Quite crap MPG.

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Quite crap MPG.
By Jol on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:37 am:  View Jol's Profile Search for other posts by Jol Edit this post

5{ couple of weeks I've been commuting 2-3 miles (through traffic) to a a job, and with no weekend jaunts (as the weather has something to be desired at the moment). Coming back from work today I managed a staggering 66.4 miles until the fuel warning light came on.

Whilst I haven't ridden too much like an idiot (bumbling around from 4-7 K) most of the time
, on a burn through the countryside I'll easily get near double this. I have warmed the bike everyday until 60 deg C before heading off.

How far or should I say short do you guys get in town?

This is on a Stock RSV-Mille 2001, no exhaust changes, chipping etc 2,700 miles.

Incidentally I'm sure the tank is not 18 litres, as I'be just managed to shove 13 litres of Essos finest. 

By Scottaride on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:52 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Basically .... mileage WILL suck around town.

The tank IS 18 litres, but the fuel light may be coming on early. When mine comes on I only get 13-14 letres in it, but if I keep riding I have gone another 40 miles and then filled 17 litres.

Hope that helps.  

By Mr_Venjer on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 08:51 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

My 2001 RSVR has a 16L tank. I have managed 16.15 litres once when it ran out of petrol. In fact I only ever get 16L when I have run out of petrol. I got 58 miles once when the fuel light came on. The norm for me - town riding - is 70 miles before the light comes on.

Kevin  

By Exdukenut on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 06:03 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Sounds like you ride at 8-9K rpm all the time Mr_Venjer.

Most I've evr got into my tank was 17.15 litres, and that was very patient filling at the end. 

By Geo on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 07:58 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I thought the 01 RSV had 4.75 US gallons (18L)??

On the VTR1000f aka Firestorm aka Superhawk aka Fartstormer aka Chicken Hawk I used to average 30-32mpg (US) around town.
On the Mille I get 38-40 commuting or touring, so no complaints.
Reserve light comes on too early with only 3.2 US gallons used at anywhere between 100m (31mpg) and 130 miles (40mpg)according to how I ride it.
The most that I dared ride was some 155 miles and there still was fuel left.  

By Geo on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 08:02 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

BTW there's always a 1/4 gallon or so at the bottom that doesn't reach the carbs ( or fi) on any bike.
I expect the usable tank should be just under 17 liters.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 07:03 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Jol,

If youre only using the bike for 2-3 miles each way then the MPG will be bad. The bike will always being running on its richest settings and the motor will be drinking more juice than George Best after a hot curry

Maybe you should get a new job further away? 

By Mr_Venjer on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 07:35 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

CRMC33. My daily commute is only 4 miles each way. Maybe this is why my mpg is so low. At the weekends I go out further but its my weekday mileage which is shite.

I didn't know it drank more early in a journey.

Bollux.  

By Rca on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:11 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Cold engines use more fuel and warming it up beforehand burns fuel aswell.

Name: Russell
Special Subject: The bleeding obvious.  

By Benw on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 08:32 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Don't forget to tell the nice people why a cold engine uses more fuel!

B  

By Geo on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 09:04 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

My bike gets 0 mpg while warming up on the side stand or when it's stopped at a red light!

Seriously, I find it very cold blooded for an injected motor and I live in South Fla (tropical weather to you).
I wonder how much worse it is in cold weather. 

By Hammertime on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 09:46 am:  View Hammertime's Profile Search for other posts by Hammertime Edit this post

My work commute is 15 miles each way and I get between 95 and 100 miles before the light comes on.

I don't bother with the 'wait-till-60-degrees-warming-up' proceedure people seem to go through. I couldn't sit there waiting for it to warm up like that anyway... not with all the racket it makes (courtesy of an Aprilia RSC Ti EVO). My neighbours would get too hacked off with it all!

I start it up in the garage and by the time I've put my gloves on and wheeled it out, it's already showing forty something degrees. I then don't go above 3,000rpm until 60 degrees.

I always thought bikes warmed up faster and were more efficient if you just rode them off (gently does it, of course) from start up...?  

By Rca on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 03:12 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

>> Don't forget to tell the nice people why a cold engine uses more fuel! <<

One reason is that when the engine starts up, it has to pump oil throughout to lubricate the moving parts. In a cold engine, the oil is thick and resists flow ("intrafluid friction"), which means the engine has to work harder to overcome the friction.

Another reason is fuel combustion is much less efficient in a cold engine, the air-fuel mixture has to be made richer to compensate for fuel vapor condensing on the (cold) inlet and cylinder walls which leads to incomplete combustion.

Sir, is that enough information? do I get a gold star? 

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:13 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

NO but heres a pic of John Cronshaws' (Gold Star that is)

norma snorks 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation