Airbox Rubber Boot needs to be removed to get more power.

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Airbox Rubber Boot needs to be removed to get more power.
By Scottaride on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 06:37 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

I have a 2001 RSV (the same as the 2002 model). Im in New Zealand so we may not have all the restrictions you have.

But anyway, I opened the ram air tubes today to remove the restricting internal tubing that I'd read was inside. It wasnt there, but I did notice that the rubber 'boot' that connects the airbox to the frame did seem to have a rather small opening (and doesnt seal well).

Is this the rubber boot you are talking about that needs changing? It was reasonably soft rubber, and when looking at it from through the opened-up air-intake tube, it semed to be a one-peice unit.

Is this the boot that you are replacing with the one from the 00 RSV? Can it be simply removed and rubber sealing tape used?

Any thoughts?

Cheers. Scott  

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 09:41 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

You know, Jorge told me replacing the Falco unit (and probably a California version) with the Mille piece was worth 4HP! I don't know about removing it, though.  

By Myapriliarsv on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 03:44 pm:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

Racer....I have the same damn boot in my 02' Mille. I spoke to Ed from the AprilaiForum (where I ordered the 00' rubber boot today.

It seems that the US was busting Aprilia's chops in regards to the easy derestriction of the Mille that they made some changes. Ed informed me that only the Mille has this new smaller restricted boot (like in the Futura)...but I informed him of yours. he said he has yet to see a Falco (including 02') with this restricted boot....must be all RSV and all California bikes got the shaft for 02'.  

By Myapriliarsv on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 03:45 pm:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

Quote:

I spoke to Ed from the AprilaiForum

so i cannot spell aprilia  

By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 08:34 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Details, details. My dealer has ordered one of the boots, I guess they cost about $40. So, with Aprilia's track record with parts delivery, I should have it by Christmas '03.  

By Salkhan on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 09:24 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

Xmas '03!!

That's early!!  

By Myapriliarsv on Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 04:30 pm:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

Ed at Apriliaforum has 20 on order and they should be in within a few weeks....  

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 07:20 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

I'll keep the site up to date on when mine comes in. Has anyone had the pleasure of changing one? Jorge seemed to hint it was a real pain in the "arse." 

By Myapriliarsv on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 05:32 pm:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

Noooooooo he was calling you a real pain in the arse

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 08:55 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

GRRRR!

Hey now! 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation