Horrific 4500 mile service costs.

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Horrific 4500 mile service costs.
By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 04:06 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Right. Here is a breakdown of my invoice:
4 x labour @ £38.00 (hour)
.25 x labour @£38.00 (road test)
4 x Silkolene @ £5.95
1 x O ring oil filter @ £4.50
1 x oil filter @ £7.92
4 x NGK plug @ £3.49
1 x washer @ £1.06
1 x cyl-assy, clutch @ £54.51
1 x sundries @ £2.50

Total inc vat £320

The cyl-assy, clutch was the master cylinder "seal" which had worn according to the service guy.

Have I been taken for a ride. I will post the name of the service centre after your responses

Thanks

Kevin  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 04:11 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

My 4500 mile service was £188 from Motosport wareham, and this was full price no discount as I bought the bike elsewhere. Also that was including full brake and clutch fluid replacement. You've been had mate.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 04:48 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Almost 50% of it labour too!

Is 38quid an hour the industry norm for bike servicing??
Did they show/give you the old parts? (not incl oil n filter!)  

By Scotty on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 05:48 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

I have had services for the Falco that have been around that expensive...
Will dig the invoices out to check specifically for the 4.5K one.

Last service supposedly minor at 14k was £270... I have not had a cheap service yet!  

By Rca on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 06:38 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

The bill is twice what I would have expected for that service, but you did have the plugs and the clutch master cylinder seal replaced. For the amount of work done the price seems about right, the only question mark is whether the seal and the plugs really needed replacing.  

By Salkhan on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 06:56 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

Crickey!

I'm glad I don't live in England at the moment.

What's an "O-Ring Oil Filter"

And they CHARGE for the test ride?!?!?!?

Geeeeezus...  

By Cph69 on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 08:03 am:  View Cph69's Profile Search for other posts by Cph69 Edit this post

My 4500 mile service is coming up in Sept and I was quoted £320 for it when I had the first service done. The dealer showed me a price list for the Mille services, and that came from Aprilia. (alledgedly). Any Jap bike i've had, has been serviced every 6 months (to maintain the warrenty)and over a 12 month period I have paid roughly the same price.  

By Nick on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 08:14 am:  View Nick's Profile Search for other posts by Nick Edit this post

Got quoted £225 for 4500 mile service

Yours does seem a bit pricey but to look on the bright side as long as all the tasks have been performed well and your pride and joy has been looked after whats a few quid??  

By Cph69 on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 08:20 am:  View Cph69's Profile Search for other posts by Cph69 Edit this post

Yeah Nick, I was quite happy to accept the Bill of £320 but now I'm not so sure, if I can save upto £100 else where it's bugging me a bit. But like you say they have always done me well in the past and I've never been disapointed.  

By Salkhan on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:29 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

I think what's surprising me is the 4 hours of labor and (like I said earlier) the charge for the road test.

I just had a 5000 mile service done and It cost me (quick math) about £144 (or $215ish USD).

Maybe being on good terms with the dealership is a good thing after all? 

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:43 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Boys, part of me feels sick in my stomach that I gave the people my hard earned, the other part feels that if they did what they said then who cares.

Its the fact that others have been quoting £130 - £200, and they did not do the forking fork oil either.

My violent side is trying to rear its ugly head, but I am trying to resist. I don't know if I can keep it back.

Kevin 

By Aprilliag on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 01:02 pm:  View Aprilliag's Profile Search for other posts by Aprilliag Edit this post

You were Robbed mate I had the 4500 service done last week at St'Neots Motorcycles they did an excellent job even adjusting a steering damper i had fitted elsewhere,Used Castrol Superbike oil and cleaned all the brake calipers and changed the cluch fluid they even turned my Scotoiler down coz they said it was putting out to much (coz of warmer weather that week)all for £171 quid i conplained that I thought that was steep but looking at yours I clearly don't know when I'm well off.  

By Cecilthecat on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 02:14 pm:  View Cecilthecat's Profile Search for other posts by Cecilthecat Edit this post

Gary

How's the bike looking now that its finished ?

Simon  

By Richandall on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 03:01 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Bikewise, Abingdon estimates my Falco's second service (4,500 miles) at £150 labour and £200 plus VAT with parts. Which checks out.
Also, no probs with stamping the logbook if I leave on the RSC's, rene airkit, 15t etc. Only drawback is no dyno & diagnostics so can't find out if all's well on rwbhp. Funny that, thought all shops had one but not in Oxfordshire anyway (travelling there September for Falco service & parental visitation).
- Rich  

By Mr_Venjer on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 04:58 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

I'll absorb the costs then and shut up. It seems that its a London thing according to the EZ board.

The bike feels tremendous though.

Bring on the next track day (Monday bank holiday, 2 weeks time, Rockingham, secret camera hooked up to bike .)

The big bad, mighty Mr Venjer ! Chat bout !! 

By Cecilthecat on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 05:32 am:  View Cecilthecat's Profile Search for other posts by Cecilthecat Edit this post

Kev

I'll see you at Rockingham as I'm going with a mate on a Honda NC15.

Simon  

By Richandall on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 06:39 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Good decision MrVenger. We get London service prices in E Anglia too - I was quoted £350 by C Clarke for the 4,500 mile one. Must be somehow linked to rocketing house prices...I hear it's cheaper to go to France - the mechanics are better too and since HM Customs & Excise got a legal punch on the nose you can bring in all that duty free also. A good reason perhaps for buying that ridiculous cruiser I think I want (til I try riding it down our leafy winding roads).

- Rich

By Befbever on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 07:24 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

I hear it's cheaper to go to France - the mechanics are better too

Is that France, planet Earth you're talking about?  

By Aprilliag on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 07:36 am:  View Aprilliag's Profile Search for other posts by Aprilliag Edit this post

Simon bike is looking....Not bad...
which track are you doing at rockingham and who's running it I may be up for another run round if I can get in.Gary  

By Richandall on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 07:55 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

France is indeed on the third rock from the sun, or so I hear. Which rock are you on Bef - Brighton?

- Rich

By Befbever on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 08:59 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Homer's Rock, Chios, Greece.  

By Richandall on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 09:31 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

That would be the Daskalopetra then? Or are we talking the Simpsons?

Óôï Íïìü ×ßïõ õðÜãïíôáé ôá íçóéÜ ×ßïò, ØáñÜ êáé Ïéíïýóåò. Ç ×ßïò åßíáé ôï ìõñïâüëï íçóß ôçò ìáóôß÷áò. Óôçí ×ßï æïõí ðåñßðïõ Üíèñùðïé. Ðïëëïß ×éþôåò åßíáé Ýìðïñïé êáé íáõôéêïß. Ôï íçóß ðáñÜãåé åëéÝò, åóðåñéäïåéäÞ, áìýãäáëá, óôáöýëéá êáé äçìçôñéáêÜ.

By Befbever on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 01:46 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Petros Homerou, if I'm not mistaken. The original Homeros used to talk to his listeners from that rock. I stood on top of the rock, overlooking the bay of Chios and found the fact that the English word for Homeros was very funny, hence the Simpsons analogy.

But I might have been the only one.  

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 04:12 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Gary, its with Motorcycle city via Track Time Promotions. It is meant to be a track day virgin job but if you have done a couple already they are cool with that.

its on Bank Holiday Monday and costs £129. Just booked and they were 2 thirds full.

Hope to see you down there. See you there Cecil.

Kevin  

By Aprilliag on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 07:02 am:  View Aprilliag's Profile Search for other posts by Aprilliag Edit this post

Wouldn't you just know it the one date i cannot make is bank holiday monday (ah NUTS)have fun you lot hope to meet up some other time.  

By Eddie on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 10:36 am:  View Eddie's Profile Search for other posts by Eddie Edit this post

sounds like DAYTONA MOTORCYCLES too me has that ring about it ????

ED  

By Charlie on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 06:14 am:  View Charlie's Profile Search for other posts by Charlie Edit this post

well I've paid as follows:

600 miles - £140, de-restrict, no valve check, London Aprilia Centre RIP
4500 - £210, valve check, no adjust, Bracken
9000 - £200 ish, Brands Hatch Performance, included front pads and fitting, no valve check
14000 - £290, valve check, no adjust, Brands hatch Performance
19000 - £95, no valve check, brands hatch Performance

so I reckon you've been had, unfortunately. The interim non valve check service is basically just an oil change, imho  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation