Looking for comfort in the wrong places

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Looking for comfort in the wrong places
By Geo on Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 10:30 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Does anyone know for sure what the fork springs are on a USA 01 RSV Mille (base)?
I'm considering trying a slightly softer spring, maybe 0.9 or 0.95.
The pavement around here is not smooth and I'm tired of taking a beating at lower speeds -under 100mph. It's gotten to the point where I don't feel like riding unless I'm in full "GO" mode.
yeah I know about the sag, I got some 33mm now.  

By Scottaride on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 05:21 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

If its the new shape RSV, then the fork springs are rated 1kg, but I doubt going for softer springs is the solution, unless you weigh 70kg or less.

Have you tried winding back the front compression damping (Bottom of fork). Mine was very choppy in standard settings, even though I weigh 88kg (195lbs). I actually increased the preload, but reduced the compression and the rebound damping, and now its fine.

Also try reducing rear compression as it can transfer to the front.

Hope that helps.

Scott  

By Geo on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 07:22 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Thanks Scott.
I've got 7500 miles on it and yes I've tried more preload , less compression etc.
The way I got it now it handles fantastic at high speeds but for commuting it's a bit hardcore (I'm 51 and I really feel it!).
I went on the Race tech web site today and I picked : 200lb rider / 410 bike/ 35lbs gear and fuel/ aggresive rider/ street and their answer was 0.87kg (rounds out to 0.9).
That meshes with my experience on the Superhawk (Firestorm) which weights some 20lbs more.
I tried Ohlins 1.0kg fork springs on it and they were fine at higher speeds or on very smooth pavement anytime, but it was oversprung for around town -we do have bumby roads here. I ended up compromising with 0.9s which were more..well, "versatile".
I don't have any plans for track daze, otherwise I'd live it well enough alone.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation