Need feedback on the static sag on your RSV ?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Need feedback on the static sag on your RSV ?
By Scottaride on Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 05:23 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Im after feedback on your rear static sag on your 2001/2002 RSV bikes. How much does your bike sag under its own weight?

My NEW bike has almost 25 mm unladen sag (without rider) at the rear, and it goes to 45mm with me on it. The spring preload is wound up to almost its firmest and is much firmer than standard and I weigh 85kg (190lbs). This seems like way to much sag and the only other Mille I could compare it to had 12mm sag and yet its preload was still standard (and much sorter).

The shop mechanic said it was fine as long as the bike rides ok, but that seems like a warrenty cop-out to me.

Help.... give me some feedback so I can compare.

Thanks  

By Rca on Friday, August 30, 2002 - 12:38 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

If you weigh 170 pounds or less the stock spring is OK, if you weigh more fit a firmer spring. The other mille you compared it to already had a firmer spring.  

By Scottaride on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 01:05 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Hey Russel, what makes you think the other bike I compared it to had a firmer spring fitted? Are you psychic? It certainly looked an identical spring to the one on my bike!

I also checked it against 3 other 00 model RSVs this weekend. None sagged as much as my new one. 

By Scottaride on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 01:06 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Hey Russel, what makes you think the other bike I compared it to had a firmer spring fitted? Are you psychic? It certainly looked an identical spring to the one on my bike!

I also checked it against 3 other 00 model RSVs this weekend. None sagged as much as my new one, and remember, I'm talking about static sag without rider weight. 

By Geo on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 01:58 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I have a 01 base RSV and weight 200lbs, I never measured the static sag only with me on board. The bike was delivered with 40mm of sag in back (and 27 in front) I had no problem reducing the rear laden sag to 33mm, as a matter of fact a few thousand miles later I'm think about adding a little sag to soften the ride.
One of us may not be very accurate in his measurements.......hmm that may be me.
Geo  

By Scottaride on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 02:45 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

33 laden sag is OK, mine is almost 33mm UNladen The shop says they will chack spring, but that it will be within tolerences as they've never had a problem with a spring before. I told them that it doesnt matter what measurement they get on the spring when it is out of the shock, the bottom line is that it sags way to much under the bikes weight, let alone with me on. Personally I think it is not acceptable for a new bike.

Hence, I need feedback from everyone as ammo to tell the shop if they try and tell me my sag is 'normal' .
Thanks 

By Russ on Sunday, September 01, 2002 - 08:26 pm:  View Russ's Profile Search for other posts by Russ Edit this post

This is my second RSV, well after you get hit by a car, thats about all.....
I have had a similar problem, thats why I have opted for a heavier rear spring, now it performs a hell of a lot better..

I found the PB article on the RSV setup....Try it if your game, but I wouldn't.

Rear

Preload 31 mm thread showing above top locking ring
Rebound turned all the way in
Comp turned all the way in.

A problem with no rebound damping is the shock will continue to compress down, and is not allowed to rebound back, and your relying on the spring. However, if the back end packs down too
much, when the spring unloads, there is a very good chance of a high side.........

Front

Preload 1 line showing
Rebound 1/2 from full in
Comp 1/2 from full in
Ride height 14 mm of fork leg protruding through top yoke.

These changes are fairly radical, and really tip the bike on its nose, which will give sharper steering. Just rememeber that a lot of time and effort has gone into developing the RSV, as with any modern day bike. So start with only small changes, before opting for a major change such as this. In your manual, it has race track setups, and they are no where near as stiff as these that PB have published. and opt for a balanced setup. That setup loads the front up too much......
All I could recommend, is set your sag both front and rear first of all, and regaurdless of what some so called experts say, this is the starting point. If you can't get your sag, both static and loaded (race)....you will need to consider changing parts, so you can. Don't exceed the min or max for winding on preload, as this has been set for a reason, as a spring can only compress so far before it fails to operate as it was designed. This is why I went for a heavier spring...

Good luck...

Russ......M  

By Rca on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:53 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Scott,

I'm not phsycic, 'its elementary my dear watson'. You say the other bike you saw has std preload and 12mm static sag. My 2000 RSVR with a 150 KGCM spring (the stock is a 140 KGCM), with Std preload also has a static sag of 12mm.

Hence my belief that the other one you saw has the same spring as mine i.e. a 150.

The springs may look similar, but check the numbers printed on the spring you should see they contain either a 140 (Stock), a 150 (Fat bastard road rider spring or average weight racer) or a 160 (Big fat bastard road rider, or if layed off the Big Macs and donuts I might eventually win a race racer)

Russell  

By Geo on Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 02:59 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Where should I look for that number? I don't see one on my rear spring (US 01 RSV)  

By Rca on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 01:24 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Geo,

Sorry, keep forgetting, not everyones got an R or the Ohlins rear shock. Guess this Sherlock needs to go back to Police Academy..

Russell 

By Geo on Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 05:01 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Somehow I can't imagine the Sachs shock ending up with different spring rates, at least not on the same production year.
I wonder I Scottaride measured his static sag right?  

By Scottaride on Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 03:45 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Hi Geo
Yep, I measured the static sag right. I took the measurement from the top of the swingarm at the rear, up vertically to the bottom of the 'tie-down' knob under the rear seat couling.

First measurment was at full extension with no weight on the rear. the second measurement was just the weight of the bike. Subtract one from the other and there we have static sag. I took the ave of 3 readings.

And it sags big time.

The shop took out the shock to measure the spring, but then couldnt get the specs of what it should be, so couldnt tell if it was ok or not. They found two O rings blown at the top of the shock, so fixed them. Then told me I shouldnt have been fiddling with the preload and should have left it at stock settings....then tried to charge me for the repair on the shock. Hot suprisingly I said "Get stuffed". Then they told me my warrenty was void on the bike because I changed the oil on my bike prior to the first service. I told them I always change the oil after the first 100km, then twuce as often as reccommended. We had "words" in the shop and they eventually agreed to let the warrenty stand.
Tossers! 

By Geo on Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 07:35 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

The rear shock failed because you had fresh oil in the engine??????
When my shock failed the shop tried to make the mechanic pay for it, they were saying that he damaged it.
When I heard that I dragged both the general manager and the service manager in front of the mechanic and I set them straight on that one.
Their problem is that Aprilia is lousy at making good on warranty work.
My problem is that I have a fine Italian machine that's been worked on by a guy that repairs lawnmowers, generators, waverunners, ATVS and 3 brands of bikes.
They do crummy work on Hondas too BTW......  

By Scottaride on Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 08:50 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

I know how you feel. It's bloody hard to find a mechanic that actually KNOWS the RSV. Most are just 'giving it a shot'! to see if they can tune or fix it. Our ONLY local dealer doesnt even have a service manual for the 01/02 model. Hows that for sad! 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation