Front tire profile

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Front tire profile
By Geo on Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:27 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Has anyone here tried a 120/65 or a 120/50 front?
The reason that I asked is the 207RRs were great but they cupped too fast. I replaced them with BT012s, great grip but a bit stiff and they change directions very easily, too easily it's work to keep a steady line in the fast sweepers.
I was thinking about replacing them with Sportecs but afriend of mine replaced the 207s with a set of Sportecs on his SP-1 and said that he had similar results, faster steering but harder to hold it steady while scrapping the pegs.
Would a lower profile work to calm it down without any adverse effects?  

By Russ on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 04:10 am:  View Russ's Profile Search for other posts by Russ Edit this post

The lower the profile, the quicker the turning effect. I had a Pirelli Dragon Evo Corsa 120/65 on my RSV, and replaced both tyres with a set of sportecs. The front was changed to a 120/70. this slowed the steering marginally, but allowed the bike to hold a better line, as it was no where as near as erratic in steering. The sportecs give good feedback, but some people I know with GSX-R's etc like them, some others prefer 208's or 207 RR's. I would suggest a 120/70 and see how that goes. It made a remarkable difference in the handling of my bike...  

By Befbever on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:06 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I had the reverse effect, Russ. Switched from a 70 to a 60, but the same brand & model tyre. The bike was now much more stable and I knew the bike would do the line I picked. Not so with the 70. A bit slower on the steering, the 60 was.
This was on a Thundercat btw. 

By Geo on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 02:55 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

You can't compare results when you switch brands
BTW both the RRs and BT012 were 120/70, the difference came from the tires themselves.
My latest guess is that there's another factor to consider.
If the lower profile has a shorter sidewall and the same crown (rounded part) it will turn in faster -same tire only smaller.
But if the sidewall is the same height and the radius is flatter to get the lower profile it will then turn in slower.
I've got to take a look at the actual tires to see where the difference is.
G  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation