'99 or '01, that is my question?????

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : '99 or '01, that is my question?????
By Mille_Vanille on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 04:05 pm:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

Hiya chaps

Doing a deal this Saturday (I know, it's my xmas pressie to myself!!).

Been offered a very cheap 4000 mile late '99 mille against a late '01 (new shape) for a grand more!

I know about the changes (all 200+ of them) but, in the real world, does it make any difference?

I had a TL1000S and got the handling sorted on that and realise that possibly both Milles are going to be a few steps higher, in handling/engine stakes BUT, has anyone ridden both...... comments please!!!

Adey  

By Nitroargi on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:58 pm:  View Nitroargi's Profile Search for other posts by Nitroargi Edit this post

Hi there!!!

I own a '99 Mille but I have also tested my friend's 2001. Eventhough the testing was around the block I must admit that there are some good things in the 2001 model. I liked the shape of the tank (in older models the tank is thicker near the drivers seat). I can't really judge because this was a stock 2001 and mine has various things added. How tall are you??? I feel more at home on my bike(I am 1.95m)
Which one do you like the most???Which one can you affort??? 

By Powermaster on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:25 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Go For it, different bike alltogether and more power  

By Mille_Vanille on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 02:09 am:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

I like both models, in different ways. The older model looks like the more classic shape with the newer letting cosmetics take over.

I am (I think) 1.88m (6'2) and both feel great and fit like a glove.

I can afford both, it's just the amount of time to pay the bloody things off!!

I suspect it will be the later model and I appreciate your thoughts (and .gifs!!!)

Cheers  

By Befbever on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 12:01 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

'01 definitely. Otherwise you'll end up with something you can't even shake a Falco with.
And I'm speaking from personal experience here!

Mind you, even '02 RSV-R's can't keep up with an able Falconeer.
At track days some R-riders need lots of

By Crmc33 on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:30 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Roll on Cadwell 2003. Bef has promised to wear a bullseye on his back....Let the carnage begin! 

By Bossbob on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:20 am:  View Bossbob's Profile Search for other posts by Bossbob Edit this post

By Mille_Vanille on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 09:01 am:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

Well, that's that then!!

Got it today - 2001 RSV Mille (new model), in black, 2500 miles, bought from dealer who had his pants down!! (really can recommend this middle of winter buying a bike thang!!)

Chaaaaaaaaaaaarge!! (well, not just yet!!)  

By Scottaride on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:20 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Great...what did u pay?  

By Mille_Vanille on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:56 pm:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

Well, lets just say that I got it for 500 notes below the dealer's asking price!!

I notice you have a TL1000S, great bike, had one for about a year and a half, got the handling sorted a treat. What have you done to yours??  

By Scottaride on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:24 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Sounds like you got a great deal. When you mentioned my old TL 1000 you reminded me to update my profile. I brought a new RSV mile about four months ago and have not looked back since. I have done a minor custom paint job on it, removed most of the stickers, added a 16 tooth front sprocket, PC111 and had it customer mapped, Ventura light guard and pack rack, and a Renegade high mount slip on exhaust and an Ohlins steering Dampner. She goes well and puts out about 118 hp (SAE) at the rear wheel, but is particularly strong in the midrange.

No doubt you will be doing a few modifications yourself.

Cheers

Scott, New Zealand  

By Mille_Vanille on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:35 pm:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

I need to contact the previous owner to see exactly what he has done already. It has braided hoses (dunno if standard comes with??)

WhenI actually get the bike (2 weeks) I will eb able to see what's been done i.e. airbox, front cog etc.

My old TLS was putting out 122bhp at the rear with only a k&n, re-map and cans!! Thing was, my mate had the TLR and the top end was mental compared to mine so I am expecting big things from the prilla!!  

By Scottaride on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 04:05 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

They come out standard with braided lines and no doubt it will already be derestricted (though obviously you will need to check).

Although in pure horsepower terms the RSV does not appear to have as much power as a TLR or even some TLS's, it somehow seems to put the power down in a way that defies logic compared to more powerful machinery. In fact, you often hear the people testing the RSV in motorcycle magazines saying that they cannot believe it only puts out the amount of HP that it does, they all think it was producing alot more.

I have had mine at the track once and it had no trouble keeping up with (and sometimes passing) a couple of TLR's down the back staight. But even if I sometimes didn't get past under acceleration (I may have come out of the corner behind them) it was always able to outbrake them into the corner at the end of the straight and get past.. he he., and they didn't stand a chance once the RSV is ahead through the corners. This is even more pronounced on the road. 

By Mille_Vanille on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 04:15 pm:  View Mille_Vanille's Profile Search for other posts by Mille_Vanille Edit this post

Well Scott, its almost midnight here and I am gonna have trouble getting to sleep now...... what with all this sexy talk an'all!!!

The TLS was a good bike, my mate's TLR was a better bike... but I fully expect the RSV to be leagues ahead and cant bloody wait to thrash it!!

Am off to Northern Spain in mid March, for a shake down with a few mates so I am now going in to hibernation until then!!

You, most probably, will be enjoying mid 80s temps, hot sticky tarmac whilst we have freezing temps, slippy roads and mad short-sighted old lady car-drivers!!

Wanna swop???  

By Scottaride on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 05:35 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Im happy to swop bikes...especially as I just fell off...cos I'm a dumb ass.

And yep, the weather is great here!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation