for the Falco from the very helpful people at Leeds bike tyres. Thanks for the info on the 012's Ben, but the 012's were working out pretty expensive at the moment (about 50 quid more for a pair).
FYI, I paid 177 UKP incl the dreaded VAT and delivery for the Sportecs which I thought was a good deal. I hope life doesnt get too boring now the slidey MEZ3's are finally gonna hit the skip.
Now lets see how quickly I can wear em out!...bring on Charlies, Chris Curve and the gooseneck 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation