Clutch slip - anyone had similar problem

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Clutch slip - anyone had similar problem
By Bbb on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 04:31 am:  View Bbb's Profile Search for other posts by Bbb Edit this post

I have only had my 2000 RSV-R a short while & yesterday was the first time I had a chance to ride it on perfectly dry roads.
This was the first time I had riden the bike hard & the clutch slipped like hell when the bike got hot, at one point I had no drive at all & had to stop & let it cool down then nurse it home.
A mate thinks that the likely cause it that the bike has been filled with fully synthetic instead of semi synthetic oil.
The last service was carried out by an Aprilia dealer just before I bought the bike which has only done 4K, surely a dealer would not put the wrong oil in?

Has anyone had similar problems?
If I buy the correct oil & a new filter is it just a matter of changing them or has the clutch got to be stripped?  

By Richandall on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 01:40 pm:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Haven't looked across to the RSRVR side 'til now but have you fixed the problem yet? You're mate's right and the dealer wrong. It's all spelled out at the old graveyard:

Slipping Clutch!

Clutch question (Bef?)

Clutch after 22k

By Richandall on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 01:41 pm:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Btw I'm assuming the slip IS caused by full synth oil. It may be something else but these threads cover most of the ground anyway!

- Rich  

By Mille_Vanille on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:30 pm:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

I had a TL1000S and the clutch slipped on that (only 8k miles when I bought it).

Changed to semi-synthetic and put stronger clutch springs..... sorted!!

Dunno if same would apply here but worth a go.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation