Cleaning the Black

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Cleaning the Black
By Jol on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 06:21 am:  View Jol's Profile Search for other posts by Jol Edit this post

I was wondering if anyone has any tips of cleaning the matt black body work (my Mille is all lovely matt black).

I am slightly hesitant in using a normal bike finishing polish as they tend to shine the finish. On my past bike I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish, which worked a treat but the bike was shiny to begin with.

So should I use this, or the normal Mr Sheen, or just stick to the usual WD40 polished.

A bit of a vain post I know!.  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 06:45 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Mr Sheen or Honda polish is the stuff Ive heard of.

Vim and scotchbrite also works well for removing baked on flies ....and paint

I hope this helps a lickle bit.  

By Cph69 on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 06:57 am:  View Cph69's Profile Search for other posts by Cph69 Edit this post

I Just use hot soapy water for the Matt. and a pair of the old girls tights for the flys (I do put them back after). The tights not the flys. There not as harsh as scotchbrite and do the same job. I dont use polish as I dont want a Matt/shine. Also anything silicone based can, over time, react with the paint. (So Im told).  

By Jol on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 07:17 am:  View Jol's Profile Search for other posts by Jol Edit this post

I'll try both methods and get back; the issue I had is that the last time I washed in soapy water, i didn't have any chamois (sp?) clothes to dry with so there were deposists of water dry smears.

Not terrible but still a bit pants.  

By Nick on Wednesday, September 11, 2002 - 09:10 am:  View Nick's Profile Search for other posts by Nick Edit this post

Just use water and a sponge to get the muck off, chamois it down and personally I give it a quick squirt of Pledge furniture polish.

I've used this many times on my bike and the finish still looks like new.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation