Does size matter?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Does size matter?
By Scottaride on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 08:02 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Will the volume of the muffler chamber make much (or any) difference to performance? Or will a larger volume muffler just generally be more quiet?
Im assuming both options flow as 'straight through' pipes.

Any thoughts?  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:20 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Different gas speeds would flow thru the pipes of different diameters / volumes. This would give different noise levels and type (bass and treble 'thrap'). Big bore race cans are genrally bassier than narrow bore ones but I guess it depends on other things to such as type of end cap, whether a reverse cone or megaphone is built in. But beware cos as usual I just made all this up as I went along.
Ask the Powermaster nicely and Im sure he will fill you in 

By Diablo_Mille_R on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 11:20 pm:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

Yes - all dimensions of an exhaust system change the engine charateristics, inlcuding if/when pipes siamese, dia and length of headers and cans etc etc. I'm sure Jorge can teach us all a bit about this, but from my experience longer pipes and smaller diameters give bottom and mid power, shorter and larger diameter give more top end. As with everything its all a game of comprimise.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation