Fairing fit

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Fairing fit
By Deputydog95 on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:23 pm:  View Deputydog95's Profile Search for other posts by Deputydog95 Edit this post

C:\aprilia photos
C:aprilia photosDscf0009Dscf0009 

By Deputydog95 on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:27 pm:  View Deputydog95's Profile Search for other posts by Deputydog95 Edit this post

Is this normal fit for the fairing? The gap looks kind of big too me. Didn't notice it till I got it home.  

By Geo on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 11:23 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Mine looks exactly the same with a large gap by the frame and the side panel not quite even with the top piece. I took it off and an on a few times but it won't fit better.
The only thing that helps it is carving corners at triple the speed limit.....  

By Deputydog95 on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 11:40 pm:  View Deputydog95's Profile Search for other posts by Deputydog95 Edit this post

I'm okay with the gap by the frame. I'm more concerned with the sloppy fit where the upper fairing meets the middle fairing. You can see it in the pic. Just go about one inch to the right of where the frame meets the upper fairing. Yours looks like this too?  

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 12:28 am:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

If you don't put the screws in does it fit nicely? (not that I have a Mille....but it does look out of whack to me!)  

By Geo on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:37 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Yep it's the same. there's no lip there to hide the gap.
If you want to see what's going on take the side panels off, they're quick disconnect clips, it only takes a few seconds.  

By Deputydog95 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:33 am:  View Deputydog95's Profile Search for other posts by Deputydog95 Edit this post

Just to clarify, this is the part of the fairing I'm refering to. Does everybody's look like this?

fairing photo 

By Deputydog95 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:40 am:  View Deputydog95's Profile Search for other posts by Deputydog95 Edit this post

Excuse the weird photo. When I converted the adobe photo to a jpg, it turned blue. I've had a lot of different answers to my question about the fairing fit. I'm trying to get a general consensus since I don't have another one to look at. The area circled is where the fitment problem is. Refer back to the top color photo for better clarity. Wish I had a dealer even remotely close to me. Thanks for everyone's input.  

By Powermaster on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:54 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Welcome to Aprilia Ridersite, Deputy.
The fittings bvary from bike to bike, some better some worse, this is due to the flexability of the plastic used and the fasteners. there are some hooks under the side panel, just make sure that they are fitted correctly, this is a common problem caused by the PDI (pre-delivery-inspection)  

By Geo on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:27 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

YES YES YES that gap.
I tried to fix it a few times. There's a hook behind with (a tab with a hole in it) and nothing to hook it to.
In any case the plastic is not defective it's all made in the same mold, but the assembly is done by hand. Try taking it part and see if you can do better at putting back together.  

By Rca on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 05:09 pm:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Take off the belly pan, side panels, top panels and airbox intake outers. Loosen airbox intake inners, loosen front fairing and make sure it is seated properly on the mirror support brackets and tighten. Make sure airbox intake inners are seated properly on the main frame and tighten bolts that attach them to main frame and front fairing. With these properly in place, re-attach everything else starting from the top down checking and adjusting the alignment of the fastener attachment points as you go. The important thing is to work from the top down. Your was possibly assembled from the bottom up.  

By Madbiscuitorgy on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:09 pm:  View Madbiscuitorgy's Profile Search for other posts by Madbiscuitorgy Edit this post

i agree with Rca, the only way to get it to fit properly is to loosen it all & re-tighten from the top, lining the panels up as u go

and yes mine looks the same as yours deputy, u sure thats not my bike you've got a picture of  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation