Non standard brake discs

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Non standard brake discs
By Rca on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:01 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

This is a topic that hasn't been visited in a while. Aftermarket brake discs, PFM Performance Discs, PFM Supersport Discs, Spiegler, Brembo full floating iron discs. Who has used these, what pads have you tried, road vs track suitability, any problems, how happy have you been with your choice.  

By Exdukenut on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:13 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

I run the full floating cast iron rotors from Brembo, and they came with there own pads.

As to how well they go, when they are needed they are superb, wet or dry, but I very rarely use them, engine braking on these bikes is superb, so I can see the pads lasting a long while.Brembo's 

By Powermaster on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 05:50 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Full Floating discs from 916SP, same as the Mille's but full floater, At present I am trying 6 pot from Harrison, they were designed on my bike, priced around £275? 

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:05 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hey, Ex, since you rarely use them, can I switch mine with yours?
Think fast, they're not warped yet!

By Rca on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:43 pm:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Considering how many claim to have warped discs, I'm surprised there aren't more than just two that have tried something different.

My reason for asking is that having put up with judder for the last few thousand miles, I've decided to try and cure it, my friendly mechanic is first of all going to try converting my semi-floaters into full floaters, but if that doesn't work I'd like to try some different discs.  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 08:16 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Did Aprilia change the rotors on the Falco after 2000? My bike has 8k miles on it, including two trackdays, and I've never had a problem...

I'm about ready for pads, and was wondering what you guys recommend...  

By Benw on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 08:38 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

8,000 isn't that large a mileage - I'd wouldn't be suprised if they started to exhibit a slight pulsing at the lever. Do you ride your bike in shitty weather?

I've read in several places that the dirt gets into the pins and stops them floating quite so much, leading to them warping. I'll be cleaning mine out soon enough to try it - worth doing as I'm about to throw them and get yet another set at 21,000 miles...  

By Scotty on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:21 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

almost 16K miles on my O.E. disks no lever pulsing at all!! Bike ridden in all weathers
4k on Brembo O.E. pads only... rest on EBC-HH... (not counting small mileage on Carbone Lorraine crap).

I'm still wondering if the O.E. pads maybe partially responsible for the warping??? I remember Al's falco having blue discs after he hammered the brakes too hard on the std pads.  

By Hansie on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 11:14 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

30.000km and slightly warped discs , stilldrivable.
Blue discs , on trackdays yes not on the road.

Hansie  

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 02:29 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Shitty weather? Well, it got down into the 50's one night!

I got caught in a rainstorm once. Otherwise, NO! 

By Dave on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:33 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

pfm supersport upgrades. Tried the recommended Bendix pads, about the same as the Carbon Lorrains in the dry, total crap in the wet, changing back to the CL's.

The pfm's don't use bobbins and there's no chance whatsoever of road crap stopping them floating - they've got the biggest circlips I've ever seen. And they look the business.

oem disks warped at around 12k miles. 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation