Poor max speed

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Poor max speed
By Klingon on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:23 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hi riders,

I've got one problem - thats not true, Ive got more than one but the others don't make me keep awake.

My Mille is slow... she only runs 151 mph and Im sad

A weeks ago I dynoed my bike abd I had this

F:\Mille\dynos\PowerGraph.jpeg

and this one

F:\Mille\dynos\PowerTable.jpeg

Im sorry for the quality but its not my fault...

I want to share my thoughts with you and know your opinions...

1) The power curve looks quite different to other that I have seen about Mille. I think thats is very strange...

2) In my opinion, the power is not completely good for a standar derestricted bike but I think its not very bad neither.

3) I think the engine run down very quickly, take the max power at 9350 and the power falls off very quickly too.I have seen lot of Mille dynos , at Renegade and at other sites, and usually the engine keep the max power from 9000 to 10500 and my engine falls heavily at 9500...

Please if you have time tell me what do you think about these question and what could be happenning...

Thank you for your time. 

By Klingon on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:25 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

And he I'm again...
Power Graph
Power Table 

By Klingon on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 02:28 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Any ideas?  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 12:53 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Interesting that your dyno speed at max power is 246kph, approximately the same as the 151mph you have stated on your thread.
Are you sure the exhaust restrictor has been removed. Your power values look healthy enough its just that they dont hang on at the top end of the rev range all that well. Most Mille graphs Ive seen hold onto the power until about 10000rpm.
Maybe your chip is different as well? 

By Scottaride on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:31 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Check the ram air intakes to see if they have the restrictive tube in them.

Mine make 110.8 SAE Hp in standard form and I've seen 262kph. But I do have a 16 tooth front sprocket.

Cheers

Scott New Zealand  

By Eddie on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 02:31 am:  View Eddie's Profile Search for other posts by Eddie Edit this post

may sound daft but has your Mille been de-resticted properly ie: air box , exhaust an ECU wire cut

ED  

By Mr_Venjer on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 02:25 pm:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

I have seen a few peeps complaining about this. I have the same problem so I will be booking myself in to see Jorge when I get the time.

Kevin  

By Salkhan on Monday, September 30, 2002 - 06:28 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

Sprockets and possible even something small like a new windscreen, along with not properly derestricting the beast, can seem to cause. I've got a ZG windscreen which definitely hurts aeros as well as a 44 tooth rear sprocket and I saw 155 the other day. (164 after some slight drafting! You'd be amazed how much air a Hayabusa disperses for you!)

CHeck it all out! 

By Klingon on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:08 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hi riders,
First of all excuse me for the time to answer you, I was too long without inet connection ( I was working out home and ccant find any cibercafe or like that ).

I think every thing is all right with my bike derestricition I checked the cutted wire, the airbox rextriction is out and the exhaust restriction is out too.

I dont know what exactly happens but looking my power graph I think my bike dies very quickly, at 10000 rpm I only have 89 hp to the crank, I has seen lot of Milles dynos and some of then give tha max power near to 9300 but they keep 120 hp untill 10200 - 10500 and my engine is going down from 9500 and died at 10000...

I hope next spring I could go to see Jorge for a new Low fish and filter and perhaps he could help me...

Mr_Venjer, plese tell what happens with your bike when you know something...

Thanks for all  

By Powermaster on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 12:50 pm:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

That's right Hombre, you better get your Culo, over here and sort that Aprilia out, , I can always go to wonderfull Sevilla, it's a lot cheaper \clipart OLE 

By Scottaride on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 02:14 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Just checked my dyno to compare, and yours is making good power, so no complaints there I hope. But mine doesnt really drop off till 10,400 rpm.

Maybe your Max rev light is set to 9500rpm and the dyno operator got to that rpm and wound of the throttle, thinking it was redline. That might explain the curve (But not your low top speed).

On the road, does your power drop off after 9500 rpm when you rev it out in 3rd or 4th?  

By Klingon on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 03:57 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

More news about this question:
Today I received the bike from the dealer after the 15000 km service and I was surpeised when I checked the bill and can find nothing about the tapped clearance checking.
I went home,I checked some points and I find they have not changed or clean the air filter. I was completely dirty ant the airbox have rest of oil ti the floor.
After that I found the diagnostic connector.I was looking for him a lot of time but it was not near to the ECU as I suppoused, it was in a long wire passind the battery. I connected it and I was surprised about the diagnosis message.

I found the "1" in the dealer mode diagnostic.

and everytime I went him to talk what happens he tell me that everything is OK and that were the real performance of the bike.

I think that means a bad TPS setting so now I´m looking for information to make it myself because my dealer has lost all credibility for me.

I hope this can explain the poor performance...
WHat do you think?

Paco. 

By Geo on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:57 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I had the same problem.
On the first dyno the peak power was at 9500 and it dropped very slightly past that.
A few months later I tried the 1413 chip and went back to the RSC chip but both ran the same:
peak was at just 9,000 and it dropped drastically from there, all the top end was gone.
I hope that you find the reason and let us know, neither my dealer nor I have a clue.  

By Befbever on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 05:53 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Francesco, it would appear that your dealer is erm...not very knowledgable. He should at least check the valve clearances (although they rarely need adjusting) and fit a new air filter.
The oil deposits in the airbox are quite normal as they come from the crankcase breather tube.

But don't worry about the "1" diagnostic too much. Try this: connect the diagnostics connector, twist the throttle and let it snap back. You'll find that the values may change from "1" to "0" or "-1". The TPS is very sensitive but doesn't affect any top speed performance that I know of.

Since your dealer isn't too bothered about replacing an air filter, chances are he doesn't know how to set up an RSV, and that may very well be the answer to your bike's low performance.

Call Jorge, I'm sure he's fluent in Spanish.

By Klingon on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:52 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hey Befbever,
I made as you told me, I twisted the throttle and let it snap back. I repeat that aperation around 14 or 15 times and always shows "1" for me.
I suppouse that in my case the TPS could be a little more out setting than in others.

I think that the injection time is mapped in the eprom like a three coordinates system:
X - the rpm
Y - the TPS position
Z - the injection time
with this basic map the ECU make correction with the air pressure, temperature...

So i think that if thats not imortant for the poor speed perhaps could explain the bluntness of my engine. Other Milles that I had tested are smother than mine.

In each case the problem is the whole situation, a dealer that no check valve clearance, changes or clean air filter. Probably he only changes the oil, and I dude if the changes the oil flter...
And when I told him about the poor performance of my Mille he told me that thats their performance, and no more explanation...

Now I´m looking for other garage to make the maintenance. Unfortunately Renagade is too far from Sevilla ( south of Spain ) to go there as I would like because I completely sure thats the place to go...

Perhaps Jorge knows a good garage near from me. I know he works with Oliver Team and 'Gallo' Riquelme Team and was a few year here...

Jorgeeeeeeeee!!!

During this conversation has just arrived ( it´s true ) a new eprom for me. It's an Arrow one.

This was one of the test that I want to do: change my eprom to see if is there any problem in it. 

By Klingon on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 03:15 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Geo,
before test the new eprom I want to tell you that I´m sorry about you were in the same situation...

I know four, five people with the problem ( you, Alex in Grece, Karlheinz in Germany, Stan in USA, me...)

I would like that all of us inform the others about how is going to everyone and try to find a solution.
I know that we could have different causes with the same problem ( poor performance ) but I think that if we comment all test we made we can show a way to the others...

In my case my bike never had a good performance.
Sometimes I think about a bad assembling of the camshafts or some extrange cuestion like that.

In your case is clear that must be other kind of problem because your bike runs well before.
Something like one electronic sensor that is not working adequately.

In each case I need to find a good garage that can reset my TPS, synchronize the injection and make a CO setting.

And now in going to test my new eprom... 

By Befbever on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 04:02 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Okay, Klingon, TPS on your bike is not as sensitive as on mine. My top speed is 262 kph btw, that's on a Falco...

Just thought of something, might be important but I don't want to worry you too much.

On certain RSV Mille's, the clearance between piston and cylinder wall is far exceeding the tolerances. There must have been some maintenance problem with the machines that make this stuff at the factory. I know of at least one Mille that was performing way below standards, no matter what my dealer tried. He ended up opening the engine and found this problem. He took the engine to the importer who sent it on to Aprilia. Problem is, Aprilia wouldn't acknowledge the problem!
So the dealer took it upon himself to help the client and provided him with new cylinders and pistons and never charged the client for anything.

My dealer told me this story himself and as far as the tolerances go, I believe him. I saw the bike and the opened engine. If only I could remember what year/month this engine was made. I do know that none of the Falco's have this problem as they're all using the old (ie first) RSV engine. You know, the one with the bad clutch.

Hope this helps a bit.

Btw, Sevilla isn't all that far from Portugal is it? Call Jorge, I'm not just saying this.

By Klingon on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 04:46 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Befv you are frighten me,
In my case I goes to the bike shop for a Falco, when I was there the salesman offered to me a new 1999 RSV Mille for only a few money more ( 1200 � more) when the 2002 model was 4200 � more expensive I said not to him but In the way home I was thinking in that swing arm all time and I called him and bought the Mille. Now I think I had done better buying that Falco...

I alse have warped disk and Im waiting a new rotors that after 2 month figthing with them they has promised me.I had to send the whole wheel to prove I had not damage it with a rotor lock. And they know the problem with the rotors...

I hope everything were electronics problems , I have no confidence in the warranty so I´m thinking to pay the repair myself because I think going to warranty I'm only going to lost the time and be other 2 month without my bike and without solutions...

The worst of all is that I love this bike and I dont want to sale it to buy other ...when I can do...  

By Geo on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:06 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

My dealer says that he checked the compression (that's easy to do) and that it was fine.
Up to 9krpms my engine runs normal according to the seat of the pants and the dyno.

Due to an excess of coppers in our area we've had to stop doing high speeds contests and that's the only time that I would notice the top end loss.
I ended up softening my suspension for commuting and taking the time to "smell the roses" instead.  

By Befbever on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:21 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Didn't mean to frighten you, F.

But as I now understand you have a 1999 Mille? No worries then, it's the same engine as the Falco. It's putting out 122 hp crank is it? Depending on which dyno is used, that's not as bad as the bike I was describing (95 hp or so, crank for a de-restricted 2001 Mille!} So I wouldn't worry too much about the engine.

More probable is your dealer doesn't know what he's doing. And btw, I had my rotors changed twice now because of warping. Only took a day. Good dealer I guess...

Reaching a respectable top speed can also depend on how big your body is you know...

By Klingon on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 10:30 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hi Befb,

Touché

I´m big and heavy ( more heavy than big, its the truth), but is very difficult for my say goodbye to that wonderfull cool beers... You know

But with my own body ( I use to wear the same body always I ride...) a 2000 CBR 600 has much more top speed than my Mille and thats really the thing that flame me:

Imagine one day in your fauvorite mountain road passing your friends with their 600 japs everytime that you want to do ... and in the way home they outrun you and starts the first beer in the bar before than you... and you had to hear that your 1000 cc bike is a duck in the Highway...

...really hard for me...

This afternoon after has seen the great Alex Barros MOTOGP victory, I armed with courage and turned the TPS. I was surprised that I had to move a lot. I expect less than 1 mm but I have to move much more than this.

After this I pull the choke, push the start button and the bike started. I was afraid that with that change something more had been changed and the bike doesn't start.

The bike has now a more stable idle and the sound has changed too. Unfortunately the nigth has arrived so I have to wait next weekend to test if the performance has been improved or not with this setting.

Paco. 

By Powermaster on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 01:29 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Paco, I think that you are just going around in circles ending up spending a lot of money.
What you need is someone proper to take do an overall check up on that engine. Call Aprilia in Madrid and ask them to have a look at it, it's not a long trip and I am sure that they would help, tell them that you are thinking of entering the Formula Extreme with a local boy, this may make them get more excited
Another thing, does the bike have an alarm fitted?What make? 

By Klingon on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 02:35 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Jorge,
you probably has reason,as always, about I´m going around in circles.
The question is that I´m waiting that my dealer give me the rotor that after fight a lot he promised me to change. In that moment I´m going to check the bike with the best Aprilia mechanic that I can find in Spain.
Someone told me about Evelio Tejera, he managed the team where Dani Oliver was in Superstock two or three years ago with a Mille . He lives in Euskadi in the north of Spain. Do you know anything about him?
Someo told me good things about Aprimoto in Barcelona....

In each case I had found a completely bad TPS setting in my bike ( Shows 1 code in dealer mode) . I think I had solved that ( now I have a 0 ) but it was completely turned when I find it.

Unfortunately I could not test the bike and I had to wait to the next weekend to go to my parents house where I park the bike to test If that could have influence in the performance...

Is the TPS important in the performance or only improves the rideability?

Thanks for your answer.

Paco  

By Powermaster on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Paco the TPS does nothing when the throttle is fully open. Yes I know Evelio and I know Aprimoto.
Before taking a decision better give me a call and I will put you in the right direction.
It could save you lots of Duros

By Klingon on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 11:58 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Thanks again Jorge,
I'll call you before doing anything more.
Before I'll wait for the rotor replacement and then I'll call you for your advice.

Thanks.

Paco. 

By Rsmilly on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 04:12 am:  View Rsmilly's Profile Search for other posts by Rsmilly Edit this post

intresting stuff after reading these posts i went out to my garage and connected my diagnostics wires ,and number 1 also came up, i dont think this is the problem for your max speed ,mine still managing 160mph with a 16t front sprocket,and is running absolutly fine,it as not been to a dealer for 2 years the last service so it must have been in dealer mode all that time (if that is what the number 1 is for),i do all my own servicing now the warranty as expired, so would nt off given it a second thought until reading this post . 

By Klingon on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:25 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hi Rsmilly,
I think you are in an error, the 1 or -1 dealer code means that your TPS is out of zero. That means that when your throttle is closed the sensor had a positive or negative reading when should be zero.
If everything is ok you should have a zero code.

-1 and 1 only means that the tps setting is not good but not how bad it is.
In my case I had to turn near completely the TPS to the other side.

The effects of these bad settings depends on how bat is your setting. How you need to turned the TPS to have a zero...

Could happens that ( as Befbever point to ) if you are in the limit sometimes could show 1 and other times 0 when you open/close your throttle various times.

I hope this could clrify this points.

Paco.  

By Klingon on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:38 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hi all,
I cant wait more and today I took the bike to go to work.
The way to the work is a nearly urban Highway completely collapsed by traffic.
I have no chance to test the bike max performance, but I have really good feellings .

I only could do 232 km/h because of traffic conditions but the way as the bike accelerate is impresive, tremendous... really GREAT....

Now the bike takes the 230 km/h easily than before makes 210 km/h.

In fact I has never felt the power dip around 4500 rpm and how the performance explode from 6500 rpm until today.

In the way back, the traffic was similar and the night was on so I decided have a careful 150 -160 km/h cruise speed.

I hope this weekend the dyno will be not occupied and I'll make a new dyno to compare and I'll tell you the real new bike max speed ....

I think that the bike know needs a shyncronizing and and idle regulation for a good tune. So still I need to find a good mechanic service ...Jorge I´ll call you before doing anything... and thanks to you again.

In fact thanks to all people than here try to help me or other in troubles , YOU ARE REALLY BIKERS...

I'll tell you more this weekend

Paco. 

By Chuzo on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 07:10 pm:  View Chuzo's Profile Search for other posts by Chuzo Edit this post

"I'll tell you more this weekend"

Take care. No te rompas el culo, eh?  

By Powermaster on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:51 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

never mind el culo, non te rompas la moto

By Dave on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:55 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

and romplaso culo suro moto as often as poss

take three rotax powered 'prillias and hook up diagnostic wire - guaranteed a -1, a 0 and a 1... 

By Befbever on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:24 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

OMG! Dave's become a mecco!

Hide!

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:25 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

that would make a three litre V6. Good thinkin! 

By Hansie on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:30 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Or a 3 litre VVV6? 

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:40 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

making a 3 litre VW!

de·rail
(d-rl)
intr. & tr.v. de·railed, de·rail·ing, de·rails
To run or cause to run off the rails.
To come or bring to a sudden halt 

By Befbever on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:43 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

What's it say about getting one's coat? 

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:53 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

al·ien·ate
(ly-nt, l--)
tr.v. al·ien·at·ed, al·ien·at·ing, al·ien·ates
To cause to become unfriendly or hostile; estrange: alienate a friend; alienate potential supporters by getting their coat.
To cause to become withdrawn or unresponsive; isolate or dissociate emotionally: The numbing labor tended to alienate workers.
To cause to be transferred; turn away: �He succeeded... in getting his coat without even being noticed� (Oscar Wilde).
Law. To transfer (property or a right) to the ownership of another, especially by an act of the owner rather than by inheritance. Eg "Isnt it time you got your coat"

Not to be confused with the phrase "I'll get my goat"  

By Befbever on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:07 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

What's it say about: "There is no spoon" ?

It's a movie quote but Hammy won't tell me which movie it's from.

Friday we're allowed to derail.

I think 

By Crmc33 on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:14 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

'Button Moon' I think it was 

By Befbever on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:19 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Children's program? Spoon family?
MOVIE quote Hammy said. 

By Befbever on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:23 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Ah! Found it! Google
Well, Hammy, take a fork.

By Befbever on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:26 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Meanwhile, Klingon is doing 230 kph on a collapsed highway. Hero!
\clipart {getmegoat} 

By Klingon on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:23 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Hi riders,
First of all and in importance order, I hvae to say that my culo is safe, don't worry !

Second of all, I have dynoed the bike today and here are the results:

Grafica

Tabla

Comparativa

In this one you have compared The bad TPS setting (green) and the better one (red).
The feeling on the road are much better than dynos can show... 

By Klingon on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:25 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Ok again
-Grafica- 

By Klingon on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:28 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

One more

-Grafica- 

By Klingon on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:32 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

The data

-Tabla- 

By Klingon on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:37 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

And a comparative graphic made in Excell with the tables data.

Green - Bad TPS Setting (1 code)
Red - Good TPS setting (0 code)

-Comparativo-

After this run we made a new one, the bike offers 1.2 HP more but the printer died. I hope anothe day take a copy... 

By Klingon on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:41 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Next Sunday probably I should know the new max speed...

Paco 

By Geo on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 03:59 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Ay Caramba, that's quite a jump for just the TPS.
You're sure that's the only difference ( it took me an hour just to find out in the shop manual how to check it)  

By Klingon on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 01:37 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Geo,
the only thing I have touched is the TPS.
I know that now I have to shyncro the cylinders, check the CO and tune the idle speed. I dont know how to do these things. When I receive the rotor that they have promised me to change under guarantee I´ll call Jorge and I'll do in the way he show me.

But, as you can see, a stupid electronic setting could change the performace radically.

I has not made any other chance as can, full exhaust, airfilter or airbox, only I has setup correctly the TPS.

Good luck Geo.  

By Befbever on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 05:42 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

So if the TPS is set somewhere around zero (being sensitive it can jump either way), the bike should run fine.
If however the TPS is this far off (as it was in your case), these problems arise.

Here's a quote from the training manual:

Quote:

The injection-ignition system is of the "alpha/n, D/J" type, in which motor speed and throttle position are used as the main parameters for the quantity of aspirated air; knowing the quantity of air, the fuel level is dosed as a function of the performance required.

Other system sensor atmospheric pressure, air temperature, water temperature allow basic settings to be corrected in the event of specific conditions.
In addition, motor speed and throttle angle allow the optimum spark, advance to be calculated under any operating condition.

Whether my theory is correct or not, remains irrelevant to the fact that your TPS should be at least close to zero. Especially if your bike has just been serviced.
No? 

By John1000 on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 10:48 am:  View John1000's Profile Search for other posts by John1000 Edit this post

Probably nothing to do with this case but I was chatting to a chap that told me that fitting certain alarms can sometimes effect the top speed.

By Klingon on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:56 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Befb, I think you are allrigth.
The codes -1,0,1 only tell you if the TPS is turned or not. In some case ( your case I suppouse ) if the TPS give you -1,0,1 could be that it´s very sensitive and nothing happens.
In mi case the TPS was completely turned, so far from the good positon so I had a really bad performance.

Today I performanced 252 km/h but the bike was still accelarating, that is enough for the traffic conditions. But most important or as important as the max speed is that all middle has been filled with good hp.
This morning riding on my fauvorite mountain road the bike handles softer, I can open faster than ever inside the corner. Before the transition with the throttle closed to opening was completely sharp and now it is really soft.

Last weeks I had to entry the corners 1 gear less and open around 7000 /7500 to go with my friends but thats makes a sharp riding. This morning I can entry one gear upper around 6000 - 6500 rpm with the same acceleration and much more easily to drive the bike in corner and find a good corridor to overtake my friends.

John1000, I had no alarm fitted in my bike, but probably you are allright because Jorge ask me about that...

More about my dealer, as more of you know my bike was serviced 2 or 3 weeks ago, yesterday I was cleaning a greasing the chain and I find 2 loosen nuts at my rear sprocket!
I cant understand how an official Aprilia Dealer could be a dissaster like this....

Have a nice day 

By Rsmilly on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:24 pm:  View Rsmilly's Profile Search for other posts by Rsmilly Edit this post

KLINGON thank for putting me right in the post earliers this week,once the tank was lifted i found the tps sensor and ajusted it.
it only needed about 1mm movement to get it back 0
as for aprilia dealers and mechanics they aint much better in the u.k.i m sure because they can do an oil change they think they ve got there right to call theselves machanic my local dealer could nt manange an oil change i had to drain half a litre out when i got homeso as you can imagine i was that pissed of i now try to do all maintanance and repairs myself a least i no its done properly then 

By Klingon on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:14 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Youre wellcome Rsmilly,
Unfortunately there are pirates in every place, but you have a lot of Mille users there, here we are only a lttle minority. If I were in your case I'll take my bike and I will go to see Jorge for a good servicing. I dont know him but I´m sure that he loves the bikes, the Milles and he knows a lot to make the best tunning. In my case I'm thinking to go to see him for my next holidays ( in May or June ) but unfortunately that means a lot of money for a one week tryp. My bike's performance has been improved a lot but I would like go to England to see Jorge for servicing... If i can do...

Have a nice day.
Paco.  

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:38 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Jorge loves Mille's thats for sure!

can't imagine why... 

By Geo on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 04:22 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I adjusted my TPS today -didn't want to be left out of the fun.
Spent one hr trying to find the instructions in the manual. Aprilia calls it a Throttle valve?
It's in the Fuel section of the manual, damn this manual is confusing!
Wasted one hour trying to take the tail out grrr.
The maual shows the wire but doesn't mention exactly where it was (hint not inside the tail!!).
Reading was -1 no matter how many times I tried it.
Ok lifted the tank wasted one hour trying to figure out why none of the Allen wrenches worked.
Duh, in spite of what the manual said it's not an Allen but a Torx bolt duhhhhh!.
Go to the store and buy a set to Torx and adjust it adjust it.
Push the bike out on the patio and start the engine, it runs rough and stalls a few times.
After it warms up I realised that the Iddle speed is now much lower, I adjust it up and all seems fine. If the rain clears by tomorrow I'll take it out and see what happens.
Adjusting the TPS is a 1/2 hr job, it only took me all day.  

By Befbever on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:56 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

How long have you had this bike?
Torx set: got them, don't need to buy them.
Diagnostics wire: easy to find, it's in the ECU box.
Adjusting the TPS is a 5 minute job. Takes me five minutes.  

By Nitroargi on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 04:49 am:  View Nitroargi's Profile Search for other posts by Nitroargi Edit this post

Hello Befbever...

If it's not much of a trouble can you please explain in details the procedure of adjusting the TPS??? Upload some pictures perhaps?
I got a little confused...

Thank you in advance,
Regards Nitro. 

By Powermaster on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 06:19 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

DON'T TOUCH IT NITRO  

By Geo on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 07:31 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Not in the ECU box on my bike, but behind the right side mesh panel,
And the manual said ALLEN and showed a picture of an ALLEN bolt.
Where they're located I can't see them and had to go by touch.
And I'm crap meachanic!!!!  

By Klingon on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 10:53 am:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Not in the ECU in my bike, it was behind the rigth mesh panel too. A few times in the past I'll try to find it near the ECU but I cant find it.
I hope your test was good.
In my case (1 code) the bike was extremely rich, in your case I think is worst because you was going with the bike quite lean (and we know what could happen... )and probably never has done a full open to the throttle for the sensor...
In my case I know that the bike was not completely tuned because, If you see the graphic, all Mille dynos that I had seen makes a peak around 9500 and after that matain the power until 10500 and my Mille still falls down very quickly... In each case I´m very happy with the improvement and I think I´m in the right way...
Good Luck.

Paco  

By Befbever on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:56 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sorry, dudes, I have a Falco. You know, the goodlooking kinda RSV?

Nitro, go to www.geocities.com/sl_mille/ if you want to know more. Since you're close to Renegade, make an appointment if you've two left hands.
Wassamatter, Powermaster?

People, for the record: unless your TPS is as far off as Klingon's is, there's no need to change it!

Hope this helps. 

By Powermaster on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:15 pm:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Quote:

Since you're close to Renegade

Unless I have moved, Mayo country is a lot closer than Greece
Wassamatter you Falco Chief?  

By Befbever on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:32 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oi, you Millie chief!

I know Nitro is Greek, but I thought he was in the UK now .
For some reason I thought that.
Dunno why. My mind goes sometimes.

You know what that's like, don't you?

Remember that e-mail you once sent me? It said "keep thinking". But we were right and you were wrong!
ROFLMAO!!

By Geo on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:15 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

First post-TPS ride.
Much, much smoother less.....agricultural.
Best way to describe it doesn't feel like it's lugging anymore.
It must have deteriorated over time because I forgot this is how the bike originally ran.
Can't comment on power because it was all bumper to bumper traffic and seat of the pants is meaningless under these conditions.
If anything it "feels" slower but I think it's just because the harshness is gone.
The way the cops have clamped down lately I don't foresee a top speed run any time soon.
Anyway I'm a happy camper, the smoother running with my having reduced the compression dampings and the RSV is again a daily ride instead of the hardcore track weapon that it's been lately.
For the record the diagnostic read a constant minus before the adjustment.  

By Klingon on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:55 pm:  View Klingon's Profile Search for other posts by Klingon Edit this post

Happy about you Geo,
I cant imagine why the TPS sensor could has been changed in your bike...
In my case I remembered the TPS was covered by sealing wax. So that should be the factory setting bad completely wrong...
In your case is more difficult to understand why happens that...

Good luck and waiting your comments about performance...

Paco  

By Geo on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:25 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

hmmm I don't think that there was any sealing wax on mine, but I don't see why the mechanic would have changed the setting either.
I don't think that I'll be able to tell anything about the power soon. The only over the road test that I trust is a top speed run and the cops...
I don't put much faith in the "seat of the pants", well we'll see.
Thanks for the tip Paco  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation