I need a rear tyre that will last 4000 miles (6000km)?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : I need a rear tyre that will last 4000 miles (6000km)?
By Scottaride on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:19 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Im about to go on a tour in the South Island of New Zealand. The roads are fantastic, twisty and fast, but it is quite coarse chip on the road.

My Dunlop 207RRs lasted 2800 miles (4500km) so wont do for the trip.

What tyres have you used on your RSVs that will last 4000 miles and still give reasonable grip. I ride reasonably aggressivly and like a quick pace.

Also, it will be bloody wet at times on the trip so it needs to be OK in the wet, and I also dont like the Bridgestone 020.

Thanks  

By Rca on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:45 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Are you saying there is no one on the South Island that can change a tyre.  

By Scottaride on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:55 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

You are right, there are a number of places to change a tyre down south. But I dont want the extra expence of buying 2 rear tyres for the trip. Nor do I want the hassle of having to travel into one of the main centers to get it done. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea where I might be when the black ring gets to the shagged stage.

So how about those tyre suggestions then?  

By Benw on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 01:40 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

If you don't like the BT020, there are several others you could try:

Avon Azaro II
Pirelli Dragon GTS or possibly Evo (not corsa)
Bridgestone BT010 might do the distance - it depends on how hot it'll be
Dunlop D207 standard compound
Michelin Macadam 100X
Metzeler MEZ4

All those tyres are designed for pretty good mileage with reasonable grip.

B  

By Scottaride on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 03:33 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Thanks for the list

I think Ive decided on a Michelin Pilot Road rear. Its half way between the Sport and the Macadam.

Thanks for the feed back
Scott  

By Cheekymonkey on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 04:45 pm:  View Cheekymonkey's Profile Search for other posts by Cheekymonkey Edit this post

Easy.

Bridgestone BT010 or Metzeler Sportec M1. You should get more miles than 207RR and they're both superb wet weather tyres.

Have used all three on my Mille (inc 207RRs), and they all worked fine.  

By Exdukenut on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 05:01 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Scott, just ensure you get them heated up before giving them a good workout! They WILL, take longer than most tyres, especially to what you have been used to!

Have safe trip.

By Scottaride on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 03:40 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Hey CheekyMonkey (Bit concerned re the name) How many km did you get from the Bridgestone BT010 or Metzeler Sportec M1?

What km/miles have the rest of you troublemakers got from Bridgestone BT010s or Metzeler Sportec M1s?

thanks
Scott 

By Geo on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 08:12 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Depends on your budget (some people ride them to "the end")
On my VTR the BT010s got too squared off for my taste after 3500 miles, I usually kept them to 4000, but they weren't "completely" wasted yet.
On the Mille the 207RRs lasted 2500m only.
The BT012 have 3200 miles now and they're not square yet, I think they'll last the same as the 010s  

By Exdukenut on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 09:44 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Hey Geo, you're not riding hard enough! My front lasted 5500kms and was absolutely shagged, the rear 3500 (maybe would've lasted another 500kms). This was my second rear to one front the first rear lasted 2000kms max.

Get out there man and shag them!

Just take care!

By Cheekymonkey on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:06 am:  View Cheekymonkey's Profile Search for other posts by Cheekymonkey Edit this post

Scottaride (dodgy name, mate...)

Sportecs have lasted 3000 miles so far but are on their way out - probably another 500 miles in 'em. Good in the wet though, and that mileage includes two trackdays.

Bridgestones lasted about the same, but wear on the front tyre was uneven (same as D207RRs) due to the way the tread faces - which you can feel on a racetrack but is fine for road use.
HTH  

By Benw on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 09:52 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Mr Monkey,

Were the pressures on your tyres correct? I'm sure you know that low pressures will cause uneven wear on the tyre shoulder!

B 

By Geo on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 10:14 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Exduke-but-still-nutter is right, in that i'm trying NOT to shag them sooner than needed ($$$) but the 207RRs still got worn a lot faster than the others.
In my area you ride a lot of miles and go nowhere so it all adds up very quickly.

I got 8k miles on my RSV in one year, which doesn't sound too bad.. until you find out that:
-I rarely commuted on it
-Only took it on one short (600m) out of town trip.
-Due to tropical storms I didn't get to ride on most weekends this spring.
-And I was "out of commission" for another 2 months.
Makes me wonder if the dog sneaks the bike out for joy rides after we go to sleep!  

By Geo on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 10:31 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Exduke-but-still-nutter is right, in that i'm trying NOT to shag them sooner than needed ($$$) but the 207RRs still got worn a lot faster than the others.
In my area you ride a lot of miles and go nowhere so it all adds up very quickly.

I got 8k miles on my RSV in one year, which doesn't sound too bad.. until you find out that:
-I rarely commuted on it
-Only took it on one short (600m) out of town trip.
-Due to tropical storms I didn't get to ride on most weekends this spring.
-And I was "out of commission" for another 2 months.
Makes me wonder if the dog sneaks the bike out for joy rides after we go to sleep!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation