The RSV sidestand sucks! Are there other options?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : The RSV sidestand sucks! Are there other options?
By Scottaride on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 12:05 am:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

I have a 2001 RSV (New shape) and the short stumpy sidestand is bloody dangerous. The bike will topple over on anything but level ground. The stands too short and also angled to steeply. The only bonus is that you can pivot the bike on it and spin it around, which is a cool trick when you ride into a park forward, then just spin it around on the spot and ride it out when you leave.

BUT.....I have a sneeky feeling the US spec bikes have a different stand that extends further out (Maybe they were scared of being sued when some RSV owner has their bike fall on them?)

If the US spec is the same, do you know of other longer stands fitting?
Cheers
Scott, New Zealand  

By Befbever on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 07:42 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Yes.
1st and best option is to change the crappy sidestand yourself or have it done if you don't weld. It's all been described here
The second option is to get one from Cyclecat
Scroll to the bottom of the page. I wouldn't spend any money on that, seeing it's yet to be proven if in fact it's better than what you have. Just MHO.

Hope this helps 

By Crmc33 on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:13 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Im on the verge of fitting a new thicker foot on the base of my Falco's stand. If it works I will be making more, if youre interested.

Another option for you anyway.

email me, falconeer@onlinehome.de 

By Cplus on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:39 am:  View Cplus's Profile Search for other posts by Cplus Edit this post

I've watch the sidestand debat with great interest because I've never felt my '01 US-spec Falco's stand was a problem and couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. It turns out that there is a difference in sidestands for the US vs. the rest of the world (someone confirmed this on another list). So you might look into a US-spec sidestand if you don't fabricate something. 

By Tokas on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 08:49 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

Yes there are several differences between the Falco stand for USA and rest of the world;
Lateral stand
Stand plate
Central stand fixing screw & nut

Take a look at this page from the Falco Spare Parts Catalogue

FalcoSidestand.pdf

By Tokas on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 09:04 am:  View Tokas's Profile Search for other posts by Tokas Edit this post

OK, that didn't work...

But the filesize was to big >5 MB... Now it's cropped to 56 kB.

application/pdfFalcoSidestand.pdf
falcosidestand.pdf (56 k)

By Nickp on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 04:40 am:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

FYI fellas-
I've just priced up the stand plate and stand (UK version - dealer unable to price US parts) to give me a rough idea how much the US version might cost. Wait for it..... £86.61 + VAT !!
That's a fair lump of dosh to shell out when I don't know how much of an improvement it'll be over std without trying it first, especially with the ride height maxed out. Thanks for the info though Tokas & Cplus.

Crmc33- any progress on your solution fella ? How is it gonna be fastened to the 'stand ?  

By Crmc33 on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 05:05 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

It will be held on with a countersunk screw and requires the drilling of one 6mm hole thru the base of the stand (so it can still be removed if the ride height is reduced in the future).
I will fit it when Im back in the UK on Sunday and take some piccies. It should work well in theory but I will let you know.
I dont want to get into selling goods on the ARS, Ive probably upset Jorge enough already, so contact me away from the site if you would like further info. 

By Nickp on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 06:44 am:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

Sounds pretty much like what I've done already. I've drilled a hole thru the base. Then screwed from the top down thru an ally plate in which I have threaded the hole, then cut off the screw flush. I thread locked the screw but it soon worked loose and the plate then span around on the stand (not good). So then I drilled / threaded two smaller holes in the plate next to the 2 front corners of the stand (furthest away from bike) put 2 screws in with a plate above the 'stand to clamp it.
Make sense ?? It does work, but looks pretty pants. Ideally, if I could get another 'stand I'd like to make an adjustable one with threaded bar. The saga continues.  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 06:48 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

I read somewhere that a GSX-R600 side stand fits directly to the RSV and is slightly kicked out more when down so gives more stability. Anyone know any morea bout this....?  

By Nickp on Monday, August 19, 2002 - 07:36 am:  View Nickp's Profile Search for other posts by Nickp Edit this post

Yeah it's on the Falco bit. Thread is:- For all those riders with Ride Height Adjustable Rear Shocks.... I'm quizzing Seedy about it at the moment. Watch this space....  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation