Will a PC3 help with a Rene Airkit & Pipes or not?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Will a PC3 help with a Rene Airkit & Pipes or not?
By Scottaride on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:44 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

I was about to buy a PC3 for my RSV, but after reading the "Renegade Products-a Customers View" I'm a bit confused if it is a worthwhile addition or not. Will I get better results from using a PC3 and getting it custom mapped or will the Rene chip be best?

What do you think?

It�s just that I always thought a PC3 could be perfectly mapped to my bike, while generic chips from other countries are just that�generic!

Im in New Zealand and we run 96 octane unleaded fuel here, plus it�s a little warmer than the UK, so I wasn�t sure how the Renegade chip could perform better than a PC3?

I may have misinterpreted what was written, but the impression I got from Jorges comments was that it probably wasnt worth getting a PC3, and I'd be better of using the Chip supplied with the pipe.

I know it would be easy to do a dyno run and compare, but buying a PC3 and then finding out that Jorges chip kicks its Butt would be an expensive and bloody annoying excercise!

Help? 

By Powermaster on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 12:55 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Scott, you are correct, you are confused
First off you must understand the concept of the PC, I feel that a lot of people do not understand it's basics and what it's purpose. To answer your question, the answer is. Yes it would run better.
To make you even more confused, probably not with our Eprom. Unless!

I will try to explain later. Got to go.

By Mr_Venjer on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 03:18 pm:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

ok, someone explain. I too am baffled by the PCIII and what it does. If I get a custom map which only works well under the exact same conditions and cannot react to changes what is its point ?? Rich, am I barking up the wrong tree ??

Kevin  

By Geo on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 08:06 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I think that there's major factor about PCs that's not being taken into consideration:for many bikes out there replacing the chip is NOT an option, the PC is the only way to go then.
That's the reason that they are so common.

I've read, heard and been told from many sources that the PC are nowhere as good or fast as the latest CPUs.
I witnessed a friend of mine dynoing his Zx12R with a pc, TBR can and TBR map and finding out that PC cost him 10hps on the top. Another friend has it on his 954 and it keeps on droppin the map, when that happens it reverts to the default one and runs terrible. He disconects it then until he can download a new map.
So in my experience they are not great and chips are more reliable, however in many bikes sold today there's no choice.
Usually there's very little power gain with a PC )the SP1 being an exception) but riders buy it mostly to correct the lean condition at low to mid rpms that's there to limit emissions.
IMO, for a SP-2 or 954 the PCs are an imperfect, yet must have item, but on 'prilia or Duc it will cause more problems than good.
IMHO of course  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 11:26 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I tried to fit a PC to my Falco last night.

...but the 17" monitor wouldnt fit on the handlebars!

genius eh! 

By Capt_Coconut on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 12:10 am:  View Capt_Coconut's Profile Search for other posts by Capt_Coconut Edit this post

mmm... i thought about this and whether to get involved but... here is my opinion
IF the manufacture (rene for example) spend R&D time on thier systems and then provide a chip to compliment them then that is to be applauded. But that chip may not be perfect for everyones bike as they all seem to vary slightly a PC3 can be used to genericly alter a fuel injecter map to suit YOUR bike at the time of mapping. The PC does not alter ign as I belive the chips can so its not ideal but for the people who buy exhausts OTHER than Rene or Tigcraft who do provide chips then thats all you have if you want to play around apart from loadsa chips from Arrow, RSC etc to try on a dyno which I have found (by Dyno) to be not much diff to std. As for the last comment of them being "more trouble than its worth" well I am glad I got mine as the bike and system i put on worked better with it then without and I got a map from the website which worked for me and my bike (with Rene airkit)
No doubt if i lived down sarf again I would go see uncle jorge and he would sort me out, but its a bloody long way to go for a set up.
The custom map option again is a good aspect but again it costs in time effort and tyres to go to a proper mapper and for the terminally wealthy fine but I will have mine done some time but until then I will be content with my PC3 and std chip rene airkit and full system (not Rene)
I thank you
CC  

By Geo on Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 07:16 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

So how much better did you do with the PC than with the various chips that you tried?  

By Capt_Coconut on Friday, September 06, 2002 - 07:49 am:  View Capt_Coconut's Profile Search for other posts by Capt_Coconut Edit this post

4 hp at the wheel over std eprom which was found to be the "best" of the ones i tried.
(I gather from the msges on various forums that with a slip on then the std gives a better *feeling* of low mid power.) Havent tried the Rene eprom or exhaust so wouldnt comment on them, but with my full system the std eprom felt wrong(too harsh?) and made the bike a pig to ride smooth, but it is a race system not recommended for the road so cant expect miricles but with the PC its helped loads and i'm happy.
Note...one map i tried felt ace but run it on the dyno and it was 17.5/1 air/fuel (bit rich?) and only did 100 to the tank, so I wouldnt advise fitment and map hopping without at least a run up on the dyno to be sure you dont fug it all up !!!  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation